Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Great article about the production of DM. Quite a contrast between Rubin and Rock. The article states what my biggest beef was with Rock.....the band became an extension of HIM rather than the band sounding like the band:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1592476/20080808/metallica.jhtml

2. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

I'll pleased as punch if this turns out a good one. I didn't much enjoy St Anger. Also from the small clip James voice seems more on point than on St Anger. On a side note about the drug use. I think they made their best work when intoxicated, but I'm glad they seem to have cleaned up for themselves and their families. They were once referred to as Alcoholica for a time I believe.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Good article, thanks.

I meant to post this last night, and reading that article re-enforces my thoughts about the new songs.

On the Mission Metallica website, the band put up the entire OzzFest 2008 show from last weekend for free download to MM Platinum members. I downloaded it, and got to listen to the new song "Cyanide" several more times since I initially heard it live on Saturday night.

It works much better listening to the recording than "live for the first time". The tempo changes that are tough to absorb live, become meshed when you listen for the 5th time, because you are expecting them. The song is really good. Many of the song clips, and especially "Cyanide" remind me of Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. Lots of riffs, many with higher notes, and a more complex song structure. Much of "Cyanide" would feel at home on Lightning, IMO. Obviously, vocals are a lot different than what they did 20 years ago. James sings smooth and with great force, not the raspy shout. If they were trying to make Metallica songs that sound 23 years old, with a slight 21st century "twist", I'd say they are succeeding.

4. SamS

I heard some Unforgiven III clips today. Sounds good to me. The original is such a great song, I think it lends itself well to a "trilogy".

5. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Oooooh, that gets me excited! :agree: Some of my favorite musical passages by Metallica come from RTL.

6. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

"Complex just like Justice!"

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i hope it rocks but expect it will suck. it's been a downward spiral with these guys for more than a decade, and i dunno that Rubin will be enough to reverse it. it just doesn't seem metallica has been "hungry" for a long time now, and you've got to wonder if a bunch of multi-multi-millionaires can really muster the anger that made their first four three albums so great.

8. SamS

9. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I wonder how the standard-issue, 2-disc vinyl will sound. I'll get it anyway.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love the title !

Will there be any ballads on it ?

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

at least it`s not an acoustic love ballad disc called- magnetic love songs
    it`ll be heavy that`s all I want from them.as far as the cover the coffin in the virgina,I wonder what people would think if in 2008 they just came up the title ride the lightning and had a flying electric chair on the cover.still they should have a fan contest and pick the best fan artwork.

12. steveharris

And no Bob Rock!

13. Spirit Crusher

That they're getting back to their roots, which is they are supposed to have done all along, the bastards!
    In reality, they will have ***** thrown at them no matter what they do; the cover would be mocked no matter what it looked like.

14. steveharris

exactly,Load is still my favorite cover!

15. steveharris

I had to laugh I saw a back to school ad for kids clothes and there is this young kid wearing a master of puppets t shirt

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

JCPenney has Master of Puppets t-shirts. I also saw Led-Zep, AC-DC and Beatles t-shirts the last time I was there. Selling nostalgia to the kiddies who are to young to be nostalgic.
    Whatever. Now back to the Metallica - Death Magnetic thread.

17. SamS

For all you XM Radio listeners, a reminder that Mandatory Metallica on XM 51 started today :cool:

They already played Cyanide from the Ozzfest show :thumbsup:

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's my favourite album of theirs!

19. steveharris

I perfectly respect other`s opinions,can you go into more detail why Load is your favorite, more people may give it a better listen

20. Executive

Executive Forum Resident

I'd love it if this album didn't suck, but I fear that it probably will. "St. Anger" was the worst album ever released by any band at any time...ever. Ever. I think there was a time in the 1980's when you could have argued that Metallica was the greatest band in existence (though only for a period). Now it is very possible to argue that Metallica is the worst band in existence. We shall see.

21. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

A bit harsh isn't it?
    Metallica's output over the last 15 years or so has been very pale in comparison to their earlier achievments. That's a no brainer. However we all know that Metallica will never be considered "the Worst band in existence".
    It's simply untrue.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I initially dismissed St Anger. I got into it this year, and I love it. Lots of faults (the Protools construction, Bob Rock playing (?) bass), but overall I love the aggression.

23. Spirit Crusher

Load is full of groove and soul. (Reload as well) Hetfield was a rockabilly outlaw screaming to be unleashed - it certainly was a surprise at the time. If you can't feel it, you can't feel it.

I also like St. Anger - I quite liked it a lot when it was released, and I haven't listened to it in years. But I still dig several parts of it - particularly Sweet Amber, Purify, Unnamed Feeling. Scott Ian said it best: there is a good 45-minute record in there. I still don't like the fake "garage" or "DIY" bulls**t sound, or the Pro-Tools cut-and-paste mentality. Very amateurish.

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Some truth in your statement. IMHO, the double CD set with the orchestra was the worst (I got it as a gift and haven't even played it yet). St. Anger was different that any other album, but the band was also coming off a lot of personal issues going on in the group. It's a wonder it ever got recorded at all. Mind you, I would like them to return to the And Justice For All type of playing (my favorite:righton:).

25. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

i wonder what cliff would say of what the band's become.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.