More BLUE NOTE MANIA! New Acoustic Sounds 45 RPM 180 gram vinyl cut by Steve & Kevin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

Called them the other day to ask about this series. The rep I talked to thought there would be a release this month, but did not have any title information. I kind of thought we would have heard the details by now, given that CES was this week.

2. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Any word from AP on what their first releases will be? I've checked their website and can't find any info. I'm guessing Art Blakey's "Moanin'" and John Coltrane's "Blue Trane" will be the first ones.

3. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I just called AP, it looks like there first releases aren't coming out until March.
    The guy I spoke to said that Kenny Dorham's "Whistle Stop" and Lee Morgan's "Lee Way" would be the first ones out.

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

At least I'll have my tax refund by then.:wave:

5. Ronflugelguy

Two trumpet players! sounds wonderful!

6. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Lee-Way?

Awesome! :thumbsup:

7. Ronflugelguy

This one needs to be Mono. Steve could you comment? Its my understanding that the stereo was rechanneled.

8. adhoc

Wow, where did you get that info from? I thought the big hoo-hah that was raised over the mono BN 'myth' being busted by SH's findings was the lsat word on the matter?

9. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I guess there's no other way than bite the bullet, as I did. Subscribed both of the sets. :D Weak dollar helps a bit though.

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Impossible (well, it's possible the LP was rechanneled). The two track tapes have to exist. RVG recorded the same way every time, he would not have gone back to using the mono tape machine.

11. Ronflugelguy

I have an early 90's Blue Note Connoisseur Issue of this that states it is electronically Rerecorded to simulate stereo. So maybe the original stereo tape is not available or lost. I know this was recorded 1960,but possibly the Mono fold down is the only tape available?

12. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

I wonder what has caused the delay on this series? You don't think...possibly...that they are improving the packaging on account of the beautiful job being done by MusicMatters? Hmmm...

One can only hope.

13. Another Side

There shouldn't be a mono tape. RVG's practice was to record straight to two track, and the mono LP's were made by folding down the two track tape. There should be no tape other than that.

14. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi Ron,

Actually we did this title at one of our first Music Matters Blue Note sessions. But it turned out that Acoustic Sounds had already pegged it for their series so the mastering that we did that day will be the LP that you get from Acoustic Sounds.

I can reassure that this title is NOT rechanneled stereo. We (Steve, Kevin, Ron Rambach and I) would NEVER do such a thing. The master is genuine stereo through and through. And it sounds better in stereo.

You'll love it!

Joe

15. Another Side

Now that I am home, I can attest that my Connoisseur cd series "lee-way" CD does not say rechanneled anywhere on it. :thumbsup:

16. Ronflugelguy

If I had a scanner, I'd show you the LP. However, I think I'll give it a listen tonight.Maybe its just a misprint. Joe, thanks for the info. I don't doubt for one moment that this version will be stellar.:righton:

17. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi Ron,

I also have that 90s Connoisseur LP. What happened was that the art department of EMI at the time scanned an earlier LP cover of LeeWay that actually WAS rechanneled! Someone didn't do a very good job of proofing and the mistake got through. Too bad, since the LP, as you will hear, is in real stereo.

It's awesome in 45 with brother Steve and Kevin's mastering!

Joe

18. Ronflugelguy

Joe, Am listening to Leeway right now. Haven't listened to this since I bought it way back when I had a lesser system. Not too bad. Its gonna be a great 45! Can't Wait!

19. adhoc

Thanks Joe for your reply - some great info there! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.