More BLUE NOTE MANIA! New Acoustic Sounds 45 RPM 180 gram vinyl cut by Steve & Kevin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Good grief!!! I'm gonna be broke!!!!!!!!:help:

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I appreciate you speaking your mind and feelings about the choices selected thus far. And if you would like to post 30 or 40 albums you feel are essential BN sides, please do. Short line or two on why they are important.

3. PhillyFan

PhillyFan Forum Resident

You're speechless and I'm going to be broke.

4. scotto

scotto Senior Member

This is nothing short of amazing. I thought my jazz-listening world had completely exploded with those Fantasy 45s. But this! Holy cats!

5. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

OMG. That screeching, wailing sound is my wallet begging for mercy! I hate being in this position. Really can't afford to buy a bunch of these at $50 each, but don't want to miss them forever either. Arrrgh!

On the bright side, it is apparent that we won't be seeing Steve at an intersection median with a cardboard 'Will Master for Food' sign anytime real soon......

It is nice to see people who do quality work rewarded for their efforts!

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Put in an order for nine titles last night. Hopefully Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch and Larry Youngs Unity will be in the Music Matters releases

7. 926am

926am Senior Member

According to link above out to lunch is one of the LP's due for release! Which nine did you pre-order??

8. With all these new Blue Note releases beg the question, "is it time to sell off my originals to fund the reissues"?

9. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I hope the AP covers are a little better quality on their Blue Note Series than they were on OJC's. Some of them looked like Color Xeroxes, or blow-ups from CD artwork. For $50, I expected a little more, but the sound quality was awesome. From looking at the AP list, it seems that they went for the bigger,safer titles like "Blue Train" and "Something Else" Many of these have had Audiophile pressings from Classic and EMI over the past few yrs. Chad wasn't very adventurous on his OJC titles, no Ornette, Kirk, Byard, Booker Ervin, McCoy, ect. His Blue Note titles seem to follow the same format.

I'm more excited by the Musicmatters list, It looks like they are taking more of a Chronogical approach. From their Press Release, it seems that this is just the start of the project. I'm sure we'll see more Hancock, Shorter, Henderson, Young, Tyner, Williams titles. I've heard that some of the master tapes are missing or are damaged, but for the most part the Blue Note tapes are in great shape

10. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I just pre-ordered seven of those titles. What a nice mania this is.:D

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

looks like I'll be pre-ordering many of these! WOW!

12. scotto

scotto Senior Member

That's what I'm considering, too. Since I prefer having the best possible sound over having the best possible artifact, I reckon I'll happily be unloading some originals in order to upgrade. (Unfortunately I don't own nearly enough to make much of a dent in what I'll be spending.)

13. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Given some of the drivers of this project are big collectors, I assume they thought about the impact this would have on the collectors market. Perhaps while some will sell and some will prefer to buy new vs big bucks for used there many be a balance of new buyers getting into BN from these and then wanting to collect some of the old?

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the prices of the old.

Do you think some of these titles will sell out with pre-order or how quickly will the top titles sell out? Week? 3 months?...just a guess?

I see there is a subscription...anyone backing up the money truck for that?

I perceive some of these as big sellers/popular/well regarded and big names for those new to jazz. What are some others that will sell out quickly, be similar big names, and/or good for beginners? Green Street? Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else

These seem like really big name titles to me and good ones for pre-order?:
    GO
    BLUE TRAIN
    MOANIN
    SOUL STATION

14. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

Does anyone know if preorders from Acoustic Sounds are charged all at once or as items become available?

15. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Acoustic Sounds never charge anything before shipping.

16. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I posted the news about these Blue Notes reissues/masterings on another board, and someone asked a question. Will any Blue Note albums released in Japan only become a part of this series at any time? One title of interest was Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique. I know it came out on CD two years ago, but people want it on vinyl.

I did do a search and didn't find an answer, but if it has been answered before, I apologize in advance.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Damn! How am I gonna pay my mortgage?? :yikes:

:righton: :D

18. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

They get charged once they are in stock and shipped. You NOT be charged for the entire SET all at once. :eek:

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Order placed for these at Acoustic Sounds:) .

Ginger is getting covered up with emails and phone calls:p .What a sweetie.And she is going to have a bambino so you guys be nice to that sweetheart and tell her how much we appreciate her.Lucky to have her there .We need to bug Chad to give her a raise or a christmas bonus!

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Another bambino?!!! :eek:

21. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:agree: :D Nice lady.Like talking to a family member over the phone.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Fantastic news on these pressings - totally awesome!!!

23. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

Let me do the math:

25 + 63 (From the other Blue Note collection) X $50 = $4,400.00

My wife is going to kill me.

24. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Gonna have to work extra hours or something, that's serious loot! :sigh:

25. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Don't forget to include the SH/KG mastered Warner Brothers vinyl in your budget.
    :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.