Michael Nesmith Largo set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I saw that show too , very cool !

The Cat Power set was icing

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

How interesting to note that when I posted the first video of Nesmith leaving the Largo gig that there was anger aimed at him for 'blowing off' the St. Louis guy's autograph request. Then as more details emerged from those who actually attended the concert, it was revealed that Nez did sign autographs inside the venue and chatted with the fans, including the St. Louis guy, who it turns out was an obsessive pain. This reminds me of when the news came out about the cancellation of the Monkees tour and all the negative responses on it till more details emerged that the shows were booked without the band's prior approval, causing business conflicts. There is an unfortunate tendency in these days of instant information of imediately believing the worst about a situation before the true details emerge. The second Nesmith video clearly showed what Nez actually said about seeing his family after the gig.

In future, it'd be best to wait for details to emerge from any similar events before stooping to idle speculation.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nothing that's come to light about the Monkees' tour cancellation has changed my opinion that they screwed up. It is of course their prerogatigve to do so.

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

They are The Monkees. That's what they do!

Actually though, let me revise that. As Micky Dolenz once said so eloquently, "The Monkees only exist when we say they do!" What a great quote. So the Monkees most recently existed roughly from May through July of this year.

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Since Nesmith performances are so rare and far between, and it's unlikely that he night embark on another extensive tour like he did in 1991/92, perhaps another virtual concert like he did recently on his Video Ranch website might be the way to go again, only this time Nez should make the price of seeing the concert a little more reasonable, unlike the last time when it was just too expensive. I know the costs of wave length and server space is a major factor in this case, but say an admission of between $30 and $50 per person or computer may off-set the costs. I'm not sure he really has the stamina to do a full or even partial tour, but another virtual concert at a decent price should satisfy both his urge to perform and appease the fans who want to see him in concert.

6. skallywag

skallywag Member

Sounds like there just maybe a podcast of the show!!

From the Watkins Family facebook page:

Watkins Family Hour
    Thanks so much to all you folks that came to our show on the 19th. Was a fun one for us. Also, the first installment of the Watkins Family Hour Podcast will be up soon. Stay tuned.
    :righton::righton::goodie::goodie:

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Oooh, it'd be nice if the podcast includes some portions of the concert. :)

8. skallywag

skallywag Member

I would think the Podcast, would be the concert.. But I am only making an assumption.. I sent them a note to see.. Will let everyone know if I find out anything..

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Is there a "virtual stage door" where SIM characters can hang out and harass Nesmith to sign a stack of virtual albums?

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

The concerts in VR are always free to view on your PC when they are occuring. Last time he offered a behind the scenes, backstage pass type of deal for a cost but you had to fly to his studio.

11. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

While I can relate to the fans wanting a Nez autograph, the Largo video is absolutely a sad state of affairs. Which reminds me of a very similar and ammusing story. In 1999, Nez did a book signing for his novel Neftoon Zamora in NYC. The crowd was large and enthusiastic, armed with various memorabilia for him to sign as well as the book. I myself only had one extra item, an 8 X 10 glossy of the foursome from the 1989 Hollywood Star Weekend. It had taken me 10 years to get the other 3 guys to sign so I was really looking forward to the last autograph. Although he was signing his solo albums at will, Nez would not sign Monkees stuff which I thought was a little ridiculous. Still, I was happy to meet him even though one of the girls working for him literally ripped the Monkees photo out of my hands when I tried to show it to him. After the signing myself and my buddy went to the service entrance with only a couple other fans hoping for the infamous signature. There was a very strange (and large) fellow there who now reminds me very much of Mr. St. Louis. He was holding 2 large shopping bags and cursing up a storm. My friend and I rascals that we are, had to ask him what was in the bags. In one he had about a dozen copies of Nez's book, when I asked him why so many, he said "You never know who might need one". Strange reply considering it was an esoteric novel by a cult star, not an autographed bikini shot of Cindy Crawford. Amazingly, Nez had signed all of them and my new friend was complaining (and cursing) that the signatures were shaky and Mr. Nesmith had rushed him out intentionally. In the 2nd bag was a stack of glossy photos, probably every one ever taken of Mike since 1966, lol. Nez had signed a few of those as well, probably intimidated by the size of this guy. We were talking about the autographs, then the guy started going postal, saying he has to be careful about being arrested because he is a violent guy and I quote, "a nut on the road". This term has now become a famous phrase among my friends for acting crazy. Anyway, Nez comes out with his handlers and is shuttled into his limo completely ignoring the small crowd. Now, we were not surprised, but Mr. Nut On The Road went racing down 5th Avenue after his limo screaming curse words. Needless to say, we said "check please" and left. The point of the story is it must be scary to be a Monkee, I give Davy Jones credit for handling the duty so effortlessly. I guess he figures if he meets everyone it's less likely he will get tackled by guys like that. Haha.:cheers:

