Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

There was never a dedicated mono LP of HEAD. Just (until now) mono mixes in the film soundtrack (single sides excluded).

2. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

In Warner Bros. cartoon fashion, just hit yourself over the head with an iron skillet. It feels the same.

3. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Too bad they can't include some cold gravy with a hair in it!

4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

In!
    Love the last Monkees Handmade set, really plush and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Head so pre-order day 1 for me too.
    Loverly.

5. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Thanks for the info about the 3rd disc!!! Looking forward to hearing it now.

6. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Wow, it's like they were listening to us! I guess our rabid purchasing of "The Birds & the Bees..." paid off. Okay, we're getting the remastered original, the alternates, the mono mixes, some Salt Lake City tracks (that we previously heard didn't exist), and the interview. I believe that every one of these items has come up on wish lists in these forums. Every preorder gets the 45 (not just the first 1000). No DVD you say? C'mon, the upcoming Criterion release should outshine Rhino's prints. Not interested in Davy's interview? Okay, but it is perhaps the rarest of all Colgems releases.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=300331402136

How I love Rhino!

7. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

8. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

NO WAY :righton:

I'm loving it too. What a great job Rhino (and Andrew) have been doing for over 20 years and long may it continue. Sure, it costly at times.. the BB&M box worked out at around $100 to get it over here and it never was may favourite album but WOW... what a release!

And like most on here, I want more!!!

• the remaining albums - or Instant Replay & Present at least
    • Sam & the Goodtimers material
    • Mike's Nashville & Hollywood 68 tracks.. backing tracks, whatever's there
    • 33 1/3 material
    • and any solo stuff

Let it roll.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Wasn't that made especially for Japanese audiences only? Because,if my memory isn't fading (And it ain't) there was also a Japanese "Interview" record Davy made for them,too..was this the one?

10. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

Hi!

Did you have to pay import duty too? I've been put off getting this set due to the costs of getting it over here.

Stephen

11. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Mike - The one in Japan was a flexi-disc (45 size) with limited Davy interview which included snippets of him talking about their up coming movie. This pops up on ebay from time to time. The album shown above was for promotional only that was suppose to just go to radiio stations but by November 68 the Monkees were old news. Very very surprised one finally showed up after all these years.

12. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Without this set I know there was NO way I would have been able to hear that third disc. I was ecstatic when I saw it, even if it may not warrant repeated listenings.

13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Count me in and let's hope Rhino will continue beyond this! They could give us one more big four CD set with everything else which would round it all off in a nice and tidy way!

Groovy!

14. mr_mjb1960

Does anyone know if "California" will be a transfer from Acetate or will this be from a Mastertape?

15. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

YES! YES! YES! :righton::righton::righton::righton:

Wish they would find the two outtakes from "Changes".

16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I believe Sandoval's book states that this was the only complete 33 1/3 track where the multi tracks are available.

17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Correct!:righton:

18. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Ha..I'm looking up to see if the anvil is falling...I know I'm a sucker, but would love to hear the rumored alt mix of Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere, live performances of all 4 and any other rarities.

19. mr_mjb1960

Make sure it says "ACME"!:laugh:

20. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Now you'll be able to 'interview' Davy yourself! :righton:

The less grumpy, younger version of Davy, that is.

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I still wish they would have included the rest of the live Salt Lake City material. Who cares about vocals when you can hear Micky Dolenz actually playing the drums? ;)

22. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

Hey, hey, we are The Monkees
    We've said it all before
    The money's in, we're made of tin
    We're here to give you more!

..whoa

23. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

I'm anxious to hear even more of the Ditty Diego session... the last time all four guys were together in a recording studio til the Justus project!!

24. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Yeah!

This feels like the last chance to get those live tracks released. I can understand that space is limited on a CD and it may seem like better use of the space could be made for tracks with vocals...but if not on the CDs, then how about Rhino makes them download only for those who purchased the set?

Anyone?

25. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

No different than having something like Monkees Down Under..except it's rarer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.