Milty Zerostat Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timo, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

really give it a try.

;-)

2. golfchance

golfchance Forum Resident

I've got a question for everyone who has used the Zerostat. Is it always supposed to make a clicking sound (static shocks) as you squeeze and/or release the trigger, or only sometimes? Mine only clicks sometimes. Also, the pressure needed to squeeze the trigger is inconsistent. Sometimes it feels really loose.

Mine has always been this way, and I don't know if it's broken/worn out, defective, or normal.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Don't know the answer to your question, but mine clicks only sometimes as well, although the pressure is basically the same at all times. And it's brand new.

4. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

You're supposed to squeeze it slowly so it doesn't click. It works by bending a crystal. I think the clicks are there as a safety release in case you pull it too quickly.

Eric

5. terra1

terra1 New Member

That's my understanding as well.

If it clicks you're squeezing or releasing to fast.

It should be slow and smooth enough where it doesn't click.

pull One thousand, two thousand,
    release one thousand two thousand :D

Dino likes this.
  6. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Mine take about five seconds each for pull and release or it clicks.

Thrakintosh likes this.
  7. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Yep. That's how I read to do it, and it seems to work for me.

I've probably had mine for 20 years, and it still works fine. Although, I wouldn't say that it has been heavily used.

8. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

According to Milty, the clicks happen when the trigger is pulled too quickly. However the Zerostat is designed so that the clicks actually prolong the life of the device, so it's not damaging the unit when you hear the clicks.

I don't understand it, but I've had good results going with what the manufacturer recommends.

Dino likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Did not know that. Thanks.

10. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

The clicks are actually a discharge of energy.

I don't know if it's something intentional, to prevent damage, but it is definitely a discharge. If you put the end of the gun against a non-sensitive part of your hand, you can feel the shock. DON'T put it on the end of your finger. That'll smart. Try the bottom part of your palm on the pinky finger side, where it's fairly padded with fat. It'll click quite a bit when you do that, and you'll feel the little shocks. Still squeeze it slowly, or you can get a more painful shock. :D

I'm guessing it has a piezo crystal, similar to a barbecue igniter.

11. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

The louder click that happens when you pull the trigger (or release it) too fast is different than the faint ticking that's continual when you use the gun.

12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Ok, stupid question from someone who can't decide whether to buy a Zerostat. Do you use it before or after you've used your brush of choice on the record?.

13. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

After.

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Thanks muchly.

15. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Why after? Seems like after static is neutralized, dust and lint would be easier for the brush to pick up.

16. robinje

robinje New Member

I use mine before brushing for this very reason.

17. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Maybe before and after, since the brushing could induce a static charge?

18. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I assumed a carbon fiber brush, which is also an anti-static device. It would be bad if your anti-static brush was indicing a charge.

19. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I have a Discwasher brush, which I do not believe is carbon fiber.

20. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

It's not. I use the gun first then the carbon brush...every side. I've also adopted the three-point gun on a stationary disk method. More time consuming but what's the rush? I also use the Onzow Zerodust at the beginning of each listening session.

21. robinje

robinje New Member

I do the same as you, but I only zap the record prior to brushing the first side. I figure that the Milty removes static from the whole slab of vinyl, not just the surface. But... what do I know??? I also use the Zerodust after playing each side and I also clean the stylus with Lyra SPT after roughly every 4-6 sides or so, or if I just feel like doing it.

22. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I'll have to grab an old beat piece of vinyl, some styrofoam peanuts and the gun and do some tests.

23. golfchance

golfchance Forum Resident

I would think you'd have to zap each side. The very act of playing the record creates static, does it not?

24. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Brush on vinyl creates static, particularly in low-humidity environments. If in doubt, use Zerostat twice. :)

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Anti-static brushes create static?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.