McIntosh MC-30's, MX110 tube discussion. Perfect 6U8, 12AX7, tube? See post #43 for Steve's input.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audible Nectar, Apr 9, 2005.

1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Here's some thoughts on the 6U8 - looks like Mr. DeWick chimed in: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-177944.html

6GH8As are still inexpensive - I got a sleeve of NOS RCAs for $25 - they can be used in place of the constantly escalating in price 7199s with a wiring change to 3 spots on the socket. I picked up some new boards for my Dyna MK IV amps, and they're set up for 6GH8As.

2. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Dr. D,

I still love ya.:hugs:

:hide:

:thumbsup:

Best

Bob

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I am discovering that, NO. Not even 1,000 hours, maybe not even 500.

Forum member Vintage-Tube sent me all the 6U8's he had (mainly Telefunkens) and I got all of mine together and pulled out my trusty B&K 650 tube tester.

Well, guess what, gang?

Each and EVERY 6U8 that had seen some use was toast, in one or both positions, the pentode and/or the triode. I am realizing that, for example in my second McIntosh MX-110 (the one that sat since the 1960's) all of the tubes in the unit are original. I pulled each and every one out, all the FM tubes, all of them and tested.

Every tube in the entire unit still tested STRONG except, you guessed it, the 6U8's in the audio section and the 6U8 in the FM section. Practically dead. While the 12AX7s right next to them still were very strong.

This is just not a robust tube. Be prepared to replace them often if you have an MX-110 or at least test them.

WARNING: The 6U8 in the FM section (way in the back on the left) should be changed only if really a doggie since you might have to realign the FM if you switch out. At the very least, replace with exact same era and brand of tube. In my MX-110 above there was an RCA 6U8 back there (which tested dead). I believe it was a replacement tube from way back when because a Tele would have come stock in that position.

MY MAIN THOUGHT: I might have misjudged the Telefunken ECF 82 (6U8) as a bad sounding tube because I actually don't have a single one that works right and I guess I never did! Even my two NEW OLD STOCK Tele 82's that I have been saving for a rainy day test way uneven in both sections. Shocking.

Just not a wonderful tube but we're stuck with it in this unit, sorry to say.

It's an important tube in the MX-110. Get RCA's (they are still only 5 dollars each). You'll be replacing them a bunch of times in your lifetime. Get them now while you can.

Or, if you're really rich, get Teles or whatever but I'm done throwing money down THAT hole!

I just bought 5 RCA 6U8's for five bucks each and 5 GE's (probably also made by RCA) for less than that from a ham operator tube guy on eBay. He has more left if you want me to direct you to him. Let me know.

Attached Files:

florida71 likes this.
  4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Anyone try a 6GH8 in lieu of the 6U8? I can attest to the 6GH8's kissin' cousin 7199 (with different pinout and much higher price) as being a short lived tube. Dyna amps need a steady diet of those pesky and expensive 7199s, which was part of the motivation for me to try some different driver boards in my MK-IV amps. Simple unsolder/resolder job that can be easily undone to go back to stock, and 6GH8s are cheap and easy to track down. Perhaps it would last longer in the MX-110 and save folks some $$$ as well.

5. vintage_tube

Steve (aka Dr. D),

Sent an email thru back channels into the depths of McIntosh stating the issue & your theory with the 6U8. I'm confident I'll hear something back from them and will post a response.

As emailed under seperate correspondance, you are welcomed on the 6U8 tubes I sent. No further comment necessary at this time my friend.

Best

Bob

6. vintage_tube

Heard back from Roger (Russell) & he reports:

"Bob:

I have never owned an MX110 so am not aware of this problem. However, I recall other equipment that used 6U8 and that I had several spares for some reason. Now I wonder whether this is a tube problem or the way it is used. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Roger"

You are getting warm Steve........

Don't expect any further replys until Monday.

Best,

Bob

7. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Bob. Let us know if you hear more.

Jpnh likes this.
  8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Terry Dewick might have some ideas about the use of the 6U8 in the MX110 as well.

9. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

"I have a report from a reliable source that 6U8s and 6GH8s can exhibit a strange interaction with output tube grids."

"The 6U8/6EA8/6GH8 family is well known for issues between stages. The 6GH8's are heavily used in color TV circuitry, and are known for failures."

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4213830

"have heard from two veterans of McIntosh that 6U8 tube was notorious for failing."

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87157

"The reliability of 6GH8 tubes is somewhat variable. Some have a tendency to degrade rather quickly. It was nearly *impossible* to keep old RCA Color Televisions (where they were VERY common) supplied with good 6GH8s."

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=dynaco&m=12352

Bashing the 6GH8 here

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=250003

Other little tidbits

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=427477

Interesting 6U8 discussion

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regenrx/messages/5487?threaded=1&m=e&var=1&tidx=1

10. Steve Hoffman

So the tube is a turkey. Pretty hard to miss that fact when the 24 tubes I tested (most expensive Telefunken, yanked out of MX-110's) all fail to test correctly.

So, if you use your McIntosh MX-110 as a daily driver, get a goodly supply of a nice sounding 6U8 at a good price (the RCA's are $5.00 each right now) and check often.

To spend $75.00 on one or two Telefunken, Mullard, etc. European ECF82 valves for the MX-110 is throwing money down a hole, sad to say.

