Miles Davis Kind of Blue - your opinions on the better recordings.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mambo, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambo

mambo New Member Thread Starter

I have or had Kind of Blue on CD, Japan Mini Lp, SACD, original vynil (now sold) and a 45rpm version that on 3 or 4 Lp's that I assume may be a Classic records (if anybody knows any better, let me know!)

Why do I have so many? Well, I was hoping to find a copy where the hiss would be less apparent. it is a shame that probably one of the greatest Jazz recordings of all time seems to suffer from such bad tape hiss. I wonder what happened to this recording when there are other very acceptable jazz recordings for this period.

Any ideas, suggestions!

Regards

raymon

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Since the hiss seems to be on the master tape, you want to hear it. That's an indicator of proper mastering. It is what it is. I haven't heard Kind of Blue on vinyl, but the SACD is great, followed by the current remastered CD. Just my opinion, of course.

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yep, outside of (possibly) a mint early Lp pressing, the best sound is on the latest remaster, either redbook or SACD.

Seriously, does the tape hiss bother you that much???

4. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

I haven't heard the SACD, but the Classic 45 RPM I have is fantastic: I can't imagine a better sounding Kind of Blue.

This probably isn't the place to ask where you can find the copy with the least hiss :) , but if you insist, the first Sony CD has no (or very little) hiss. It sounds muffled and dead to me, but if it's no hiss you want, that's the version to get. It's the one with the words "remastered from the original master tape" on it. A better case of false advertising you're not likely to find.

5. mambo

I have that one and agree with you. I was hoping for perfect sound quality - no hiss!! I was just sort of hoping that by some miracle I had purchase copies that were sourced from a poor source with tape hiss and that perhaps there was a master tape out there hidden in some vault with no hiss!

Yes hiss as well as pops and clicks on lp's bother me!

regards

raymon

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Which disc are you referring to as the first copy? It sounds like you are referring to the CBS Jazz Masterpieces version, which has the odd album cover. This was the second version released on CD in the U.S. The actual first version released in the U.S. has the standard album cover, and the catalog number is CK 08163. The disc was pressed in Japan. This version has plenty of hiss, and it sounds quite good. I prefer the current remaster, and the SACD is better yet, but this original Japanese pressing is good. It's also very rare. Here's a scan of the disc:

Attached Files:

7. mambo

I have a sealed copy of the Jazz Mini Lp if anybody is interested.

regards

raymon

8. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

KOB has always had hiss - and a lot of hiss, at that. There is no way to eliminate that hiss without seriously damaging the sonics. The only version of KOB without all that hiss is the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces edition - and that edition sounds muffled, dull and lifeless. Secondly, it's digitally remixed, and the remixing job is horrible all around, with instruments sounding very incoherent and completely off.

9. joelbertrand

joelbertrand Forum Resident

The hiss is your friend if a mastering has been made the right way. In these days of over-used digital no-noise tricks and maximizing, hiss is a sign of authenticity.

The current remaster as well as the SACD that are digital remixes of the 3-track still have lot of hiss but are the best sounding IMO. For the best edition of the original 1959 mix, get the latest japanese DSD.

10. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I have a CD-r of a quad version. Is it a boot?

11. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

IIRC the sacd has more hiss than the original 6-eye LP.

John.

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I believe his question was though....WHY is there so much hiss on the master recording?

I think part of the reason might be that sections of Kind Of Blue are very quiet, like the introductions to So What or Blue In Green, so the hiss stands out more.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I love the SACD also, but I want to suggest something. As a long time Miles fan, I feel this album is over-rated as excellent as it is. I also strongly recommend you check out other Miles Davis albums. I love Steamin, Cookin, Relaxin and many others.

14. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

The last time I listened to this album on SACD I don't remember even noticing the hiss. I'll have to give it a spin when I get home. Anyway something this old is gonna have some hiss. Charactor builder I say unless it distracts. Maybe there's some NR' version somewhere(I hope not)?

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I auditioned this original Japanese CD pressing on a very high-end system, and it was very close to the sound of the LP played back on the same system. I hadn't realized how different my Sony Mastersound gold disc was from the original vinyl incarnation.

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

How do the Classic Reissues of this title sound? (33rpm).

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

am I wrong for sticking with the version on the Miles & Coltrane box set?

post-vinyl, I had the CBS/Sony 35DP (black/silver label) edition, the gold Mastersound edition and the box set edition, and stuck with that one.

(for the record (no pun intended); hiss never bothered me. not here. not anywhere.)

was I foolish?

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have the 2LP 180G Classic, which was the first incarnation of Kind of blue Classic put out. Side 4 is cut at 45rpm - the alternate of "Flaminco Sketches". I think it sounds great.

19. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

How does this differ from the 200gm incarnation (besides the lack of the 45rpm extra)?

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't say first hand - I've never heard it. I seem to remember reading something back when Classic "reissued" it on that on the new Quiex vinyl (can't remember if that was 180 or 200) after my issue had gone out of print, that the sound on the then new version was a little bright. I don't know how true that is, or whether or not it's another mastering, or if my memory is playing tricks on me. Sorry...

21. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I have both of these Classic versions and, having just acquired the 180 gm., I can't give a fair comparison . That being said, I can say that I really do like the 200 gm. pressing and don't find it at all bright. If anything, the highs are a bit more subdued than on the original 6-eye stereo pressing. As for the 2 LP 180 gm. set (which is out of print), I bought it mainly for the 45 RPM alternate version of Flamenco Sketches, which sounds FANTASTIC. If Classic re-issues the 45 RPM set, I'll definitely buy it.

22. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

That Classic 200g pressing of KOB is my singular Classic Records disappointment thus far.

And the stereo LP pressings (yes, even original 6-eye pressings) of Columbia jazz albums all suffer from a serious treble boost and (sometimes) added reverb compared to even the original 6-eye mono pressings.

23. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Do you have the mono and if so what are your impressions? Eventually, I'm sure I'll have to get a copy.

24. triple

triple Senior Member

I feel that this alternate take sounds slightly better than the rest of the material on the current remastered CD, too. Which could be explained by the fact that the tape was never used before they did that CD, or maybe I am wrong?

Goran

25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Mambo, send you KOB to Abbey Road (with "for Pete Mew's ears only" remark) and be sure to get it back without all the annoying hiss! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.