Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Wasn't Deaf Magnetic recorded on ProTools ? I'd be very surprised if it wasn't recorded/mixed/mastered all digitally. How else are they going to apply the AutoTune to Hetfield...

2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) it was recorded to tape, then most likely put into a DAW.

3. mesabassman

mesabassman Forum Resident

From what I read the album was recorded to 2" tape and then mixed and edited in pro tools...

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

...and edited.....and edited....and edited...

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Aside from any sound issues, this music is great! I'm not a big Metallica fan, but this music is catching, if not addictive. I'm surprised at the 'pop" hook-laden songs.

BTW, as far as the regular vinyl LP is concerned, it sounds less compressed as the CD probably does. I did finally detect distortion on a song or two, but it's not bad.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Glad you like it. Crappy sound aside, I think it's a great album as well.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, and most albums today have had some DAW exposure, so get over it.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sadly, if you play the GH version of it, you hear some human elements, like some not so perfectly timed guitar notes here and there. On the cd, they DAW'd it a$$ tight.

9. I've been spinning the retail CD, the GHIII, the 2LP, and Demo Magnetic endlessly...

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thats is one of the reason why I prefer the 'Promo' version, I can't get passed the thought someone is playing a game to make the Cd?

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'm confused by your post. The CD is not the same as the game version. I don't think you have to actually play the game to listen to the music on it.

I don't care how it got put out, it sounds better on the game than the cd.

12. Maidenpriest

When I heard the GH version, all i thought about was, this is stupid I am listening to Metallica being played not on a real guitar by some teenager!

13. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

What Dave said... you don't need to play the game to get the music. Someone just ripped it from the game. It sounds 100X better than the retail CD.

14. Maidenpriest

I know I have heard it, a tad quite IMO!

15. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

That's why you have a volume knob, turn it up.

16. Zerhyn

Zerhyn New Member

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Wow!

I've been living under a rock the last two weeks and today I finally heard DM. I was pretty floored sitting at the audition booth today at the record store--this album is GOOD!! The mastering is hideous, a travesty, but the tunes are killer. Hetfield's vocals are my least favorite part and yeah, I think the mix is not perfect, either, but so what? It's Metallica acting like their bad selves again. Righteous indeed for these truly grim times.

PS. Got the 'Death Magnetic' CD and at the same time a minty-in-shrink-w/-hype-sticker-too Sepultura 'Beneath the Remains' on LP, mastered by the great Mike Fuller--guess which sounds better and thrashier and all-around nastier?? A good day, yep!! :)

18. LadyPhoenix

LadyPhoenix New Member

Heard both and I still can't go out of my way to be impressed..........

19. Maidenpriest

:laugh: Of course but when playing shuffle with my Metallica DCC's, it is annoying etc!

20. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

21. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

which GH3 version are you listening to?

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I listened to side one of the 2lp package.

1. This album is not mastered loud, in fact I had to turn up my volume a click higher than some other lps. The mastering sounds fine.

2. The mix is the problem with this lp. IMO, The lousy sounding snare drum is too loud in the mix. The bass drum is buried and eq'd, leaving only the lower frequencies. The cymbals sound hissy. The drumming is mediocre and lars rarely uses his tom toms and when he does they are buried and eq'd leaving only the lower frequencies. The drums are very important in a four piece group and they really drag this album down.

The guitars sound fine as do the vocals.

The bass guitar is buried and eq'd leaving only the lower frequencies. I don't know what Metallica has against bass guitar or bass in general. Maybe their afraid the guitars won't stand out if they turn up the bass.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah, and Rob being so good they don't want to be upstaged.

I agree about the drum sound. Between bass and drums these guys have a hard time getting a good mix.

24. But they should be able to cut the LP loud if it is mastered properly.

The fact they cut it quieter suggests it was cut from a compressed digital master.

25. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

WSJ Story

Cliff makes a statement
    http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/39977

meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.