Miles Davis: Which versions of Agharta and Pangaea are on the new Japanese Blu-Spec?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evilcat, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

-Does the 2006 really have the extra 10 min?

2. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

You're right, just checked. So, is this now correct?

1991 - vinyl mix, first CD issue
    Agharta
    Pangaea

1996 - remix to full concert length
    Agharta - full concert (+10min)
    Pangaea - full concert (+2.5min)

2000 - slightly more compressed version of 1996 issue
    Agharta - full concert (+10min)
    Pangaea - full concert (+2.5min)

2006 - remastered using DSD
    Agharta - shorter version - sounds remarkably close to the Complete Columbia... version.
    Pangaea - trimmed the 3 mins off to match original running time

2009 - remastered to match original vinyl sound
    Agharta - 10 mins shorter than 2000 issue
    Pangaea - 30 sec longer than 2006, 90 sec shorter than 2000

Complete Albums Collection: 2000 edition
    Agharta - As 2009 edition
    Pangaea - As 1996 edition

proedros, SOONERFAN and Claude like this.
  3. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

The first cd issue was the Japan 50DP, from 1985,,,,

ultron9 likes this.
  4. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Sorry - I know this is a thread about CD versions of the two great live albums, but as several people have referred to the vinyl originals, I thought I would chip in here.

I have just picked up, very reasonably priced, an original 1975 Japanese vinyl of Agharta (SOPJ 92). Sounds great, condition good (after I cleaned it). This is the way I want to hear this music. I have a similar tendency with 70s reggae and Fela Kuti albums - something about the bass sound.

My question is this: apart from the original Japanese vinyl of Pangaea, which seems harder to find, is there a decent vinyl reissue of Pangaea? I am very wary of the 4 Men With Beards one - but someone somewhere mentions a Dutch Columbia release - is this worth pursuing? Of course, if I can find a Japanese original in the mean time, I'll go for that. (According to Discogs, there are 3 separate Japanese releases pre-dating the CD era.)

As for CDs, I have the two Mastersound editions from Japan. They are good, but Agharta meanders a bit with that extra 10 minutes, and I prefer the reverby sound of the vinyl version, which presumably was part of Miles and Teo's original intention.

rcdupre likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.