McIntosh MC-30's, MX110 tube discussion. Perfect 6U8, 12AX7, tube? See post #43 for Steve's input.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Audible Nectar, Apr 9, 2005.

1. IanL

IanL Senior Member

NOS RCA, manufactured for Hewlett-Packard. On Steve's advice I sought out the RCAs. These Hewlett Packard issues are the only ones I could find on Ebay at the time. I suppose it is possible that these are later vintage than the ones he has in mind. When I replaced the Telefunken with the RCA, I did not notice a big difference. But the MX-110 was very new to me at that time, so I was not able to make subtle distinctions like I would be able to today. If you are interested in trying one of these RCAs, let me know. I have extras and they were very cheap.

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Hi Jeffrey,
    I definitely don't want to mess with the mids on this baby. My next step will likely be to add an MC 240, so I will have to see how the bass is after that change. I expect the switch to tubes in the amplifier will really make my recently purchased Tannoys come alive. So I have read. Not sure how this will impact the bass performance, however.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Quick bump & grind.

Any Mac preamp users find the perfect 6U8 tube yet? Better than the RCA Black Plate?

4. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Sorry, when I owned my MC30's/MX110 combo; I stayed with the older RCA's and never wandered as you can go crazy rolling the 6U8's. There are a number of substitutes available for them -- 6U8 – 6KD8 – 6GH8 – ECF82 – ECF802 , same pin outs with slighly different parameters & thus may need a tweak in the demultiplex for best separation. Shouldn't cause a problem in the preamp stage though the resulting sound may change.

I recall Richard Modaferri recommending the 6GH8A in lieu of the 6U8. According to the GE Essential Characterics tube book, the 6GH8 has the same triode power as the 6U8 (2.5w) and slighly less on the pentode side (2.5w verses 3w in the 6U8).

Amperex orange globes, France are the ones I'd recommend other than the 40's/50's RCA 6U8's.

Bob

5. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

I'm afraid not. The RCA black plate is still the undisputed champ in my MX110.

6. IanL

IanL Senior Member

What exactly does "black plate" refer to?

7. Steve Hoffman

Take a look. See the black part? Really just denotes a good time in RCA tube making. Especially for the famous 6L6GC output tube. The best for all Fender 40 and 80 watt guitar amps and McIntosh MC30 and 240 amplifiers.

Attached Files:

• rca.jpg
      rca.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks Steve. I will check them out when I get a chance and see what mine look like.

9. Steve Hoffman

Don't let tube dealers try and snow ya. "Black Plate" RCA input tubes (the little mini pin tubes that we all use) are not RARE tubes. There are zillions of them. Do not pay much for these.

Regarding McIntosh 240 or MC30: The later RCA "Clear Top" input tubes are also good. A touch less complex with more of a top end tang. I use Clear Top RCA 12AU7's in my McIntosh MC30 monoblocks to give a little flavor and air to the presentation. The 12AX7s in there are Telefunken, the 12BH7 is GE. The Tele and the Clear Top RCA are a nice duo. The Amperex "Bugle Boy" 12AU7 is a touch leaner and brighter and can work in that position but costs 15 times as much as the lowly RCA Clear Top.

The RCA Black Plate 6L6GCs on the other hand are getting rare.

10. www.records

www.records Active Member

Does anyone think these combinations of tubes would be a good match in my MC40's? I know I have RCA BP 6L6GC's in both amps, but am unsure on the small tubes. I have just been using the tubes that came in the amps when I bought them 4 years ago. I have done nothing but listen and enjoy them.

Opinions or experience appreciated.

11. Audible Nectar

Audible Nectar Forum Resident Thread Starter

WOW. This thread came back from the dead, and what coincidence I pop in for the first time in a WHILE.

Anyway....

I agree with Bob on those Amperex orange globes (French Radiotechnique, also seen in Valvo label) for 6U8s. My local tube guru turned me on to a set of those a few years ago and has been "the tube" for my MX110 linestage since. It is a substantial 6U8, having a dual support ring getter atop and a beefier internal structure. Very unique.

And yes, I still have those MC30s....in fact, two operating pairs, worth every bit of effort to procure and have restored. They are like my children.

12. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Good news! Mine are black plates (6U8)

Everything else is Tele's though. Should I be looking for RCAs for 12AU7's as well?

13. Steve Hoffman

Better late than never.

RCA 12AU7's are the best when they have clear tops. They are called (duh) RCA "Clear Tops". It is a lively sounding 12AU7 and doesn't cost much money. The tube looks unfinished because of the top but it works great if you like a dynamic and detailed sound while still retaining midband purity...

14. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks, Steve. I'll have to see if I can track some down.

15. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Perfect timing of this thread bump. I just bought a Conrad Johnson PV10 AL. It uses only two 12AU7 tubes. Right now I'm pairing the PV10 with my Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amp. And it just so happens that I have a pair of RCA 12AU7 clear tops lying around, which I tried for the first time last week.

