More BLUE NOTE MANIA! New Acoustic Sounds 45 RPM 180 gram vinyl cut by Steve & Kevin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Music Matters will release two titles per month.
    Acoustic Sounds will release two titles per month.

2. me, too.......and me, too

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Ben, Music Matters is putting out four a month:

http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/release.html

4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

thanks. that is wonderful. I was confused by music matters saying they are releasing four titles per month.

5. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Yikes, the folks at Acoustic Sounds and Music Matters will be making quite a pile of money off me in the coming months. I have found only a couple titles I would be unlikely to buy between both lists.

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I saw that they say 4 a month, but if you read the release dates of the first six titles its 2 in November, 2 in December, and 2 in January 2008.

My math works out to 2 a month. :D

7. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I'm seriously considering getting all of both sets. That should bring me to about 3000+ records. Quite enough music to explore for the rest of my life.

8. Another Side

Your math makes sense to me, but I think it says that after the first 6 they will release 4 a month. :D

9. alanb

alanb Senior Member

AP says 2 a month- that's 24 or as they make it 25 in a year
    MM is doing the first 6 at 2 a month THEN 4 a month.

needmoremoney needmoremoney needmoremoney

10. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I must have missed that. :D

Then again, vinyl release dates are etched in ice. We all know that.

11. Another Side

:agree:

12. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:love: :love:

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

yeah...I'm just trying to figure out disposable audio cash flow. I can do four a month but six is pushing it. i also have to support my local record shop.

14. Yes and no.

Where's Herbie Hancock?? -- not even ONE Herbie leader date??

Wayne Shorter?? -- not even ONE Wayne leader date??

Freddie Hubbard?? -- nothing.

Andrew Hill?? -- nothing. :cry:

Larry Young?? (Not even Unity?? :rolleyes: )

Something besides Joe Henderson's debut, which is Joe's most conservative date?? (Which is, by any measure, Joe's least important BN leader date.)

Even the domestic RVG CD reissue series has had more meat on the bone than this unbelievably tepid offering (and more meat on the bone from the very start).

Did Wynton pick all the titles in these series, or what?? :sigh:

15. Yes, I know, the people who care about these kind of audiophile offerings mostly have uber-conservative tastes.

That's the reality here, I know. Still annoys the crap out of me.

It's NOT like I'm askin' for Tyrone Washington's sole BN leader date (my current avatar, BTW). Or Cecil Taylor's two BN dates, or Ornette's various BN dates.

How can any Blue Note reissue series worth anything COMPLETELY ignore Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Andrew Hill, Larry Young, and (with but one minor exception) Joe Henderson???!!!!!

It boggles the mind. :shake:

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Rooster , my man( hehe Ive always wanted to know someone named that :cool: ) this is just the beginning. I am thinking someone said there will be much more. Hopefully some of those artists you mention will be in there.

17. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

What are you talking about? I see Open Sesame and Into Somethin' on the release schedule. Joe Henderson has three records comin' out (Page One, Our Thing, and Inner Urge). What about Juju? Isn't that a Wayne Shorter record?

(I missed mentioning Here to Stay by Freddie Hubbard. That one's comin' out as well.)

18. Nothing that I can see anywhere in this thread, or at any of the links in Steve's original post, point to any of the artists in my original rant (Hancock, Shorter, Hubbard, Hill, Young, and Henderson (save for his BN debut).

If I'm somehow mistaken, my apologies. But I just checked again (even did browser/page searches for "shorter", "hancock", "hubbard", etc...), and came up with nothing. Even confirmed that my page searches worked, by searching for the artists I could see listed, and they all did work.

19. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

No Herbie is just wrong. One Wayne is a disappointment but at least I got some Ju Ju. I would kill for Passing Ships.
    That would cover Andrew and sneak Woody Shaw in through the back door. And why not some Ornette, Don Cherry, Tony Williams, or Grachan Monchur III?

I agree the list is too conservative. All the same I'm in.

20. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Tom, there are two companies reissuing Blue Note records. Both use Hoffman/Gray team for mastering. :cool:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2865122&postcount=101

:wave:

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

this is a long-term reissue campaign. :chill:

22. Looking at the other list (from the link you gave, thanks!), I'll stand by 85% of my original rant.

Sure, there's two more Joe Henderson titles than I originally thought, and one (conservative) Wayne Shorter title, plus Larry Young's most conservative title. And two Freddie Hubbard titles.

51.BST 84152 Joe Henderson - Our Thing
    56.BST 84189 Joe Henderson -Inner Urge
    54.BST 84182 Wayne Shorter -Juju
    61.BST 84187 Larry Young –Into Somethin’
    30.BST 84040 Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
    49.BST 84135 Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay

Where's Herbie?? (nothing) Andrew Hill?? (nothing)

One Wayne Shorter album?? No Larry Young "Unity"?? No Sam Rivers "Fuschia Swing Song"?? I could list 30 or 40 classic progressive BN titles from the early and mid 60's, none of which are considered "avant-garde" by anybody's standards.

No McCoy Tyner??

By ANY measure, the lists (combined from three sources, I now realize) are incredibly, and almost painfully conservative. :rolleyes:

23. proust78

proust78 Forum Resident

Double wow! Glad to see five Jackie McLeans!

The judges have already called the winner of the hi-rez format wars for 2008... 45 RPM!

24. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Well, Blue Note was a conservative label if you must put it that way. :o

It's not as if two companies flooded the release list with Three Sounds and Jimmy Smith. I think they managed to hit the perfect balance in presenting Blue Note.

25. Why not release a more balanced offering from the start?

Like I said before, even the domestic RVG series (on CD) has always consistently and periodically thrown few bones to folks liking more progressive dates. Every one of those dates are absent here, among a pretty darn big list of BN albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.