Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I was hoping it would have been 3 seconds of silence. That would have been funny.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

That is nothing. Hearing Ozzy sing at the same show was like listening to a robot.

Doesnt' sound like Load to me. The music sounds "old". The vocal "style" does sound like Load/Re-Load however. But you can't expect him to go back singing like Master Of Puppets, his voice is totally different.

3. This is what I am most looking foward to on the new album...
    :righton:

4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

5. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I have no idea what autotune is but if that is what it sounds like me no likey. Song has potential though. They wouldn't use that crummy autotune for the studio would they?

6. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Yay bring on the Kirk!

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Autotune is a computer plug in that corrects any bad pitch. Remember Cher's Believe? That's Autotune on stun.

I don't think James has ever used it in the studio before. Hope he doesn't on DM.

8. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

OK, I caved and listened :angel:

It's not bad. I wouldn't say I'm stoked...it does sound a little like what they were doing with Load (cyanide that is) but to me that's not a terrible thing since I don't think Load was the load everyone else thought it was. Matter of fact Load has one of my favorite Metallica songs...Bleeding Me...8 and a half minutes of musical awesomeness!

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Actually, I seem to recall Bob Rock saying that they had tuned James' vocals on the Load albums, because he was making a point that they did not use it on St. Anger. Where the vocals aren't good, IMO. Of course, they could also just do take after take after comp after comp to fix the vocals in a less electronic way.

10. magick28

magick28 New Member

I wonder if they have any unreleased songs from the kill em all to and justice periord,that would make for a much better cd then any new ones.

11. Is this a question or a statement?

12. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Live Metallica sounds rather different to studio Metallica (that's always been the case). That said, this song is rather uninspiring (which is a shame, because the riff that everyone hums should be front and centre, rather than simply one amongst many).

13. SamS

There is no unreleased material pre-St. Anger. The band has confirmed this, and no rabid Metallica fan has been able to dig up anything in 15 years.

There was, however, quite a bit of unreleased St. Anger-era material. None of which appeared to make it onto Death Magnetic. Those songs include:

Dead Kennedy Roll
    Shadows Of The Cross
    Temptation
    More Than This (Whipping Boy)

None of the above are really that good, which is why they never made the cut. They are known as "The Presidio Demos".

There's also:
    Vulturous
    Death Is Not The End
    ..from the DM sessions. DINTE will probably make it onto Death Magnetic in some fashion, not sure about what is dubbed "Vulturous".

14. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Better? Sounds like it's going thru an MXR flanger.

16. SamS

Yeah, that's not a good sounding version at all. A little digging on youtube and you can find a soundboard version.

17. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

sorry, don't have time to look up what the hell you're talking about.

18. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

19. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

20. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Musically the new track sounds pretty good. Nothing like a St. Anger track, more like older Metallica. I can't tell if it's the low sound quality of the streaming track but the vocal sounds weird like it has that autotune crap previously mentioned on it. Could also be brickwalling I suppose.

21. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

The sound quality is horrible, but I'm guessing that's the stream. I thought the last 2-3 minutes were pretty good. The first part of the song sounds like "The Unforgiven."

22. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Actually, the version on their myspace page is of significantly higher sound quality.

23. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Yep my second listen was on myspace still sounds crappy to me.

24. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

I'm listening to it right now. Yeah, the vocals sounds a little too good. This has some similar feel to "Fade to Black". It's an alright song.

25. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Not really digging this one either. I'm hearing that tinny drum sound like Justice had which i hated. I think Metallica is a few years too late with this and they sound more like one of the zillions of European metal bands trying to copy successful American bands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.