Morrissey reissuing 'Bona Drag' with 6 unreleased tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slicing Eyeballs, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Wolverhampton is finally getting a proper release!??! Very exciting and LONG overdue!

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's been out in the "ether" for years if you knew where to look. Not particularly good either.

3. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

So I've heard from someone I know at EMI. A few months ago, Morrissey went in to talk to them about both a new recording contract and a comprehensive reissue of his back catalogue. I think he's signed a one-off deal with them for a new album.

They started with Bona Drag because it's a compilation of his earliest hits, and thus an ideal way of promoting the reissues.

Viva Hate is reverting to its original cover. And yes, the complete Wolverhampton show is said to be coming out. It was a short gig. Just over 40 minutes long and constantly interrupted by stage invasions.

4. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Brilliant! The copy that's been circulating is unlistenable. With the amazing version of "Sister I'm A Poet" on "Hulmerist" having teased us for years, this is beyond long overdue.

5. frank010

Absolutely. Sweet & Tender Hooligan from that show was released as a B side to Interesting Drug. Really powerful version.

6. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i hope they'll release the full Costa Mesa, CA show from where the live version of Trash is from. i'd definitely buy that as that was the second ever concert i went to. (the first was the Ramones/Tom Tom Club/Debbie Harry Escape from New York Tour).

7. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

Yes indeed! We know the audio exists, we know the video exists...come on, make us supremely happy with both.

I think I have that show buried somewhere. Let me look - if I find it, I'll PM you.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Whoa, glad they're all getting the full treatment.

9. sf74

sf74 Active Member

great! i didn't know that particular show had made the (underground) rounds.

10. frank010

The Costa Mesa show may be the bonus disc on the Kill Uncle reissue. I should point out that both this and the Wolverhampton show are pencilled in as extras (EMI have the recordings in their vault), but Morrissey is famous for changing his mind about archive stuff and pulling material at the last minute. Striptease With a Difference and November The Second were set to be released as a bonus disc with the Suedehead compilation and got as far as test pressing stage, when Morrissey changed his mind. There was also the matter of the Boxers EP, which was to have contained 'Sunny' as an extra track. Cassette and vinyl promos were sent out to the press, but he pulled the track. Ditto Black Eyed Susan, which was set to be a B Side, but again was pulled.

A friend of mine worked at Sanctuary when Morrissey was signed to them. You Are The Quarry went through multiple reconfigurations.

11. handinglove7

handinglove7 New Member

Hi Frank
    Can you tell me if the Wolverhampton CD is either an enhanced thing- meaning its the video of the Wolverhamptonconcert or if its the Audio of the concert?
    One Audio Song of the Concert- we know "Sweet and tender Hooligan" as a B-Side from "Interesting Drug."
    Thank you.

12. handinglove7

handinglove7 New Member

I would rather guess audio, right?

13. frank010

As far as I know it's just audio. I think the gig was pro-shot though - from the side of the stage - but the constant stage invasions rendered the results unusable.

I know Morrissey records all his shows - or at least used to. He doesn't listen to the tapes afterwards, but Boz Boorer, his main guitarist/musical arranger/co-writer does.

14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Forum Resident

Interesting. Do you have any more information about possible unreleased tracks from that period? I know that he has recorded Home Is A Question Mark, which has never materialised.

15. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Ah, I did not know that! Where did you hear that? I'm glad I've been putting off buying his catalog now. I figured everything would get the deluxe treatment someday.

I could never justify buying those overpriced singles box sets but I'm definitely going to pick up the three disc set, as I've seen it for around $22.

16. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident

17. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

18. George P

George P Notable Member

19. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Has there been any word of a domestic issue of the vinyl? I don't own the original of this title on vinyl because it was a UK only pressing and impossible to find in the states. It would be nice if they were to make this available for the first time on vinyl in the states. I don't want to have to pay import price and shipping.

20. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

$44 for the vinyl? I've become a big Smiths fan over the past few years and don't have anything Morrissery.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Please get Viva Hate, his first solo album. It's incredible!

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Viva Morrissey!!

23. Rob L

Rob L Forum Resident

24. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

25. frank010

Pick it up by all means, because you'll have a peerless collection of singles and extraordinary B Sides. But don't expect it to sound good, because it doesn't. I have the singles collections, in both their two volume boxed replica sleeve formats and the 3 CD version, and it sounds pretty poor - as in muffled. The vinyl is great though, obviously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.