McIntosh MC-30's, MX110 tube discussion. Perfect 6U8, 12AX7, tube? See post #43 for Steve's input.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audible Nectar, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The reason that so many amps, preamps, tuners, etc. made in the USA from the Golden Age used Telefunken tubes is because (so I've been told) the USA distributor practically gave them away for publicity. It just so happened that they were (and are) amazing sounding tubes.

Fanatic tube collecting nuts only want Tele tubes with perfect ink lettering on them, so the rest of us can get the exact same tube branded Fisher, McIntosh, Dynaco, etc. Also they were used in radar and all sorts of other non audio applications and many of those have been yanked and sold for not much money.

If you see NOS Telefunken tubes in pristine boxes on eBay for not that much money, they are fakes. Better to get a FISHER or DYNACO branded Telefunken 12AX7. That way you know for sure you're getting the right thing and not an Asian fake job.

If it has the diamond on the bottom, it's a good one.

If you have the Telefunken 12AX7 tube and nothing to put it in, find something.:)

Andr3w D likes this.
  2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks! Mine takes 12AX7 and 12AU7's........ and I have tele's hanging around for both. Fun. Wow.

:D

3. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I thought you'd get a kick out of this: I was reading this thread and when I got to your photos of the MX-110, I could actually smell mine warmed up, just from looking at the photos. In reality my preamp is in my home system 25 miles from my office. What a trick a photo can play on the brain, eh?

4. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's funny.

I actually had to go and fire mine up after working on this thread. I've decided to move the MX-110 to my mastering room anyway. For that vintage smell and sound when I'm in the mood..

I paid 900 bucks for my current working version, mint, restored, all correct tubes. Some old doctor dude on eBay sold it. Even had the wooden case. Can't beat that price for a fun preamp/FM.

Of course it sounds nothing like a modern tube pre. It also sounds nothing like a vintage Marantz 7 which is much more accurate for such an old design. But for under a grand the McIntosh MX-110 does a lot of things pretty neat and has quite a 3-D sound on the right material. Fun to look at, like looking at the Hi-Fi gear in those old Allied Radio catalogs from 1965 when we were kids and couldn't afford anything and couldn't talk our parents into anything...

Attached Files:

5. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

The MX-110 has got to be the best bargain out there for vintage McIntosh tube gear. I found mine on eBay a few years ago. Very near mint cosmetically, but needing electronic restoration which I did myself. Not necessarily the easiest to work on... things are crowded in the chassis since all is point-to-point wiring. However, the build quality from McIntosh is very high, almost military-spec. This is high-quality stuff. Very heavy, chrome-plated chassis, very good-looking, classic hi-fi gear. Plus, it does sound very good to me!

6. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it was a great machine back in the day and I think one could buy it as late as 1968 in some markets...

I enjoy the 3-D holographic sound it gives the midrange. Not exactly accurate but fun and quite musical.. It works wonders on sterile solid state recordings like ELO "Out Of The Blue" that needs some midrange magic..

7. Steve Hoffman

Eh, who knew? My first expensive (well, over a grand) amp was a giant watt Solid State baby that sounded dry and thick. I found out quickly that power wasn't everything and for the tube stuff, rolling REALLY could change the tone. Never looked back.

I found this pair of RCA 6U8 black plates on the bay for 30 bucks (which is way too much) but they match so I grabbed them. 10 years ago they were 3 bucks..

Attached Files:

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Has anyone had success with any of the 6u8 substitutes like the 6ea8 in the MX110?

9. Steve Hoffman

I've never tried a sub in my MX110 being that the actual 6U8 tube is not rare and is not hard to find. I've heard that unless it is an exact sub for a 6U8, forget it in the Mac..

10. fortherecord

Audio Classics sold me an MX110 years ago with RCA blackplate 6ea8, I never changed them. I no longer have that one, but have another with RCA 6u8.

11. Steve Hoffman

An old crusty TV repair guy just told me in an email that in a tubed color TV set, 6EA8 and 6GH8 are direct replacements for the 6U8A.

He wasn't sure about McIntosh ("Never owned one in m' life")...

He did volunteer this: "World's lousiest radio and TV tubes: 6EA8 and 6U8."

Also, this from the rado archive:

"Comparing 6EA8 to 6U8A/6KD8 there is little difference in the RCA tube
    manual except that the 6EA8 has a bit more gain. The 6EA8 triode has a
    bit less plate dissipation rating while the pentode has a bit greater
    plate and screen dissipation.

I don't see differences great enough to be audible, possibly just enough
    to be able to measure a difference in a laboratory setting, providing a
    large sample of each type is tested.

