Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. withnail

withnail Forum Resident

My wife went to Best Buy to secure my copy. They of course told her that they didn't carry records. She was persistent and after talking to 5 or 6 people, someone discovered that they did indeed carry records.

2. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

You have a good wife. BestBuy people know nothing.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Forum Resident

They said on the site that MoFi did the two disc set, but there's nothing on the record to prove that.

-HM

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

This album is getting great reviews!

Has this been mentioned yet? Look at the cover! Doesn't that remind anyone of a ******?:D:D

5. Publius

Publius Forum Resident

Only if I was a necrophiliac.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Same with Futureshop up here. When I called another store for the vinyl the guy said "you mean old school records?":sigh:

7. Red

Red Forum Resident

Probably not :rolleyes:

8. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

That vinyl lp looks terrific. I know just how you must feel. It's like trying to get to sleep on Christmas Eve. When's Santa gonna get here?!

I do expect the 2-lp version to sound good, but not much beyond the CD. The 5-lp version is the one I'm really looking forward to. Wasn't that version being mastered at RTI? When will that version be available? If I hear any good news on that front, I'll gladly pay the money for the box set.

The brickballing of D-Mag is disappointing, yes, but it's common on all albums today. We should be thankful that more and more people are becoming aware of the Loudness Wars, and are demanding some changes. Hopefully, we will begin to see a turnaround on this issue. It's frustrating for any music lover, because, as Bob Dylan pointed out, the bands sound a hundred times better in the studio. Whatever happened to quality control?

Here's hoping that the Mall of America's Best Buy will have some lp's in stock. Why would they only stock a small handful? Very strange.

As to the mixing of Death Magnetic, I think many fans are going to realize just how much they missed Bob Rock. Remember that the last time Lars Ulrich had the mixing boards to himself was on Justice. The results speak for themselves; that was the very reason Metallica turned to Rock in the first place. This band is better served with someone else manning the controls, and that's probably sound advice for most everyone. Unless your first name is Prince, don't try to run the entire show.

9. Daniel Thomas

MoFi handled the Metallica reissues, so I'd expect the same from D-Mag. Now who got the 45's, and when will they talk?

10. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

What's the difference between the 2 disc and 5 disc set? If the 2 disc set is 45 rpm, what's the 5 disc set? 90 rpm?

11. Publius

Publius Forum Resident

Methinks (and this is my guess - I haven't listened) that the only selling point of the 5LP release are "the record spins faster" and "the grooves, they are bigger". No mastering differences.

12. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Only if I'd never actually seen one before.

13. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

:laugh:(Maybe it was the fact that when I saw the picture of the cover from a distance in a store this week, that image came to mind. I'll be seeing the eye doctor soon...):D

14. Hollow Man

The 2 disc set is 33 1/3. This is why I believe the listing on BecauseSoundMatters for the 2 disc set is completely wrong. Only the 5 set was supposedly done at MoFi (I haven't found anyone with it yet to confirm) and is at 45.

The 2 LP is nice because I can read all the lyrics, which are cut out to some degree in the CD. But it doesn't have all the cool pics of the CD. Just the band photo across the gatefold.

-HM

15. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

2 disc is 33 1/3.

16. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Just got my 2 disc vinyl. Listening now. Volume is low so one has to crank the volume UP.

17. Daniel Thomas

Yeah, I have to admit, it's been real hard to avoid the CD. It just looks so cool, with the layers of dirt with the coffin underneath. And Target's selling it for $10, which puts it into the impulse-buy column. Too bad I don't have any CD player other than my clunky computer.

That's the one arena where CD trumps the vinyl LP - the CD booklet. It's like getting an art book with your album.

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Wow...tough words from Ted Jensen here. My only remark would be, then why didn't you have your name removed from the liners? It's in mine, plain as day.

Nothing wrong with making this an "Alan Smithee" mastering. ;)

19. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

20. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

21. Hollow Man

In my CD copy, which is digipak, his name is NOT in the credits. My understanding is it's in the jewel case version.

-HM

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

23. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Yech this is not a good piece of vinyl. Some pops and clicks at the begining of each side. Still sounds like he's singing through a straw. Not sure how much can be gained by getting the vinyl version. Others that have mentioned the word haze, I think I agree with that.

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Looking at the waveform, it reminds me of the REM Accelerate vinyl, cut by Ricker - peaks and valleys, but pretty much a solid chunk of sound. Even on my junk, the Accelerate vinyl is much more enjoyable to listen to.

I'm going to run to Best Buy and get the Death Magnetic vinyl.

25. Hollow Man

If you get to Hot Topic today, they have it for only $5.

The digipak layout is nice, even if they did cut out some lyrics. Oh well, I can read them in my vinyl.

-HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.