Milty Zerostat Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timo, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Good question. I have no idea. Someone should test this.

2. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I bent over and purchased the Milty Zerostat 3 a couple of years ago to replace my old 1970s model which unfortunately became toast.
    The modern one works but IMO, not as good. It seems to have a bit weaker output than my ancient one.

3. TerryS

TerryS Forum Resident

You need to do both sides of an album. Vinyl is basically non-conductive, which means the static electric charge will not move. Otherwise it would be sufficient to just place it in contact with a grounded surface and all of the charge would bleed away. The zerostat generates a cloud of charged particles that are attracted to the opposite charged area on the record (opposite charges attract). The charges then 'neutralize' each other.

4. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

Interesting thread. I have been using it as recommended for a few years with good results. One question I haven't seen addressed is: is it ok to zap each side of the record at the beginning, and then play both sides? Or, should you zap side 1, play side 1, then zap side 2, play side 2?

Not sure it really matters but seems like the latter would be slightly better since the record picked up static when you played side 1, but my method seems to be doing ok.

5. atariguy39

atariguy39 Forum Resident

Sold my zerostat after a year and bought a Furutech Destat II and have had much better results.

GyroSE and OneChance like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Maybe I missed it in the previous pages, but wouldn't cleaning the record just remove the static from the disc
    or doesn't it work that way?

7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Evidently some RCM's actually add static. Unfortunately Static removal is not permanent condition and is an ongoing battle especially in dry environments.

8. Leonthepro

Yes wet cleaning removes static.
    And no some RCMs dont add static. They all do if used incorrectly and none do if used correctly.

9. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

This phenomina had been reported by RCM users on multiple forums, so your claim they used them incorrectly does not change the fact that RCM's can add static mate.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. Leonthepro

Anything can add static, the statement is null and void without context. Not everything can remove static however, but RCMs sure can.

Also, I was one of the ones who reported this problem, you might have read my threads on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.