Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfi

Rfi New Member

2. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Seems to me that the current best version is the untouched one from GHIII...

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I have lowered the volume on the promo version and I prefer that one now, its isn't too loud and is still 'Grungey' I find the GH3 one a bit too 'Clean':hide:

4. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

It pretty much has to be clean - it's just the individual multi-tracks being played over each other simultaneously.

And just to follow up on the rumor that Metallica would theoretically replace the GHIII version of the album with their preferred mix, that's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE. Music in GH and Rock Band use the individual stems from the original multitracks, which are then mixed in the game on the fly. If they wanted their brick-walled abomination of a mix to be in the game, they'd have to brick-wall each individual stem, which I can't really see happening.

5. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

Have any of you ever stopped to wonder that part of the reason for the crappy sound on "Death Magnetic" is to blame on the digital recording and mixing? Digitally recorded metal sounds like crap. You get a thinner sound and more ear fatigue. For rock and metal you simply need the warmth and fatness you get from analog tape.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That has nothing to do with the distortion and clipping. The GH version sounds fine.

7. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

I know, but even when the mastering is done right, digitally recorded metal still sounds like crap. It is like painting on a glass mirror that harshly reflects all your colors. I like my metal done on good old analog tape. Sounds much better. Ever since metal bands went all digital in the early 1990s the sound went down the drain. Plus, digital allows for too much "fix it in the mix" nonsense and sloppiness, the end result being a more lifeless sound.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I believe it's all Geddy Lee's fault. I've been down this road with you before. Just 5 or 6 different user names.:laugh:

9. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

No idea what you are talking about but I still refuse to embrace digitalism.

10. Maidenpriest

I think 90% of people or more on this forum would prefer any form of music analog rather than digital, that is why we are here and that is why we respect Mr Steve Hoffman for what he does?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Steve doesn't record music. He only masters it.

12. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

That's nice but unfortunately people who prefer analog always come under attack from the digital crowd. I have seen posts from people who announced they got rid of all their digital gear and went analog only and everyone immediately started questioning their sanity and intelligence and telling them what a big mistake they were making. Then there were posts from people who announced they got rid of all their analog gear and went digital only, and they were immediately congratulated for their wise choice and for embracing new technology. Why the bias?

Anyways, back on topic...about Metallica's Digital Magnetic album: what I was trying to say is that apart from the mastering, as with any other digitally recorded rock or metal album, the recording technology is partly to blame for the thin and fatiguing sound. Properly recorded analog metal never gives me ear fatigue, whereas even a well-recorded and well-mastered digitally done album like Megadeth's "Cryptic Writings" gives me ear fatique. It's just not a very pleasant sound.

13. Maidenpriest

Does he master digitally? (post you quoted edited, Cheers for the correct info Dave!)

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

No.

15. Boff Rostabif

Boff Rostabif New Member

If by "digital" you mean if he uses digital mastering equipment: no. But if you mean if he also masters for CD: yes, of course.

16. nin

nin Forum Resident

Are you for real? Of course not! Digital recording have nothing to do with this at all! Digital can sound warm, cold, whatever you put on it.

17. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

:agree:

18. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Excuse me????
    If the Lp is so "off center" to require a drill.. it goes back.. I send Lp's back all the time because of scratches, damaged covers etc.
    If I buy an Lp and I pay full "new" price, it better be in good condition..
    If I have to "alter" an Lp to play it correctly, and I DONT return it, then I have just contributed to the lowering of QC for the Lp industry..
    I can't believe someone would even say such a thing!.. if I paid $100 for a boxset that was not playable and the store I purchased it from would not give me a refund, that store would not get another $$ of mine, end of story...

Rick

19. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

I just re-read that you bought the 2-Lp version, so you didn't pay $100 for the 5-Lp boxset.. I still stand by what I said and I would return the Lp...
    I don't understand why you would think a store would not take an Lp on return that had to be modified to play correctly?

Rick

20. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I'm no engineer, but DAW recording in and of itself causing ear fatigue? Listen to Steve's mastering of Willy Wisely. Compression used in the mastering stage, brutalizing EQ, etc. is what causes ear fatigue.
    Death Magnetic was recorded on tape. (and demolished during mixing, too, apparently)

By the way, I agree that the sound of heavy metal recordings has gone down the ****ter but it's not due to "digital recording", per se - the engineering decisions. Check out Necrophagist's Epitaph, mastered by Bob Katz.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I thought I would try to find the GHIII version to see what it sounded like. It sounds good, very crankable. Now Lars' drumming, on the other hand, can't be fixed.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The place I bought if from does not take returns. They do exchange, but the store is 75 miles away from me. It's not even worth it to try. I just got a round file and made the hole just big enough to center the record. All is good now.

Great. Do you have an extra $100 to GIVE me? I don't think so!:rolleyes:

23. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Yes, absolutely.

Let's all be thankful that Bob Rock is out of the picture.

24. Agreed.
    With success, and I say from 88` after Justice, not 91`from The Black Album......the band started to lose their way.
    I always felt the Black album was at least 3 maybe 4 songs too long.
    I just don`t like Load or Re-Load.....they had lost what made them great in the first place.
    St Anger........if there are any songs on there the production murdered them at birth.
    The new album is a welcome return to a former glory that I felt they no longer had in them.

25. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Ok, understandable why you would want to try to make the record playable.
    As to my 2 Lp to 5 Lp ($100 comment) that was just a correction from my previous post in which I had thought you had purchased the $100 5 Lp boxset.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.