Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Put up some scans Sam! Perhaps someone would bite!

2. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Depends on what they are worth. I'm poor. :(

3. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Just curious how the original poster found out about this release, including all the details. Don't get me wrong, I believe every word, I was just surprised that I couldn't find an announcement anywhere. And where did the box art come from?

I did however just receive the Rhino newsletter which has a hidden message. In the paragraph about Led Zeppelin, there is a boldfaced hyperlink that says HEAD. In the paragraph about The State, a bold hyperlink says IS and in the paragraph about Tony Joe White, a hyperlink says COMING. All of these link to the teaser page linked earlier in this thread. Cool!

4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

The announcements came from Facebook. First from Rhino's home page and then from Sandoval's. Box art is on the Rhino home page. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?re...ad-gets-rhino-handmade-treatment/436029908825

5. mr.schneider

I don't know what Sam wants, but one sold on Ebay a few weeks ago for $40.
    I think I paid $50 in the late 80's.

6. echosend

echosend Forum Resident

As long as ALL pre-orders are going to get the bonus single I'll be happy.
    I had placed my order for BBM the day it was announced, early afternoon by phone because the website wasn't working--I wasn't leaving the house (I was going to school) before that order was placed! I took expedited shipping, but not 2nd day.
    But I recall waiting and waiting and waiting while people were getting their copy weeks before I did, in other countries, with standard shipping, and who stated order dates well after mine. Rhino also said twice (I inquired) that I would receive shipping confirmation but there was none.
    I heard other people who got order confirmation numbers that were invalid, people had credit card problems at Rhino's end, some were eventually getting everything together while others were getting things separate. It was quite obvious that Rhino was not shipping first come first served.
    It was a LONG wait. But admittedly it was worth it.:goodie:
    Luckily I did get the 45 :) but not the poster, no big loss.

7. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Glad Rhino put this together in record time to match the BR/DVD fall release. Here's hoping Rhino's web-site/mail order dept has the kinks worked out for a much smoother pre-order. They should expect as many pre-orders as BBM got, so hopefully more than enough promo 45s this time. Man I love those promo 45s. :goodie:

Personaly, I'm glad we are getting the Davy interview, as my chances to ever hear it were about nil, without it. I mean the record sold for $1200+, thats just insane.

Is it worth $60? probably not, but I really want to support Rhino and gladly give up an extra wad of dough to keep them in business to see more Monkee releases down the road.

Here is another pic from that ebay set:

Attached Files:

8. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

I am psyched about this set, as the tracklist contains all the tracks/mixes that I expected it to have (except the "Prithee" acetate rough mix...but since a nicer version appeared on the BB&M box, it won't be missed), plus another CD worth of alternates and live tracks.

So what's left? If Rhino put out a bare-minimum 3-CD set covering the last three albums (and yes, it would be a shame in "Changes" went unrepresented), these are the bonus tracks that each disc should have (and can fit).

INSTANT REPLAY Sep 1968-Jan 1969:
    * Me Without You- early mix (Instant Replay reissue)
    * Through the Looking Glass- early mix (Instant Replay reissue)
    * If I Ever Get to Saginaw Again (Missing Links 2)
    * Carlisle Wheeling- later version (Missing Links)
    * Nine Times Blue- later version (Missing Links)
    * Look Down (Missing Links 3)
    * Smile (Instant Replay reissue)
    * Propinquity (I've Just Begun to Care) (Missing Links 3)
    * The Crippled Lion (Missing Links 2)
    * Some of Shelly's Blues (Missing Links 2)
    * How Insensitive (Missing Links 3)
    * Hollywood (Missing Links 3)
    - Teardrop City- mono promo mix (unreleased)

THE MONKEES PRESENT... Feb-Oct 1969:
    * Listen to the Band- early version (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * Listen to the Band- stereo (Greatest Hits) I'd prefer an album-length remix
    * St. Matthew- original release (Missing Links 2)
    * St. Matthew- weirder mix (Instant Replay reissue)
    * Mommy & Daddy- early version (Anthology)
    * Someday Man- released single version (but with "Monkee Business" count-in)
    * Little Red Rider (Missing Links 3)
    * Calico Girlfriend (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * Down The Highway (aka Michigan Blackhawk) (Missing Links 2)
    * Angel Band (Missing Links 3)
    * "The Monkees Present..." radio spot (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    - Opening Night (unreleased)
    - How Can I Tell You (unreleased)

CHANGES Nov 1969-Sep 1970:
    * I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally (2007 vinyl single) vocals: 1969
    * Penny Music (Missing Links 3)
    * Steam Engine (Missing Links 3) deluxe remix should be closer to 1991 mix
    * You're So Good- with Sam & the Goodtimers (Missing Links 3)
    * My Storybook of You (Missing Links)
    * The Good Earth (The Monkees Present... reissue)
    * If You Have the Time (Missing Links) but with longer fade, like the LP
    * Time and Time Again (Missing Links)
    * We'll Be Back in a Minute #1 (Missing Links 3)
    * We'll Be Back in a Minute #2 (Missing Links 3)
    * Do It in the Name of Love- released single version (Changes reissue)
    * Lady Jane- released single version (Changes reissue)
    - Steam Engine- Chip Douglas single version (unreleased on CD)

Although the two lost "Changes" session tracks ("Ride Baby Ride" and "Which Way Do You Want It") may never be found, we at least would have "Opening Night" and "How Can I Tell You" (and hopefully, a CD release for "I Didn't Know You Had It In You Sally") to look forward to.