It is probable that any 6U8 without suffix or dual label 6U8A/6KD8 were
    made a decade earlier than any 6EA8. That added storage (and pin seal
    leakage time may have contaminated the cathodes to lead to shorter life.
    It is possible that had the tubes been operated with heater power alone
    for a day or two to clean up the cathode and the vacuum that they may
    have lasted better, and its possible they were always not very good,
    heading for a short life whenever put into service. Many a TV had 6U8, I
    don't recall any suggestions that the 6EA8 was preferable for
    replacements."

So, there you go.

I heard a pair of these Siemens today. Not bad! Better than the more expensive Telefunken version IMO.. More open..

Attached Files:

12. fortherecord

Thanks for the info, Steve. My current MX110 came with Tele ECF82, which I replaced with RCA 6u8s I had on hand. the Teles were pretty toasted.

13. fortherecord

The question is, why did McIntosh choose to use the 6u8 in the preamp line level section instead of the 12ax7, which they used for the phono section, and also in every other McIntosh preamp line stage?

14. Steve Hoffman

I was actually told the answer to that when I first got into the MX-110 design specs about 14 years ago. Ashamed to say I have forgotten what I was told about the reason they used a 6U8.

Sorry!

At any rate, they used that particular tube and it strongly affects the audio signal tone and quality so we have to grab the good ones, no matter how much of a pain it is..

15. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Funny, in my Scott 222C I substituted a pair of Telefunken 6U8s for these Siemens ECF82 ones and really didn't like it too much - too dark for me, missed that magic midrange "sparkle" with the Telefunken (all other tubes in the amp are vintage Telefunken, apart from the Sovtek 5AR4) ... switched back to the Telefunkens in a heartbeat ......

16. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

What is the expected life span for these 6U8/ECF82 tubes ? More than 5000 hours ?

17. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

And a pair of Valvo ECF82 were even more terrible sounding .... dull, lifeless - not even the vintage Telefunken 12AX7 tubes could save the day with these in the Scott .....

18. fortherecord

Thanks again Steve. I'm currently negotiating a deal on a system consisting of: C11, MC240, MR65a, all of which I've seen are in near mint shape. Keep you posted.

19. fortherecord

This old tube gear is far from accurate sounding, but it sure offers that breath of life, which so much of modern gear lacks!

20. pablo

pablo Forum Resident

I would add that when I got my MC-30's and MC-60's from the gentleman who restored them, I asked if a 5AR4 could be used in place of the 5U4GB. He said, yes, and changed the incoming lead to the power transformer. The 5AR4 seems to speed up the amp, give it more focus, and a little less cold. I've used them this way for about 8 years.

Another position to roll tubes. YMMV

21. fortherecord

I've used 5ar4 in my MC60s without changing anything. I don't know if it changes the sound, but I like that the 5ar4 provides the slower warm up for the cathodes in the output tubes GEC KT88.

22. Steve Hoffman

The quest for the perfect 6U8 still goes on. Valvos stink. Don't like 'em. What's next?

23. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

For the L&R 6U8, currently using 6EA8 GE or Amperex, hard to tell.

Like em better than the RCA Black plates, although those were 6U8A's.

NOS 6U8 hard to find.

Maybe also try a 6GH8A?

24. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Stick with a 6U8 & stay away from the 6U8A (which as identified by the 'a' indicates it has an 11 second fast warm up) and has been reported by many MX110 owners to cause the transformer to run warmer than a 6U8 at .45a and 6.3v.

RCA black plates are great as is a French Radiotechnique (ECF82).

The other varieties mentioned (6EA8A, 6GH8A, 6KD8, and their European equivalents aren't IMO worth pursuing). They have the same pin out, etc., and are interchangeable with varying results due to gain differences in Triodes and Pentode sections. Therefore, a consideration should be addressed to tweak the demux for best seperation, etc.

A plain ole' Jane RCA black plate 6U8 in V16 & V17 is the ticket IMO.

Don't forget about the 6D10 which is used an an impedance buffer for the aux & phono 1&2 inputs & come ahead of V15.

Having said all that, I'll back up and mention an Amperex 6U8/ECF82 is worth a try.

Best

Bob

P.S. Watch out changing a 6U8 in the MPX -- alignment and seperation should be addressed afterwards.

25. Steve Hoffman

I don't believe that for a minute. One guy (CountD, I think he was thrown off of here) said on AudioKarma that his MX-110 ran cooler with an earlier version of the RCA 6U8 and all of a sudden I'm hearing it all over the 'Net EVEN THOUGH TERRY DW said it was not possible for such a thing to be. He's the McIntosh Fix-It God so I believe him...

At any rate, carry on, y'all!

FashionBoy and florida71 like this.