Mobile Fidelity Announces Bob Dylan and Miles Davis Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadcoldfish, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I'm curious about Blonde on Blonde and The Basement Tapes on SACD. Would these be single- or double-disc releases? The item listings don't indicate these are more than a single disc for each, and they aren't priced any higher than the others in Mobile Fidelity's new series. I recall Sony stating in 2003 that its Blonde on Blonde required two discs. Has the technology advanced to the point that the new MFSLs can be contained to one disc per album?

2. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I think the reason BoB was a double SACD was because they had to fit the surround mix and the stereo mix onto the SACD layer, and it wouldn't fit on one disc.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I am very excited about the Miles titles.

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Disappointed that there isn't a single album from Miles' second great quintet, but nice to see Kind of Blue in 45 rpm.

5. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

I think you're right. Many thanks for the reminder, Schnozz. So how many minutes can fit on a single SACD? I guess more than the standard redbook CD limit of 80 minutes?

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Four out of the six Miles Davis titles have never seen an audiophile reissue on vinyl.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I think if it's stereo only, it's something ridiculous like four hours or thereabouts. For stereo + surround it's obviously a lot less.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Blood on the Tracks is exciting. There has never been a good-sounding CD version of that album. It's one of the worst of the 2003 remasters.

Basement Tapes on the other hand is a bizarre choice. I'm assuming they are using the old album master, with low-fi sound and everything collapsed to mono. The old 80's-era CD of that album actually sounds quite good, probably as good as that tape can sound. A strange choice for a high-res release.

9. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Now, they will re-do the SACD Rolling Stones series.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I really liked the Hybrid SACD of BOTT. Basement Tapes is a bad choice. Music is great, sonics are turdy.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I only have 1 copy of Time Out Of Mind and would welcome an audiophile treatment.

12. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Basement Tapes? Let's face it - at some point the music is more important than the quality of the recording.

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Really? Way too bright for me. All of those Calbi-mastered hybrids tend toward brightness, but BOTT seems to be one of the most extreme ones.

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

It was another album, "The Times They Are A-Changin'" that got a remix because the mono tapes were missing. "Another Side" is from the original master.

15. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

No downloads?

16. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

Count me in for BOTT and BOB. Only about 8 versions each for me :). Noticed as I placed my pre-order that Pet Sounds SACD is still on order from them as of 5/22/11!

17. art

art Senior Member

Why? You don't get anything.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

No..why would you expect any from Mofi?

19. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I've got all the Dylan I am going to buy, may not be perfect but I am satisfied with what I have, unless a better version of The Basement Tapes appears.

20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Not looking forward to buying the Bob titles yet again but what the hell. As usual because it's Bob I'm in.

Besides I need another Blond on Blond so I'll have a full deck

21. readandburn

Because this isn't 2002 anymore?

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

With MoFi, you wouldn't expect downloads with your vinyl, neither would you expect any from Audio Fidelity and you sure wouldn't expect any from Analogue Productions. Bonus downloads included with vinyl come from non-audiophile record companies, e.g. the majors.

23. readandburn

You get music files. Just like you get music files on a CD or SACD.

24. art

art Senior Member

Sometimes you get the feeling people don't actually read the threads here or at least do the math on why a company such as MFSL (or AF) would stick only to physical releases.

These Dylan & Davis releases will be great, and consistent.

25. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see Turn! Turn! Turn! and Younger Than Yesterday (with the original 8 Miles High/Why single as a bonus disc).

The Bootleg Series...all of them.

I love SACD. I wonder if this is a second wind or a last gasp.

:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.