Good thing the old NOS RCA's sound so wonderful. That's a lucky break for us MX-110 users...

11. vintage_tube

Cool Beans Steve -- are you going after RCA 6U8's only or 6U8A's as well?? Just curious for filing in my tiny brain.;)

Thanks my friend,

Bob

12. Steve Hoffman

Hi Bob,

Well, the 6U8a seems to be the one that is out there still for not much money. I'm very sure that most 6U8's (older versions) died fast deaths in TV's.

Now, I have two really old (new old stock) RCA 6U8's (NOT 6U8A) and I tried them out yesterday. (Wanting to test your buddy Count D's theory about the unit running hotter with the 6U8A, etc.) Couldn't hear any difference in tonality between the two tube types and the MX-110 didn't run any hotter with the later tube in there.

Of course, compared to a Fisher 500B or C, the McIntosh MX-110 runs as cool as a Frigidaire.

13. vintage_tube

Cool ...do you have an infra-red temp gauge? That would be the best tool to use on the transformer.:thumbsup:

I have one -- but, you're a little more than a 15 minute drive away.:D (could send it to you, if you wish).

Best

Bob

14. Steve Hoffman

Bob, sure, why not? I'll do a controlled test.

15. vintage_tube

Okay, USPS priority tomorrow to the address on file.:righton:

Do it the Steve way -- the right way!!!!!!!

Best

Bob

16. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Makes me want to use a variac all the time, or a cooling fan, maybe.

17. Steve Hoffman

I received these today, safe and sound. RCA and GE 6U8A's. Looks like some of the last runs of these (the RCA's are genuine and the GE's are actual GE's, not rebranded something else). The price is right (4 or 5 bucks each) and this guy has more of them. He sells them in sleeves of five. Well worth it.

If you have an MX-110, I recommend you grab some of these. PM me if you need his eBay handle.

Attached Files:

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Thanks Steve, my sleeve of RCA 6U8s arrived on Monday.

19. Steve Hoffman

Good. Best deal on tubes this year.

By the way, y'all, I pulled out my McIntosh MR-71 FM tuner today and the thing is dead. On a hunch I yanked out the old Telefunken 6U8 in there and tested it with my B&K 650 tube tester. Yikes! The thing was beyond dead. The "SHORT!" light went off as well.

Again, replacing that tube and the unit came back to life. All the OTHER tubes in the MR-71 tested STRONG! Only the 6U8 was busted.

So, once again, I believe the 6U8 tube isn't robust and does not wear well. Every other tube in this MR-71 from 1965 is original and test very strong.

Check your MR-71 or MX-110 often for that 6U8 tube. Have a good supply of them in stock.

20. Steve Hoffman

Also your MR-67 and 65B tuner!

21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like those towels.

22. vintage_tube

Received the following reply from Ron Evans, VP, Engineering at McIntosh & the designer of the MC2301 300 watt tube mono amps and co-engineer of the famous C2300 preamp and other fine amps/preamps in the McIntosh stables.

He is one smart cookie -- I've spoken to him on the phone several times and after 10 minutes, I can't begin to comprehend, let alone jot down on a notepad his minute details in explaining a design decision, etc. At least with emails, I can re-read his responses to my questions multiple times.

Bob,

Wherever possible, McIntosh designs derate operating conditions of each component enough to assure lifetime that exceeds the normal for that type of component. Tubes are no exception. First, the operating conditions are typically only a small fraction of the tube’s maximum rating. Second, the design is conservative so that performance specifications will be met with tubes that test significantly lower than “good” in a tester.

MX110:

The MX110 was out of production long before I came to McIntosh. However, I have had several recent occasions to study the design. The application of the 6U8 in V16 and V17definitely follows the guidelines above. The cathode current is low (the primary parameter that ages tubes). The unit should meet specifications with a weak 6U8.

The conditions are a little different in the tuner, V11. The pentode section is operated at low cathode current, so it should have a long life. It may affect FM MPX separation as it ages. The triode section is pushed a little harder, about 50% of the cathode current design rating. However, the tube gain is not relevant to tuner performance. The conduction must only be high enough to keep the FM MPX light from lighting when no FM Stereo signal is being received.

I almost never use a tube tester for tube evaluation. It only indicates the relative gain at one operating condition that was determined by the tube tester engineer. Any pass-fail criteria have also been determined by the tube tester engineer. It is not necessarily indicative of whether the tube will perform satisfactory in any given circuit application. I have never found any tube manufacturer published data that shows the minimum acceptable parameters for any given tube number.

I hope that this information is helpful, though it is probably not what you expected to see.

Regards,

Ron Evans
    V P Engineering
    McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.
    Ph 607-352-2413
    www.mcintoshlabs.com
    www.facebook.com/mcintoshlabs

Kudos to Ron for taking up his valuable time to read my email and provide an honest opinion. :righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

That's what has kept McIntosh a household name amoungst audiophiles since the late '40's.:thumbsup:

Let the 6U8 discussions begin.

Best

Bob

FashionBoy likes this.
  23. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I searched eBay and found the guy, thanks Steve! I need to stock up on these for my Stereo 70! :righton:

24. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Interesting, other than heat and startup surges I suppose.

Wonder if this "cathode current" over time becomes higher or unstable, weakening the tube quicker?

25. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Interesting statement.