Of course, there's always the option of a fourth disc, but what to put on it? And how much would it add to the cost? And where would the series go from there? Would a reunions 2-CD set even be feasible (from a legal angle)?

Hopefully, these thoughts will give us something of meat to discuss while waiting for the new "Head" set. :D

9. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

I'm all for this stuff seeing the light of day! Maybe get some new insight from the guys about how they feel about this latter-day Monkees stuff. I wonder if Davy is still pissed off about CHANGES?:laugh:

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Great list. I'd prefer the 2 CD deluxe sets for IR & Present.

Darryl

11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

At this point, I'd like to see Rhino go back and do the entire catalog as 3-CD boxed sets.

I'd have absolutely no problem going back and buying the first four albums yet again if they were done like the BBM box.

12. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I doubt that would be a popular opinion around here, but I would too. Love the design of the BBM box.

13. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

You think this will sell as much? It would be nice, but I think BB&M had more going for it--the much coveted (& expensive) mono mix of BB&M and a lot more unreleased stuff due to the nature of the sessions--I mean 3 fully packed discs of songs. From what I read from buyers on this forum, that seemed to be a big reason why it sold so much better than the 1st four deluxe editions. This has its selling points too: the unreleased live tracks & alternate mixes & possibly the most expensive (yet unknown) Monkees LP ever, but, unfortunately, there's only 6 real songs on Head, so there's not a lot to work with. I would like for this to sell as well, as I really want to finish the series....so hopefully I'm wrong.
    Of course, I'm getting my copy. Others need to buy their's too if they want future releases.

I think Davy released How Can I Tell You and Opening Night on CD. Of course, Rhino would do a better job with it.
    Might as well include Steam Engine's flip side & the Christmas songs since there's nowhere else to put those. Since these are a limited one-time release anyway, surely Chip & Rhino can work something out. ;)

14. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

I'd be very surprised if BBM sold more than the first 4 DE as they were available in stores (a few years ago when there actually were record stores) and BBM is availible through Rhino's website only. Any facts to back this up?

I believe sales surpassed expectations, but I would imagine that they pressed them in much smaller quantities.

15. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I agree. I think Rhino had the BB&M set ready to go before the layoffs and changes, and decided to print a small quantity to recoup some of the cost already invested, and was pleasantly surprised when all of us Monkee nuts overwhelmed their expectations-so much so that they had to order a second printing of the set to cover the amount of pre-orders. That success got us the Head set, I'll bet. If Head comes close to the BB&M sales, I think we'll get another set for 1969 (or maybe 2 if we are lucky).Rhino is willing to continue, as long as it's profitable for them to do so. Let's do our best to make sure they are happy with Head sales :wave:

16. florette69

florette69 Forum Resident

Simple answer: http://www.rhino.co.uk/rhino-handmade.htm

17. florette69

Agreed, and in any case I don't get the 'ramshackle weirdness'. To my ears, Head contains some of the Monkees' most polished and sophisticated work. Five utterly spellbinding songs including two works of genius by Peter Tork. And Porpoise song is simply outstanding.

18. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Carole said to Micky she'd witten "Porpoise Song" for him..the lyric "Riding on the backs of Giraffes for laughs" was from "Circus Boy" where Micky,as Mickey Braddock,rode on the back of an Elephant at the beginning of the show..he'd sung his theme on Monkees' series show "Monkees At the Circus" as they entered the Big Top..it's (Porpoise Song) about suicide,BTW,hence the cue at the bridge jump scene as Micky plummets into the bay.

19. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Well on second thought, you're probably right. I do think Head has a lot going for it (Nicholson, Zappa, some of the Monkees best songs) and when the movie comes out before Christmas then sales might get a second hit. So maybe not as many pre-orders as BBM, but Head does have some legs....

However future releases don't really have the kind of multi level marketing tie-ins that Head has to offer and digital downloads don't make sense with most of the bonus tracks already out there on the Missing Links series.

Sure, hard core fans would buy them, but without the group back in action I don't see how Rhino can pull in the kind of numbers to make any more money here. But I don't know, how many units would Rhino have to sell to make a profit? Some bands take pre-orders until they have enough to make a batch of cds. I guess Rhino could do that.

But then there is the fact of the layoffs coming this month. WBG had 25 million in profits 3rd Q a year ago and now they are in the red 1 million (ouch). I'm not sure physical releases will continue much after Head. I feel very fortunate that we are getting Head.

20. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I bought one BIN about 2 months ago for $14.99. Terrific shape, too.

21. mr.schneider

You got a steal deal!!! :thumbsup:

22. florette69

Thanks for the insight. I gathered the song was about giving in, but didn't spot the Circus Boy reference before. Obvious now you say it! The song in itself is a wonderful work, but hearing it through the opening titles of the movie adds considerably to the pleasure.

23. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

In the post-HEAD era, I'd be most interested if Andrew uncovered any master tapes for the alternate songs added to the repeats of the TV series. A good quality copy of the "If You Have The Time" TV mix would excite me quite a bit.

24. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I'll buy one too. I also wish it included the re-mastered movie & live tracks.

25. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Heck, for that matter throw on the episodes with the alternate songs themselves (or some of the 1969 TV appearances) on a DVD if you need to fill out a IR/Present set! I'd buy that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.