Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Let's see 8 x $30 = what? I am out some dough in coming months.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, its inferior to Blood. And I dont think its in the top albums of Dylans best. I know thats debatable and taste oriented. But I am going to write MFSL and ask if they would consider and why the reason it isnt being given the 45 treatment.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sea Change by Beck?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sprry , my post 102 was in response to Driver 8. My posting isnt letting me edit.

5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Same mix as the regular CD, but unedited to be precise :righton:

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That is a different mix than the standard CD? What's the story there?

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sorry Jason, here is the story from Music direct :hide:
    "Unlike previous digital versions, no compression or dynamic processing was used, making this 24k Gold CD not just the definitive version — it’s the only digital version worth owning!"

So it is not a remix but it does sound different than the other digital version I own.

8. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

+1

9. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

This seems bizarre-all the Bob Dylan titles are 45 RPM but Blood on the Tracks isn't? I wonder what the reasoning behind that is?

10. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Yep, and then after you pay that bill, someone will probably release Zeppelin on SACD or something...

11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Likewise the Quad mix of Desire, which is actually really good. Why they didn't release those two, but chose to do a 5.1 mix of Another Side, which is just a voice and a guitar...? Two wasted opportunities.

Alas, we probably won't see multichannels on any of these.

12. RedRaider99

Almost seems surprising they have not done Radiohead (at least the 90's catalog) yet. I'd have to buy those too, if they ever do!

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I thought of a couple more: the two Byrds discs (MTM and Notorious) also feature the CD debuts of the mono mixes of those albums.

But I'm still doubtful that there's any chance of MFSL using the original stereo mixes for BIABH or BOB. The original master tapes are said to be in too poor of shape to use (or possibly missing, in the case of BOB), and even if they had the budget to do a worldwide search and find foreign copy tapes, I can't see them using a multi-generation copy for a high-res release when they have a remix straight from the four track available.

14. RedRaider99

MoFi's releases seem to take several years to sell out on their site, so I think we have plenty of time to read reviews and comparisons here. Unless its your favorite album and you can't wait to hear it, I see no reason to pre-order anything they release.

15. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Milestones in mono would be nice.
    New Morning is so smooth, perfect recording for SACD.

16. RedRaider99

Too bad.

17. I will chime in and also say the Basement Tapes is a strange pick. That album I would much rather have an official release of the bootleg than to hear it on SACD.

18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Finally, we may have a good SACD version of "Kind of Blue".

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I'll probably spring for the 45rpm KOB as the Classic issue is way OOP.

Just out of interest, how many Dylan titles have been reissued by audiophile labels in the past?

Tom

20. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I definitely will be picking up Dylan: Blood On The Tracks on vinyl to supplement the copy I have, and just may buy Miles Davis:Kind Of Blue on vinyl. Again :)
    Have all the rest.

21. proftournesol

proftournesol New Member

Does anyone know, mono or stereo Dylans?

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

They haven't specifically said, which makes it highly likely it is stereo. If they were doing mono I would think they would publicize it in their promo material, like the email posted earlier in the thread.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The SACD remix of Blonde of Blonde was better than the remaster IMO. Mofi will use the original tapes.... I thought the tapes were in bad condition?

"As part of its Bob Dylan catalog restoration series, Mobile Fidelity is thoroughly humbled to have the privilege of mastering the iconic LP from the original master tapes and pressing it on 45RPM LPs at RTI."

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yeah I'm with you! for those albums up to and including "Blonde On Blonde", there's no reason for me to buy any other versions than the recent mono vinyl/CD box, which I have in both formats and which in my view will never be beaten.

Regarding the later albums I'm happy with the existing SACD's from Columbia, I would like to have "New Morning" on SACD though.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Looks like a missed opportunity to get some unjustly-ignored Miles reissued on SACD. Oh, for a well-done Nefertiti or Miles in the Sky or Filles de K......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.