Metallica - Death Magnetic - new album discussion part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainstar2

rainstar2 New Member

Actually I did think along those lines. :sigh: But the packaging to that album is really cool. I think that is one of the best I have seen for them as a band "packaging wise."

Does anyone think they would would stop the sell of the bad mastering cd's and put out a new cd?

2. rainstar2

rainstar2 New Member

Wasn't Metallica in Europe when the mixing was going on? Usually they are involved in that process.

3. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I do hope that press release is fake, my dear friend, because it makes zero sense... :sigh:

I wasn't aware there were problems with Maiden's DOD DVD-A... can you clue me in? It's a title that's always been in my "to-buy" list and now I'm scared...

4. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Not from what was shown in the studio footage.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Who has done so, thus far? Chili Peppers? No. Rush? No. McCartney? No. Yer only hope, IF the original recording is okay, is that a label like MOFI releases it someday without the heavy limiting applied. This will never happen. Well, probably never. :)

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Just been watching Metallica on BBC2's 'Later With Jools Holland', AAAAWWWWWSSSOOOMMMEE SOUND! What the hell happened with Death Magnetic?

JG

7. Spirit Crusher

James sure can't sing Sandman like he used to, but then again, it sounds like it's at the top of his range. At least he can still hit the notes and not shred his throat.

8. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I agree with those above. The major difference is Metallica released (by accident) an alternate sounding (arguably superior) version of their album on the GHIII. The GHIII release gives fans a choice. If the GHIII mastering was the same crappy one that's on the official release then people could complain all they want and nothing would ever be done. The GHIII version gives people leverage to use against Metallica to redo it. I still don't think anything will be done. There's too much potential money to be lost.

I would suggest we all convince forum member Joey Self (attorney) to file a class action lawsuit on our behalf. I can see it now...

The Members of the Steve Hoffman Music Forums ~VS~ Metallica & Warner Bros. :agree:

I wonder if Warner would still have SH master titles for them? :shh: Becausesoundmatters indeed...

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

There was an instrumental version of Dance Tonight that sounded fantastic. No squashing at all. I think it was on Macca's website.

10. Spirit Crusher

If you have a 16-bit 48Khz audio file, what's the best method to resample to 44.1khz, for CD burning?
    I found the Secret Rabbit Code plugin for Foobar - is this good? Any other suggestions?

(yes, this is related to Death Magnetic...:shh:)

11. Tadpole in a Jar

Tadpole in a Jar Forum Resident

I use a thing called "r8brain." It does nothing but resample and convert, and it's free! Someone told me it's the most lossless thing for converting wav samples they've found. Just make sure you use the "Very High" quality setting.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

If you wanna hear some nasty Autotune artifacts compare End Of The Line on the cd versus the GH version. The quiet part where James says "the slave becomes the master...". On the cd he sounds like a kazoo!

13. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Death Magnetic 45RPM 5 album boxset's sound quality?

Anyone hear if the sound is better on the 45RPM 5 album boxset?

14. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

You're kidding right? The limited edition 180 gram 5LP 45RPM audiophile version WILL have the same highly compressed, no dynamic, autotuned mastering as the CD. It's probably even mastered from the CD for convenience sake. :laugh:

I mean really... can anyone beat Vlado Meller... 9.9 times out of 10 they always pick the Vlado Meller mix/mastering. I mean he's got the most expensive rig, no one can even compete with Vlado Meller :rolleyes:

Vlado Sit... Good Boy!
    Vlado Roll Over... Good Boy!
    Vlado Stay... Good Boy!
    Vlado Compress... Good Boy!

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Vlado had nothing to do with this album.

16. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Yea, I know. Just rippin' a bit on Rick Rubin and his henchman Vlado.

The Musicangle Interview: Producer Rick Rubin Part I

17. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

18. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

What do others think about the swirly effect on James' vocals during the spoken "luck.runs.out" part on All Nightmare Long? This is one instance in which I actually prefer the CD version.

19. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

I've had Death Magnetic for a week now and have been able to really digest every song, and IMO this is a stone cold classic. Every song kicks ***...some moreso than others but they never fall below the level of kick *** on the kick *** meter. I don't know how anyone can say this sounds like old guys struggling to keep up, because it's absolutely ferocious to my ears. Awesome guitar licks all over the place, and I don't even mind Lars drumming. He has a staccato style that's part of Metallica's trademark sound and a more loose, ornate style wouldn't fit.

The GH III version seals the deal. It's not perfect but it's got the dynamics, ebb and flow that make music involving instead of migraine-inducing. I can't believe the difference, especially in the chorus of The Day That Never Comes. It's actually listenable now.

20. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Yeah with DOTR (sorry Death On the Road, I made a mistake:o) their were 3 disc 1 a documentary, and 2 DVD's of the concert (one in 5.1) but when played on the majority of DVD's players it froze during the middle of the DVD then stutters for the rest of the gig, it plays OK in really expensive dvds and playstations, so after much talk on there forum, which the Band must of picked up on, a silent remaster was issued ie if you buy it now it will be ok?

21. mteinum

mteinum Forum Resident

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

23. mteinum

mteinum Forum Resident

24. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I picked this up last night at J&R Records last night for $7.99! I had long since given up on Metallica (once one of my favorite bands) after the Loads and St. Anger but I after reading all of the comments I decided to check it out and with that price I figured I had little to lose. Wow, on the first listen I am very impressed with the album! I'll let other people debate about the sound but I am just talking about the music here. The comments I've read that this could have been the album between And Justice For All and the Black Album are dead on in my opinion. Most of these songs have an intense ferocity that push the album along. Good comeback!

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

It would be good if they toured less and recorded a follow up very soon.
    if they can keep this spark going for another record the sooner the better
    in another 5 years God only knows where Metallica`s head will be musicly.
    Maybe the whole music industry will have changed by that point,downloads and no record company,metallica could easily put out live and reissued material to fulfill their contract obligations.I was really surprised with the music on Death Magnetic I can just enjoy it for what it is,and do not feel a need to make comparisons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.