Meatloaf: Bat Out Of Hell different CD masterings (surprise?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricks, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The reason why I posted a waveform is because of George P's comment that he pictured the hard limited sound which wasn't the case.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's possible that bad EQ choices were made or that a bad tape was used to master the Japan-for-U.S. disc.

I have not done serious A/B comparisons with Bat Out of Hell, but I was never wowed by the Japan-for-U.S. (CBS/Sony pressing), Japan-for-Europe, or later U.S. pressings that I have. The first CD of Bat Out of Hell that wowed me was the 25 8P disc. It is very good.

By the way, there is also a Japanese JVC pressing for the U.S. market. I'm sure it is identical to either the Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for the U.S. or the later U.S. pressing.

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

It's far from "impossible". You only need the EAC CRC codes to tell the difference. Look at this post for an example.

I'll be happy to re-post with the CRC codes if you wish.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi, I meant with only the peak values it was impossible, CRC's should work. Null tests of course are definitive, but I don't know how to actually do them myself.

Rick

6. ricks

The 25 8P and the early DADC (at least the one I have) are identical. Of course there could be pressing differences, even amongst 2 high quality pressing such as these, but let's not go into that, please. I always thought the sound on my early DADC was good. Look like it'll be my "keeper" and the Japan for US will go to boxed storage.

Rick

7. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I just found a copy of Bat Out Of Hell with "unique" EAC levels, at least relative to those discussed so far in this thread. It was manufactured/distributed in Canada (Cinram/Sony), and has catalog number Epic WEK 90891 (matrix: #920111B WEK-90891 MFG BY CINRAM).

The levels are:

82.7 / 61.2 / 65.5 / 85.9 / 71.2 / 85.3 / 77.1

(NOTE: These levels represent those of the Japan for Japan and US DADC discs, reduced ever-so-slightly by a constant scale factor).

I would presume this is the same mastering as the Japan 25 8P and US DADC versions.

Here is a scan of the tray card artwork:

Attached Files:

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yikes, that's some bad rear art work there, Ivan. How could they veto the picture of Meat feeling up the chick's behind? ;)

I've got another disc to add to the chart. Not a new mastering, though.

Japan For Japan, Epic/Sony ESCA 7527. Matrix is DP 2676. Peak levels are the same as the other Japanese 258P and US DADC (orange column).

9. It's not the peaks that are the problem, they might have the same dynamics
    as a copy NOT normalized. It's a waveform that would tell the
    dynamic range (but not tonality). Peak values aren't a big deal to me personally.

10. you mean THIS shot? (laughing)

Attached Files:

11. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Is the japan for eu ?
    the same mastering as japan for u.s.
    my copy (japan for eu) cdepc 82419
    has matrix= didp-10818 31A2 +++++
    w/ csr compact disc repeated around hub

12. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

I think I got another unique one:

US for US

Total time: 46:41

Matrix: EK 34974 DIDP 020018 G3 2C 08

Levels (from XLD):

1. 97.7234
    2. 97.7203
    3. 97.7203
    4. 97.7234
    5. 97.7234
    6. 97.7234
    7. 97.7234

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Looks like a level-shifted version of the Japan for USA.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I thought that at first except that the TT differ by 5 seconds and the peaks on mine are not all identical.

15. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad to have the "good" version. It's really not all that "good..."

On Steve's Super '70s comp, the single version of "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" sounds quite good. Is the single's EQ dramatically different from the album version or is it possible that with a potential AF release, (c'mon, Steve, you know you wanna!) we could finally get a GOOD sounding version of this classic album?

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I wonder which mastering the Japan-for-U.S. pressing has. My copy probably the same mastering as the Japan-for-U.S. since it is an early CBS/Sony pressing. I'll have to check tonight if I don't get home too late.

17. ricks

I never realized until now that the Super 70's version was the single. Yep it's 1:26 less in running time. As for AF that would be incredible but it's owned by Sony so not a chance in Hell it'll escape (pun intended).

The recording quality may also be an issue? I don't seem to remember the vinyl sounding all that great but it's been many years since I've heard it.

18. TStewart422

It really is too bad that there are only a few masterings of this great album. Granted, it's not all that good sonically, but there's got to be a way to polish this thing up! Has anyone tried re-EQing it? I'm thinking of playing with EQ match with the aforementioned "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and my copy of the Mastersound (that I bought thinking it would be better :shake:). It's the newest non-compressed transfer, so it would probably yield the best result (IF EQ Match is effective)... that is, unless Jim Steinman feels like doing a remix! :winkgrin:

19. TStewart422

SUCCESS! Using the free demo of CurveEQ, I was able to "match" the eqs of Steve's "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and the Mastersound version! Let's put it this way, if I had some sort of proof that this would work for the entire album, then I'd be ready to plop down the $90!

20. ricks

Interesting. What were the differences? Which frequency's were lowered and which were increased?

21. TStewart422

I'm not really well-versed in describing such things, I can merely say that it was a reverse smiley-EQ. Meat's and the backup singer's voices were brought up and everything else went down. When I get home, I'll screencap it and post some samples if that's allowed... don't wanna get Gort'd! :sigh:

22. TStewart422

Hopefully I don't get Gort'd for this, but if the worse happens, it's been nice knowing you guys!

All are FLAC files that never left WAV or FLAC status. They were converted in Audacity with a 32-bit floating point. They were all processed with ReplayGain to give them generally the same volume to avoid bias in that regard. Obviously, Steve's version has different audio because it is the single version, but the other two match ALMOST beat-for-beat. I did the best I could on these and hopefully will end up with a positive result.

Here's the EQ Curve used:

[​IMG]

And here are the files (all are 25 sec.):

Super '70s (Steve's): http://files.me.com/tstewart422/r9bclx

Mastersound: http://files.me.com/tstewart422/w891nd

CurveEQ'd Mastersound: http://files.me.com/tstewart422/3yegd0

Be sure and let me know what you guys think! A lot of fun could be had with this little plugin!

23. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

Epic
    EK 34974
    USA For USA

Matrix: 1A EK34974 09 A
    Clear Hub: CMU P 26

1. 84.6
    2. 62.6
    3. 67.0
    4. 87.9
    5. 72.9
    6. 87.2
    7. 78.9

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Nope. I just ran it and the EAC values match the JPN 25.8P/US DADC discs.

Attached Files:

25. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Wow... I'd really would love to hear a SH mastered version of BOOH after hearing that sample posted above. Sounds fantastic to my ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.