Milty Zerostat Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timo, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

any difference?

2. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I don't know the science but I know on my vpi 16.5 rcm the brush creates mega static....so I'm assuming my audioquest will add some static (even though it's an anti-static brush) ....I get best results zerostat after any brushing.....

3. honestabe316

I'm also thinking about getting a small room sized humidifier for my listening room...sometimes I get static zaps when I to touch anything metal in my house....that can't help

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Well bugger me. Been doin it wrong for years. And probably ADDING static by doing it before I brush only. lol.

5. I cant praise the Vibro Stop mat enough. Huge sound difference. No static build up and just for good measure i give it a blast from the Milty from time to time.

6. honestabe316

Until last night I realized I had been using my zerostat incorrectly by just aiming it at the record and quickly pulling the trigger....I didn't realize it was a pull/ release slowly process.....but hey I only did it incorrectly for 2 years

:cop:

eddiel and tim185 like this.
  7. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I tried the three points of the triangle, using a slow press and release of the trigger, first on the surface and then aiming away for the final one, with a before and after a brush cleaning, a quick Zerodust on the stylus, blessed myself twice, and found it all so satisfying, and time consuming, that I didn't bother playing the record. But I have a static free collection!

BrewCrew82 and Micke Lindahl like this.
  8. honestabe316

It makes a hissing sound when released slowly....that must be the "Its working sound"

9. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I found this thread looking for Zerostat lifespan and thought I would share my two cents:

I picked up a Zerostat about six years ago. I had a problem with static building on my Xpression III where it would make a ticking sound through my speakers when I removed or flipped an LP. The Zerostat eliminated the issue almost immediately, and over those six years it has become an indispensable piece of my gear.

I use it once on each side of the LP before placing it on the TT. I also use it on the inside of sleeves if I suspect static buildup when I am pulling an LP from its jacket. I also use it in combination with my Spin Clean: I zap each side of the LP before washing and zap it again before re-sleeving it.

Occasionally, I will zap the area around the TT, such as the platter, behind the TT, and my stylus brush/Magic Eraser area, and occasionally the stylus when it is removed from the cartridge. If this thing ever wears out, I will purchase a new one without hesitation. Yes, it was sort of expensive for me, but it does its job and does it reliably well.

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually the element that produces the ion bombardment does have a finite physical life, you only get X number of squeezes out of one, so you will have to replace it some day.

11. honestabe316

That's what I thought

12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

That X number claims to be around 10,000 cycles. I have no idea if/when I will reach that. If/when I do, I will order another without hesitation.

chervokas likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I have one and I think it's great and I don't think anything short of a kind of lab ionizer works anywhere close to as well. They're great.

teag and Kristofa like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When I was using it, I always cringed when I did the same, thinking that the jolt through the cartridge could not be a good thing. You could hear it through the speakers if you had the volume slightly up at all. Anywhere near the cart and you could hear it going through the delicate cart's circuits.

Kristofa likes this.
  15. heybaby

heybaby New Member

Sorry for the bump and being a new member, but I'm having a difficult time with a new Milty 3. This is the most informative thread I've found online about this device. Here's my issue:

Each trigger pull/release is taking far more than 30 seconds each and I'm still getting that hard click/arcing a few times.

Something I haven't seen addressed is this -> do I really need to pull the trigger to completion if it's taking more than 30 seconds?

It seems to me that I wouldn't. Because the device is new and the coil (or whatever) is tight, a 3-5 second pull would still suffice. Any thoughts?

16. honestabe316

Well I just used mine 1 minute ago.....I slowly pull in the trigger until I hear the click....3 seconds tops....then I release slowly maybe 6 or 7 seconds....you can hear a slight hiss when releasing......if I don' get the click on first pull I do a couple primer half pulls then a full pull and I always get the click.....slow release is key

17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Ive read that there is a small amount of radiation emanating from the Zero stat, is this true?

18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

19. honestabe316

Actually I have a wall heater that heard my home.....if I'm diligent and refill the water reservoir every 2-3 days, it seems to put enougb moisture in the air to solve the static buildup.....my real problem is dust.....now that it's winter and my windows are closed I vaccumdd everything in my bedroom where my main system is and I still get dust....I vaccumdd the curtains....and everywhere dust settles and I'm still getting it.....I think I'm gonna buy a room size "Hepa" air filtration system.....i use one in my small basement room where i fun my vinyl record ckeaning business and its basically dust free....after 3 years no dust build up and in a basement to boot......that' my next aquisition....
    As far as people asking how to tell if your Milty is still working ? Simple.....point it at your cartridge and pull trigger....you will hear a bit of static....I saw other threads around the web with folks asking....

phish likes this.
  20. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't give a "click" anymore - is it still working or should I open and do something? I have the idea it's still working (a bit at least), but could also be that it's only the bluestat/statmat that helps on the static build up.

21. honestabe316

Did you try pointing it at your needle/cart with the table turning but the tonearm in its cradle? If you do this you should hear some staticky sound when you pull trigger and release slowly....maybe have the Milty 5 inches from the cartridge....

22. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

No... I won't dare to try that on my Dynavector 20x2 :) but do you know if the missing "click" could mean it's not working correctly.

23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Now I dont have one, and I dont know if this works at all, but one way to tell if a record is static without any tools is to use your arm hair, if you have any. Holding a record you know is static in one hand and then carefully hovering your arm across the record a few centimeters away from the surface you should feel your arm hair moving. Just something I noticed. If you can still feel your arm hair moving there is static left and the gun didnt work.

Danish Friend likes this.
  24. M.T.S.

M.T.S. New Member

phish likes this.
  25. Michael Wiley

Michael Wiley Well-Known Member

Do you need to repeat this for the other side of the record or does this basically work to remove what is "enveloping" the LP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.