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Hardcore Monkees fans are a weird bunch... I used to know some of those people in the mid '90s and had to get out of that scene entirely.

14. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It was a great day of music!

15. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's my fault. I started the "bag on Mike" train. In my defense, it led to some fairly stimulating discussion. To add, this site would be a humdrum drag if we all waited for validation on each and every shard of info and rumor.

Just ask the Beatle-holics :hide:

16. skallywag

skallywag Member

After seeing him the other night, I think he COULD do a few select dates.. I can only hope he does... It was so nice to see and hear him actually play, and my wish is for others to get the opportunity as I did..

17. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

It's true, although I myself am a very hardcore fan, it was a lonely road until I joined this forum. Most fans I met were living in their parents garages playing rare Monkees videos on sunny afternoons, haha. That's not my scene at all, while I always think about and enjoy the group it's more of a hobby than an obsession.

18. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

Audio from the show here.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just discovered it, great that someone managed to sneak a recording. :shh:

20. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Nez sounds great, his voice is exactly the same. Also the country-western style of his solo material meshes well with his elder-statesman appearance. I can't see him prancing behind the other 3 guys singing Daydream Believer anymore.

21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

And that's all well and good when he's knocking on the door of 70, but what about in 1997?

Boring.

1967?

Still Boring.

Mike isn't an entertainer like that, but he also never tried that hard either.

22. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

It just isn't his style. He was hilarious on the tv show and he certainly gave 100% on lead guitar and vocals during the '60's tours, but it just doesn't seem to be in his nature to entertain in the Broadway/Vaudeville style like D/M/P. He also seems like a recluse as opposed to a ham, which I can attest to from meeting him once. He almost seems frightened by the adulation, not indifferent, actually scared.:help:

23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

There's a picture in one of those 80's Monkees books which show Mike being hugged by a young female fan onstage in Australia in the late 70's/early 80's and even then he's like "Get off of me!".

24. skallywag

skallywag Member

I think he is really a very shy and timid type person.. He doesn't like the "fanfare" and is more comfortable with a smaller audience than those bigger stage productions.. I felt he was a bit shy even last week when he came on the stage.. He isn't one to carryone with the audience.. He just likes to get up and sing. I did feel he sincerly appreciated us in being there and giving him the warm welcome that we did.. If you want to see a "show" with him playin' his tunes, then you will get that, if you want to see him jumping around the stage and dancing, youre not..
    I have always just wanted to hear him sing live, and after 45 yrs. I am so glad I finally got to... :)

25. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

Not to sound cliched but he is a true singer-songwriter. He just wants to get up there with his acoustic or 12-string and sing his folk-country based songs. With a couple of exceptions (the 1st Circle Sky, possibly Cruisin') his forays into rock-posturing have been ill-advised (Admiral Mike anyone?). His guitar sizzled on JUSTUS but the the songs sucked by Monkees standards (which to my ears are high), the only reason he was so jazzed during that period was because he was controlling the situation. He only seems to participate in projects that are HIS vision, right or wrong. That's why I hate the continuous complaining from casual fans about his absence from the Monkees recent tour. He would have had no place in a show like that. Now if they ever do something like "Storytellers", that's a different, well, story. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.