Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Initial thought:

1. It's like Load meets the older, maybe AJFA-era Metallica sound. I've actually always wanted to hear that sort of combination.

2. This may be the best Metallica song post-AJFA.

3. The sound quality of the stream from Metallica.com is crap. I'll hold-off judgement on the production. I do like the guitar tone, though.

4. It's better the second time through.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Cool song. Upon first listen I wasn't totally blown away by the opening few minutes. The last 1/3rd of the song is where it really shines. The last few minutes would have totally been at home on Master Of Puppets :agree:

I agree with evanft from above, it sounds like Load-era combined with older material. James' voice really took a leap around 1996, it's good to hear that combined with the vintage style riffs and compositions.

And the version on MySpace does indeed sound better, less distortion on the right channel:

http://www.myspace.com/metallica

3. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Decent song. It sounded a lot like an alternate version of Fade To Black during the first 3:00 or so.

4. Frumious B

Frumious B Active Member

Shrug...They should have just called this new song "Fade To Dark Brown". Seriously, it's almost comical listening to Hetfield trying to avoid any sequence of notes that resembles "Life it seems to fade away..." in the vocal melody in the verses of this thing.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

&*^%@*&%^ Autotune!:realmad:

I don't mind the tune, but James sounds like Promo The Robot during the slow parts!
    [​IMG]

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The drum sound is, as Lars would say...."stock".

Song is ok though.

7. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I'm really liking the new tune!

8. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I think the new track is kinda Ho hum... Go to their myspace and listen to the first 30 sec of the new one and then scroll down and click on the song called Master of Puppets that they have in their list and compare. Now that's some Metal! The interesting part of their music is just plain gone from the new stuff. Too bad.

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, I've downloaded some tunes, but never bought one of their albums. I find the dexterity of some of the thrash stuff interesting to listen to at times. As for the new tune, I thought the music sounded pretty good. Wasn't crazy about some of the lyrics. James sings something like "Love is a like a 4 letter word". C'mon. After 5 years he could do better than that. I like the soloing at the end.

10. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Still, is that not a giant step up from:

"My lifestyle... determines my deathstyle!"

"Flush it out! Flush it out!"

"Kill, kill, kill, kill kill!"

:)

11. Stateless

Stateless New Member

:laugh:

"My lifestyle... determines my deathstyle!" I kind of like that line. It's just "Love is a 4 letter word" is such a cliche. I'm surprised Rubin didn't challenge him on that line.

12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I liked it! Out of all their dumb ballads, this was almost as good as "Fade To Black". Certainly better than "Welcome Home" (which was just a "Fade To Black" ripoff) and "One" (which was a "Welcome Home" ripoff).

Thank God it wasn't another "Nothing Else Matters"!!!!

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Oh come on now... it wasn't THAT bad!!!

14. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I like the new single. It reminds me of Metallica's ...And Justice For All and Queen's A Night at the Opera. I still have to listen to a high quality version of the track.

:agree:

15. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Members of the Official Metallica Message Board are fuming about the sound quality of the new single on iTunes (256 kbps). Many of them are demanding an answer from the band.

:D

Most are complaining about clipping and distortion.

:shake:

Has anyone purchased the single on iTunes?

16. I'm holding out until the day of release!

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

:laugh: at thinking that the CNN-metal wankfest known as Master of Puppets was interesting. Easily the worst of the first four. Easily.

18. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Hey, stop spreading Vic-terms on this board. :p

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Well it's true.

20. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

i thought there were certain passages that sounded like 'Enter Sandman'. was that the name of the song? anyway, i'll probably get the superduper vinyl as i like the new song.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

After I heard the new song... I have my own title for the upcoming record: Master of Disaster.

22. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

OK, I was going in expecting to hate the new song, and for the first four minutes I sorta did. But the last half of the song definitely sounds like a return to form for me. Overall, I think I like it!

23. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. What is CNN-metal wankfest? The worst of the first four? Are you saying the performance for MOP was poor? If so, I concur. If you're saying MOP the song is the worst, then I don't concur. Metallica songs all basically sound the same since the early mid 90's. Boring... :agree::laugh:

24. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Can't get into it...

25. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

.....wot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.