Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No, they don't.

2. KeithH

SACDs of In A Silent Way, Kind of Blue, and Blonde on Blonde again? :rant:

I'll be getting these discs. :D

3. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Do they want me to buy the same stuff again on SACD. Unbelievable...... I thought there were some other stuff in great need for a Hi-Rez treatment.

4. KeithH

I look at it this way:

* Four and More and The Basement Tapes haven't been released on SACD.

* The original Miles Davis SACDs are pretty expensive now since most of them are out of print. The Japanese hybrids are still available, but are still more expensive than the MFSL discs. If you missed out on the Sony SACDs, these MFSL discs are a good deal. Even if you have the Sony SACDs, these MFSL discs could be better.

* While the Sony Dylan SACDs are still available cheap, there is a good chance that the MFSL discs will be better. If you already have the Sony SACDs, at least you don't have a lot of money invested in them.

5. Why couldn't they release the complete 1964 Philharmonic Hall concert in concert order? It is presented that way on the Seven Steps to Heaven box, and before that they did release both Four and More and My Funny Valentine on a 2 CD set:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-concert-1964-my-funny-valentine--four-more-r161587

It is a great sounding recording, but it is frustrating that they are only releasing half of it instead of releasing the entire concert as a 2 SACD and 4 LP set.

6. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Four and More, Nefertiti, and Filles were all released in Japan as SACDs.
    Miles in the Sky never was.

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I doubt Blonde on Blonde (remastered from the o-tapes) will sound better as the remix... see AP's Getz/Gilberto disaster. Maybe the others willl sound 1% better than the JSACDs.... like SRV, Santana ;)

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I got excited when I read this thread's title, wondering what Miles Davis titles would be seeing the light of day on SACD for the first time. Then I saw the list. I have all of them on SACD already! :)

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm totally on board with the Miles Davis vinyl releases since I have no Miles on vinyl. Could care less about the SACD's, though.

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I ordered all six Miles, even though I have these (except Four & More) on vinyl from 20-30 years ago. These will be the first MFSL albums in my collection in decades. I had some rock half-speed masters a long time ago, but they are long gone.

11. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

How about On The Corner, Live Evil or Dark Magus? On the Corner would be amazing in audiophile quality.

I'm on board with "In a Silent Way" coming out again on vinyl though...got an original on ebay that was terribly warped, so this will be a nice replacement.

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

There are plenty of good sounding CDs out there of Dylan and Miles. The world doesnt need MFSL for these.

I will skip these and keep asking for more Sinatra.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm interested in this one, if this is true, but I'm gonna wait for the forum reviews before plunking down my $99 to see 1) if they did actually use the original master tapes, and 2) if the original master tapes still sound good, or are in fact damaged.

14. What was it that Einstein said about the definition of lunacy? Oh, I remember...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. a lot of labels seem to release the same old chestnuts over and over. Why, because the same people will keep buying them every time. Einstein was one smart dude!

15. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

You kid, but I'd love to see Pavement done by mofi...

16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I recently sold my Classic Records 45rpm set of Kind of Blue. I wonder how this new set will compare.

17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Check out the hybrid JSACD reissue of On The Corner (there's an older, single-layer version also available via Sony Japan). OTC is perfect for DSD: the brightness of the recording is smoothed just a bit, and a wealth of detail emerges from Miles' thick textures. The SACD has gotten great reviews on the interwebs, including from our forum friend Claude.

I've got hybrid JSACDs of KofB, IASW and OTC, as well as a single-layer JSACD of Sorcerer, and have a hard time thinking they can be bettered. In the case of KofB and IASW, you've got multichannel as well.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

MFSL really scored here getting some A-list titles.

However, there have already been recent (and mostly hi-rez) versions of these, so it is tough for the general audiophile crowd (not all come here!) to get very excited.

19. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

BOB

If Blonde on Blonde is in fact from the original Mastertapes, and stereo, this will be significant- the original mix hasn't ever been on CD, has it? And not on record since- 1968?

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I disagree. Frankly, I have too much stuff. Most of my non-vinyl listening is via Subsonic server. I can't rip SACDs, so high resolution FLAC would be wonderful. :thumbsup:

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Neither can I listen to them in stereo much. I can't imagine these will be a sonic revelation.:cheers:

22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I ordered Kind Of Blue, Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde On Blonde.

23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

can anyone address MoFi's decision to use the mono tape for the Milestones SACD? Will this be a gain? I thought the stereo tape SQ was considered to be pretty decent.

24. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

While I recognize the iconic nature of a lot of these records, the incessant reissuing of them is unseemly. That said, I don't actually own any copy of Kind Of Blue. I own exactly one copy of Blood On The Tracks. Maybe there aren't many like me, but I would consider buying these MFSL releases. While I like these albums, I'm not in love with them, so I haven't been rushing to purchase the other attempts at remastering. I will be awaiting the forum comments on them, and hope that people find them worthwhile.

That said, I wish they'd have a go at something else. I haven't seen any remasters of Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat lately. How about that one? Or Paul Simon's self titled solo album? I thought the CD remaster of that was rather unexciting and lifeless compared to the vinyl.

There are many great, if not iconic, albums that really need remastering, and I certainly don't think Kind Of Blue fits that category.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

What? Three SACD versions of Kind of Blue is too many? Let's hope there are dozens more to come!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.