Miles Davis 71 Disc Box set (70 CDs, 1 DVD)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks for that list. Are the Blu-spec CDs something that only play in a Blu Ray player? I wonder how they sound.

Blu-spec Audio CDs
    1. Sketches of Spain Legacy Edition (SICP 2255/6) (release August 5, 2009)
    2. The Essential Miles Davis SICP-20162/3 (release July 22, 2009)

Blu-spec Audio CDs
    Release date: March 25, 2009
    1. SICP 20075 1958 Miles
    2. SICP 20076 Porgy and Bess
    3. SICP 20077 Someday My Prince Will Come
    4. SICP 20078 Seven Steps to Heaven
    5. SICP 20079 Miles Davis in Europe
    6. SICP 20080 Miles in Berlin
    7. SICP 20081 Sorcerer
    8. SICP 20082 Nefertiti
    9. SICP 20083 The Man With The Horn
    10. SICP 20084 We Want Miles

Blu-spec Audio CDs
    Release date: February 18, 2009
    1. SICP 20052 Miles Ahead
    2. SICP 20053 Milestones
    3. SICP 20054 Sketches of Spain
    4. SICP 20055 Four and More
    5. SICP 20056 Miles in Tokyo
    6. SICP 20057 E.S.P.
    7. SICP 20058 Miles Smiles
    8. SICP 20059 In a Silent Way
    9. SICP 20060 A Tribute to Jack Johnson
    10. SICP 20061/2 Miles Davis at Fillmore
    11. SICP 20063/4 Live-Evil
    12. SICP 20065/6 Get Up With It
    13. SICP 20067/8 Agharta
    14. SICP 20069/70 Pangaea
    15. SICP 20071 You're Under Arrest

Blu-spec Audio CDs
    Release date: December 24, 2008
    1. SICP 20001 Kind of Blue
    2. SICP 20002/3 Bitches Brew
    3. SICP 20004 'Round About Midnight
    4. SICP 20005 On the Corner
    5. SICP 20006 My Funny Valentine

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Blu-spec is only Sony Japan's current brand for higher(?) quality redbook re-issues.

If you do a search here, you'll find their merits debated as usual, with the determining factor being the mastering for each title.

I got Agharta after researching to make sure it had the same '07(?) DSD mastering as the Pangaea import I already had, really hard to find. The tonality matched fine, sounds good, but I make no other comparison, having cut the vinyl loose some years ago.

3. Bass

Bass Forum Resident

Thanks.:righton:

4. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

Here we go... the official announcement. They are the last issued versions, so I guess that means Agharta and Pangaea are still the *****ty early 90's editions :(

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for posting. Amazon currently has pre-order price of $328.49, or $4.63/disc. Pretty remarkable price, all things considered. I may get it, if only as the easiest way to fill the holes in my Miles catalog.

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Not a bad price. I'd love to have that Isle of Wight concert on CD, but personally I'm going to pass. Thank you for posting.

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This '88 live 3 disc set has the 35 minutes of "Call It Anything" from the Isle of Wight tacked on at the end.

Cheaper than the 70 cd box set, and it seems to be semi-legit. I've seen it in Best Buy a few times.

8. markd

markd Forum Resident

9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Hahah 45 RPM 12" vinyl... :D
    You'll need a shipping container to ship it!

10. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

thanks for the link :thumbsup:

11. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

I have a German 40-Disc Ellington boxed set that combines labels for virtually every studio take from '24-'45 that cost me well under $100.

The liners were horribly inaccurate, so I picked up Duke Ellington: A Listener's Guide by Eddie Lambert and Ellingtonia: The Recorded Music of Duke Ellington and His Sidemen by W.E. Timmer. The two books cost WAY more than the 40CDs, but are invaluable!

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's a normal price for box sets sold by european public domain labels, who don't have to pay licensing fees for recordings that are older than 50 years.

The recordings are usually taken from the existing official CD releases, so there should be no bad surprises concerning the sound quality.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

If the CDs didn't have all that bonus material (usually alternate takes of music that's already on the CD), I'd probably buy this. I like the way the Stones, Bob Dylan, and now the Beatles didn't do anything but give us the albums as they originally were.

14. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

All things considered... No, thanks.

I have no interest in anything Miles did after The Blackhawk concerts up to In A Silent Way, so all those albums, and the live DVD are a waste to me.

I have picked and chosen my way through the 70's material and the live discs I don't already have hold no interest. I bought the Isle Of Wight concert on DVD when it came out and took a 2000kb/s rip of the audio from that...

Several discs are the original early 90's Blue or Red bordered Columbia editions (1958 Miles, Agharta, Pangaea etc)...

The newly expanded editions are a waste of time (The Plugged Nickel and We Want Miles albums were edited to Miles spec, so why restore full takes and add choices previously rejected if you're not just going to provide the full concerts?)

Most of the discs in here that I want are in the Original Album Classics 5-disc box already, for about $17.

It's a nice box, and I only have about 2/3rds of the material but I'd rather grab the discs I want from the 50's (many pre-Columbia) in nice Japanese editions, and fill the other gaps in my collection than put out $350 for a bunch of material I won't listen to too often.

If they'd been remastered from, say, the Japanese DSD's I might have gone for it.

I'm sure there's someone out there who'll buy it though, Columbia.

15. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Amazon.ca has it for $259.99 CDN. That's $3.66 per disc. Not bad for someone who wants it all.

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Yes... :shake: To quote the site:

45. Agharta - 1975 1976 C2K 46799
    46. Pangaea - 1975 1975 C2K 46115

17. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

18. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Thanks markd for posting that link. I went searching for it on amazon.ca but couldn't find it. I just went ahead and ordered it, I also hope they honor that price. Here's what they say on their website so I would think this cheap price would stand up:

Amazon.ca's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.ca between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date. A pre-order price guarantee message will appear on your Order Summary during the checkout process. If you use 1-Click ordering, pre-order price protection will be automatically applied. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

19. markd

markd Forum Resident

Sounds like it may work! I'm really looking forward to it. If you search 'miles davis' in music, then sort by release date it still comes up. Actually, I just checked and it's now $9 cheaper, at $250.99. I like where this is heading ...:righton:

20. Get the Japanese mini-lp reissues of these. They aren't perfect, but I like them much better than the early 90's versions.

21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

OK, we're volunteering you to post EAC levels for all discs!!! :D

22. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Yep, I just checked my order status and it's now listed at $250.99. Again glad you pointed me to that link in the first place. I wasn't planning on ordering ti but couldn't pass up such a cheap price. :edthumbs:

23. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

Alright, I'll have all the EAC levels posted for you within 10 minutes of me receiving the package. ;)

24. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Dear god.

I like Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue, and I have been meaning to check out Miles' other albums...

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Just make sure you triple check the values before posting, ok!?! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.