Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

2. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

AWSOME NEWS!!
    I'll have to start putting some cash aside for this one.
    Thanks for continuing these Monkees deluxe reissues RHINO!!!

3. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

IMHO, this is not a good deal like the BBM set was.

I bet 95% of us who buy this set last no more than 5 minutes on Disc 3, which is then never to be played again.

Disc 3 should have been a Blu-Ray of the film and the Davy Jones Interview could have been a free download.

We are essentially paying $60 for a two-disc set.

4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to the HEAD blu-ray and I also hope that it is sold seperately.

I'll have to pass on this set because I just don't think it's worth $60. BB&M was ace!

Ah well, one more for you lot. Makes me sad to say it. Maybe if there wasn't a new Neil Young coming as well as Apple reissues, Hank Williams & John Lennon box sets, Band on the Run reissue, Bob Dylan goodies, and more.

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I just hope they'll Remix the soundtrack to 5.1 Surround Sound,using the Stereo soundtrack,instead of that Dishwater Mono track Columbia's been using now for decades...it's so outdated now.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I don't have much interest in surround sound, but it will supposedly come with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition

7. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

So if there's unreleased mono movie mixes for “Can You Dig It” and “Daddy’s Song” does that mean "Circle Sky" will be the March 1969 mono mix, or is that too late of a date to be included in this set, I wonder?

As someone else mentioned, that Davy Jones interview was sold on ebay not too long ago for a whole lot of money, so it'll be interesting to have it included.

If anything wasn't included, I'm sure there's good reason. And for those who passed on BB&M deluxe...wow..I think they're really missing out.

Anyway...fantastic news! I definitely want to pick this one up!

Now I really, really, really want them to get through Present!!

8. juniorleaguer

juniorleaguer Member

I am BEYOND excited about the Salt Lake City live stuff! I have wanted this forever! I don't know why they aren't releasing the whole show, but I will take what I can get!!

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Not to speak for Mr. Sandoval, but he posted on Facebook today that the songs from Salt Lake City on the box set are the only ones with vocals present. The rest of the concert recording apparently fell victim to faulty mics.

10. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

Well...I'd rather hear the rest of the un-miked concert, which is historic, than hear Davy blab on in an interview.

11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Makes sense. The song they were going to use in the movie featured Mike on lead vox. The songs listed are all songs with Mike as lead vocals. I'd love to hear the other songs, but I'm thrilled to be getting You Told Me in concert :goodie:

Did Andrew post anything else on Facebook about this set? I'm glad he is involved in this set!

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The live tracks make this a must buy for me. I was hoping some of the Japan stuff would be on there as well though. I'd do terrible things for a live version of Cuddly Toy.

Anyone know if the Porpoise Song and As We Go Along remixes from the Listen to the Band box will be on the new set?

13. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

I'm shocked to see this so soon after BB&M. What an empty-wallet fall this is gonna be, but don't mistake that for complaining. My ears are gonna be soooooo happy!

14. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

I wonder if the Japan tracks will be part of an upcoming "Instant Replay" (or just a general 1969 if they can't cobble one together for that album alone) deluxe set? One can hope...

And yeah, the "promo" disc seems a bit of a waste. Oh, well. They're getting my money anyway...

15. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

This really is incredible news. And it's coming just 8 months after the BBM set.
    Kudos Rhino.:righton:

16. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I was assuming the alternate stereo tracks of those 2 songs not notated as previously unreleased are those mixes?

17. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I was too, as they're listed as previously released.

18. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Artwork is about as obscure as John Brockman's head... :)

[​IMG]

19. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the new HEAD CDs. The vaults have to be pretty close to empty at this point (although Rhino still surprises me with what they pull out) so the lack of 'new' material doesn't really bother me. If the rest of the SLC concert was inaudable due to bad miking then I can understand why they wouldn't include it. It doesn't bother me much, I'm happy with what they have put on there.

I just noticed that the DVD version of HEAD notes that there is now commentary by all four Monkees. Is this true? I thought Nesmith didn't participate in any commentary.

If I read it right, they only have commentary on the Blu-Ray edition correct? I dont' have a Blu-Ray player so I guess I'll miss out on that. Looking forward to reading peoples thoughts and reviews of both sets on this board.

20. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's involved too. Don't know the answer to the question, but it did bring back some memories of something that's happened again...more Rhino layoffs : http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118023766.html?categoryid=16&cs=1

better pick this release up while you can & support physical product!

21. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

No, commentary is on both DVD & blu-ray, and Criterion now says Michael Nesmith will be involved!!

•Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork

http://www.criterion.com/films/27527-head

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh hell yes, I'm in!

I'm passing on the Criterion box, however, and hoping HEAD will make it to a stand-alone Blu-ray Disc in time.

23. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

Back in the mid-'90's, when I used to buy rare Beatles "imports" ("Unsurpassed Masters", etc), the normal price was always $30 a disc, so given the packaging, booklet, etc, I feel like I'm getting a good deal.

24. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

If this price helps to keep the Monkee reissues going...I'll gladly pay. I would be disappointed if the deluxe reissues came to an end with Head. Heck, I’m still counting on the reunion years deluxe reissues!!

Thanks to Rhino and Andrew again!

25. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So I'm correct in assuming that there was an actual dedicated mono LP mix of Head available in 1968 and that this is what we're getting on the box? It's not just an alternate mono mix which was never released at the time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.