Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

This thread is for discussing the new album Death Magnetic.

If you wish to lament the band on general terms, or specific albums, please start another thread.

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Any clues to the production?
    I wonder if Rubin got a realy fat & raw guitar sound
    that is the thing that bothered me way back
    the day the black album came out .something in the way
    it was recorded and mixed seemed too polished.After hearing
    Death Magnetic a few times it will be interesting to read all the interviews on how it was recorded as far as what was live together in the studio,layered,and overdubbed.how the songs changed from early stages to the finished cd
    .I like lars`s drumming when he`s simply thrashing away and playing fast.

3. I'm just glad they're using the old logo on the new album!!! I'll be taking the day off when DM comes out!!!

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I just listened to a few tracks from the new album. Their BEST work since "Justice" and the "Black Album."

:agree:

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have a feeling it'll be ok, but no big deal. I could be wrong though.

6. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand some comments stating that as long as it's heavy, it's all good. I'd much rather it was full of well-written songs. St. Anger was heavy, but a complete disaster in terms of songwriting. I'm looking forward to Death Magnetic, though I doubt it'll be that great.

7. SamS

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that DM will mark a full-blown "return" of Kirk Hammett's soloing. Although not a single solo made it on to St. Anger, it sounds like Kirk will make up for it this time.

I hear plenty of Kirk "runs" throughout the songs, just like the older material.

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I think I'm going to avoid listening to anything from the new album until it offically comes out (of course it will be impossible to avoid any FM radio play for too long befor the release). Then I'll listen to it from start to finish about 3 times straight and judge for myself where the band sounds like they're headed.

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Rubin is mostly a song/structure guy. Any guitar sound would be up to the engineer/band.

10. steveharris

still Rubin had to have input overall as far what he likes and doesn`t as far as guitar sounds.maybe St. anger would have had a better guitar and drum sound and would have been more compact if Rick Rubin had any input.As far as saying it`s good the music is heavy that is what I meant I don`t want to hear a bunch of ballads,yes I do want good songs also,no I do not have any expectations if it will be a classic I`m just going to hear it and be surprised

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Call me crazy, but I like the drum and guitar sound of St Anger. I prefer something a little different to cookie cutter heavy metal sounds.

12. steveharris

No,I can understand while not to everyone`s taste and high expectations St. Anger`s differnt approach offered a unique contrast in sound that is subjectivly appealing to many people just not the majority

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Yeah, copying crappy nu-metal bands isn't very appealing.

14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I used to go to a hard rock/metal bar when St. Anger came out, when they played the single, people would tap their plastic drinking cups against the aluminium chairs.. It sounded exactly like Lars' snare :D

15. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Well, the clips and comments seem encouraging, but The Unforgiven III? If that's not evidence of the "new Metallica" mindset, I don't know what is! Also, since this is a metal album from 2008, produced by loudness-lover Rick Rubin, expect absolutely no dynamic range on this one.

16. steveharris

I think Rubin`s best was Regin in blood back 22 years ago or whenever it was maybe that can`t be topped but if that`s the direction thay are leanin(the puppets mindset) it`s at least in the right direction I`m waiting to hear the cd straight through but I`ve read postive remarks so far,I`m going to listen with an open mind and give it a chance...Before completely condemming it if I don`t like it right away!!!!

17. SamS

The band has stated in interviews that they want to focus on improving the sound of this record. Whether or not that comes through as a well-mastered end product remains to be seen.

18. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I read an interview with Lars, what, 2 years ago? When they started this record and brought Rubin on board. Lars' said something to the effect of:
    we want to get back to good sound, after the St. Anger record, and Rubin will bring that - System of a Down, for example.

Now, if he uses System as an example, then he doesn't a @#$!ing thing and is as guilty of succumbing to "LOUDER IS BETTER!!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!" than everybody else. Lars probably has terrible hearing anyway, so I'm sure System's records sound good to him. I'm sure Christ Illusion and Californication sound good to him.
    Kerry King has said that Rubin gets a particular drum sound. If it's ruined by hyper-compression, what's the point, really? It all sounds like hitting cardboard boxes and not real drums.

19. magick28

magick28 New Member

I just cant get excited about this cd,after the last 4 crappy ones they put out.Not saying I dont hope they get back to putting out good cds again but its hard to get excited about it.

20. steveharris

personally I can`t think of any band that put out a good record after making a decade`s worth of music I did not like.Like others I hope that changes and anything is possible

21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

LOL! Good one!

If you were serious, let me be the first one out of millions to call you "crazy".

22. SamS

You can preorder now:

23. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I heard the whole song "Cyanide" on Sirius on Saturday night. It was a live version recorded at OzzFest.

The song was okay---it did remind me of something off the "Load" album.

24. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

Here is the full live version of Cyanide from Ozzfest. This is audio only. There is a clip circulating of video of the performance but the audio quality was crap, this one is better. Does it make the song better? IMO, no. They've moved away from the St. Anger sound but went back to the Load sound which doesn't do it for me. Hate to say it but Metallica is starting to sound dated. I want to hear the rest of the cd but i don't have high hopes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBy8--Y1Nc&feature=related

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oy....TONS of autotune on James' voice! Yuck!:sigh: Listen to how hiccupy it is. That's nasty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.