Miles Davis 71 Disc Box set (70 CDs, 1 DVD)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by therockman, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Yes, but mrt2 was not talking about 'now'. He said 'for too long labels were charging' - i.e., for the first decade or so of the CD era. I thought it was generally accepted as fact that prices got jacked up with the advent of the CD?

Also remember that the same demographic that would hypothetically be buying new jazz records also has expenses that didn't exist in the 80s - cell phone bills, high-speed internet.

Whereas the most reliable consumers of jazz (i.e., older folks) primarily buy reissues or things like Sonny Please and seem not to be that interested in younger performers. The trouble with even a fairly successful artist like Robert Glasper, for example, is that he's at a demographic crossroads.

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I was talking about this with my friend at Sony last night...he does not know specifics about the Miles box, but he did say the new thing is going to be super-deluxe, expensive sets aimed at the hard-core collectors so this could be possible.
    He mentioned an upcoming DVD set from another band that will be housed in a functional electric guitar amp > that's right > you can PLUG IN to it...

ha ha....
    Miles on BLU-RAY may get me to re-up on some of his catalog, otherwise I already have a wealth of Miles.

3. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

all I really want are the titles mentioned during the reissue boom 10 years ago, like the Juan-les-Pins concert from 1969, or some of the 60s quintet live shows, or the Japan 1975 shows. The Complete On the Corner Sessions was a missed opportunity, too.

4. Henryflowr

Henryflowr Honorary Toastmaster Emeritus Runner-Up

hahahahahahahahaha . . .

Since Doo Bop is not included, I suppose I won't be buying . . .

:)

5. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

It may seem crazy because I have every Miles release of the years up to 1975. But..if this is all done up in BluRay, I'm buying. If they manage to pull out say 10 cd's of unreleased stuff, I might just have to buy it also. Think of the prices that the Plugged Nickel set has risen to at different times over the years. There is a market, it's a small but obsessive one.

It's just amazes me that the handling of Miles' catalog is really the gold standard for every important artist. Now they may be upping the anty up even more.

I wish I could buy metal spine sets of Jimi Hendrix's complete studio recordings. There are plenty of recordings to make this the best reissues ever done. I think even Miles would agree that he is one of the few musicians worth hearing every note. Maybe it's just me.

6. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I've read many posts from people who have collected seemingly every available version of various Miles Davis recordings. If there is previously unreleased material or the set is remastered I'm sure there will be an audience. I'm just not going to buy a pig in a poke.

7. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I hear 'ya and agree completely. The question is does the record company understand this? We'll have to see I guess.

8. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

As I said here, a miles-davis.com news item contained mention of 'the Complete Miles Davis and the high-end trumpet case.'

If the magic number is 77, then each disc may just be each album Miles put out on Columbia, remastered yet again:

There are 56 MD albums from Sony Columbia (quickly grabbed from Losin):
    and of those, 14 are 2 disc editions while the Blackhawk albums make up 4 discs, which adds 17 discs to the total, making 73 discs. If they throw in any extra material (since there are Legacy 2CD versions of KoB, RAM, SoS all available), never mind the box sets themselves, it would be easy to reach a total of 77 discs.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Yes, sadly, you just might be right. Let us hope for Blu Ray at least.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Someone mentioned
    alleged recordings
    made by Miles
    75-81 , is there
    evidence that
    these exist ?

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That sums it up for me too.

I'm not paying hundreds of $ just to get the same stuff in repackaged form.

For any prolific artist, reissuing box sets of more than 20 discs is commercial nonsense. Of course there are complete box sets of all Mozart, Beethoven or Brahms works, but those are usually sold at budget price (<$5 per disc).

12. ATR

ATR Senior Member

According to Wikipedia:

Davis characterized this period in his memoirs as a colorful time when wealthy women lavished him with sex and drugs. In reality, he had become completely dependent upon various drugs, spending nearly all of his time propped up on a couch in his apartment watching television, leaving only to score more drugs. In 1976, Rolling Stone reported rumors of his imminent demise. Although he stopped practicing trumpet on a regular basis, Davis continued to compose intermittently and made three attempts at recording during his exile from performing; these sessions (one with the assistance of Paul Buckmaster and Gil Evans, who left after not receiving promised compensation) bore little fruit and remain unreleased.

Can't say that I believe it myself, but there it is.

13. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

:shake:

I think the powers that be are just cynical enough to release something like that as part of a comprehensive Miles box set.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Where do you think the 5 minutes of no-noise will be in this 77 CD set? :laugh:

15. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

See Plosin's Sessionography for details. There is enough material unreleased between 1969 (Bitches Brew) and the 1980's comeback to fill probably a 12-disc set. Often with the recent box sets the choice was made to leave off tracks without Miles (even though he was present), and inconsistently they would decide to keep off multiple takes of material (like the 45+ mins of complete alternate takes from Bitches Brew), but other times, give you every version available (like the 75,000 takes of Willie Nelson on the Jack Johnson box).

According to Bob Belden he intended to release 4 discs of On The Corner Sessions (up to the point where the sitar players were jettisoned) and a further 6 disc set covering the 'funk collective' which worked well into 1976, despite claims of retirement in 1975. Said band even had a new iteration following the February concerts (Agharta/Pangaea), with Sam Morisson on sax. They played live till July '76 and visited the studios many times.

The irony for me, is that there was loads of room for this material in the OTC box had the bean-counters not insisted on including 3 discs of previously available material. 'Turn Of The Century' from 1975 with Miles sitting out is a stunning groove track! What a waste....

16. I've added a bunch of Miles Davis release suggestions to Sony / Legacy's Uservoice page:

Complete Live in Japan 1975:
    http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.c...76713-miles-davis-complete-live-in-japan-1975

Complete 'At Filmore' 1970:
    http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.c...s/76711-miles-davis-complete-at-fillmore-1970

Complete Columbia 1980s Sessions:
    http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.c...-miles-davis-complete-columbia-1980s-sessions

The plan is to get Legacy to release more unreleased material, rather than just reissuing the same releases in different packaging.

17. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

"Someone" has a name. I know because it's on my driver's license: Brian Vargo.

:)

18. I shudder to think of the physical size of this set. Is there a wheelbarrow included?

19. TRM05

TRM05 New Member

Agreed. Releasing a thousand dollar box set in the midst of a global economic crisis might not be a great idea either.

20. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

If this is true, then this is mine . . .

21. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Packaged in a trumpet case. :winkgrin::rolleyes:

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

You are right. This makes about as much sense as somebody releasing a boxset of 40 year old rock & roll in mono. :help:

23. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

anymore news on this?

24. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

Interesting that Sony can sell a very nicely packaged (in mini sleeves & a sturdy box with 240+ page booklet) 80 CD set of Glenn Gould's complete Columbia catalog for $90.00 (sale price on Amazon.com a while back, now OOP), but are charging 10 times that for a 77 CD Miles Davis set. Both are just reprints of existing discs, no?

http://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Gould-C...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1249600295&sr=1-3

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Anticipated demand, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.