Question: I think I read somewhere here, that the preamp tube (which in my case 12AU7), makes the biggest difference in the overall sound with regards to all the tubes in my chain, including those in my power amp? So I should put more focus on them.

16. sushimaster

oh, and here's a RCA 12AU7 topless!

[​IMG]

17. Steve Hoffman

That's the little bugger. A great, inexpensive alternative to an expensive ECC82/12AU7 like a Telefunken, Mullard or Amperex "Bugle Boy". The RCA Clear Top 12AU7 should be 1/6 the price of these European tubes, NOS.

18. Steve Hoffman

McIntosh MX-110 preamp/FM stereo info.

For those of you just joining us, there seems to be some confusion out there about your McIntosh MX-110Z and which tubes audibly effect the sound.

Tube position number 8 - muting/L&R amplifier - 12AT7. This tube SHOULD NOT BE ROLLED, it has no effect on sound quality. 'Kay? Don't bother with it, must make sure it's a fresh tube, GE, Sylvania, whatever.

Onward:

Phono stage. If you use the phono stage on your MX-110, positions 13 and 14 are the two 12AX7 tubes that shape the sound of the phono section. Use Teles if you can afford it. Get the ones rebranded FISHER, DYNACO or whatever. Same good tube, check for diamond on the bottom, don't get a fake. Original Yugo El Teles can work in a pinch. They don't cost much...

Audio tone shaping:

The 15th tube position, the L&R second audio will help shape your tonal balance. This is a 12AX7. Again, the Tele for the magic midband, or whatever you prefer. Keep GE's, SYLVANIA's and other flat sounding tubes OUT of this spot. At the very least, get a vintage RCA black plate NOS. You need the best you can afford here, NOS.

V16 and V17, these are the left and right 3rd audio amp. 6U8 here. I suggest RCA. This really changes the tone and still quite cheap. Get the best. I dislike Telefunkens in this spot, quite muddy (to me). Recently a ton of old Siemens ECF82's have been uncovered and are selling for about 45 bucks each, unmatched. I have NO idea what these sound like, probably good but you can still get RCA Black Plate 6U8s out there for one dollar each.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, position V10 is that wacky 6D10. This is the Compactron tube. This tube does double duty as well. Part tuner stuff and part audio playback so it's an important tube. Problem is, you can't roll it because they are all GE's. It's not a rare tube, it's just not used that much in audio, it was made for Color TV's. This is used BOTH for the FM AND the audio section. This weird tube is like a Triple Hi Mu three section 12AT7 in an odd body. I believe GE invented it in 1960 or so. Back in 1997 I bought a whole bunch of them for a buck each.

So, to recapitulate: The tube spots you need to worry about sound quality issues are: V10, V15, V16, V17. That is all. Those tubes need to be of the highest musical quality. Amperex Bugle Boys, Mullards, Telefunkens, Siemens, depending on the special tone you like for your MX-110 and the rest of your vintage playback system. At the very least, NOS RCA Black Plate or Clear Tops. The GE 6D10 Compactron needs to be working in tip top shape. NOS examples are not too much money, maybe 10 to 15 dollars now. They last a long, long time though. Make sure your 6D10 is fresh in all three segments.

If you use your phono section, V13 and V14 need to be the same high quality, I always suggest Teles in that spot for maximum midrange madness.

For the FM section, etc.: Just make sure that all the countless other tubes in your unit are fresh. Cheap New Old Stock GE, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, etc. work fine in the non-critical spots..

DOES THIS HELP? The MX-110 with the proper tubes can really sing. If you play your unit a lot it is worth it to upgrade these certain tubes, trust me, especially the two 6U8 tubes.

More later if I get the chance!

Attached Files:

AudioHamsa, Snowboy71 and florida71 like this.
  19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

V10, V15, V16, V17! Got it!

It's time to tweak a bit.... great thread!

I asked this in another thread but I might as well as you folks, too.... how do you distinguish between a 12AX7 and a 12AU7? When the writing is all rubbed off, of course. :sigh:

20. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Awesome info Steve, thanks so much! The kind of advice that it takes many years of experience and magic ears to learn. We are lucky you share all this knowledge so generously with us.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's true, ya know! :laugh:

I remember when he deliberately let slip that Telefunken 12AX7 had the "breath of life" and that was the very beginning of my interest in McIntosh and the eventual start of "the long hunt".....

And the kicking myself in the butt for not buying all this stuff in the 1980's! :laugh:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Thanks very much for the tube recommendations on the MX-110Z. I will definately check to see what tubes I have in these important positions!

I read the older posts regarding the MC-30 amps. I have a MC-240 here and am wondering if the recommendations here for the MC-30's generally transfer to the MC-240 as well?

The MC-240 has three 12AX7, two 12AU7, and two 12BH7.

Thanks again!

23. Steve Hoffman

Yes, exactly the same..

24. sushimaster

Gary,

I don't know how one can tell by just looking at it, they look similar to me, however...

I just bought a Conrad Johnson PV10AL preamp that uses two 12AU7 tubes.
    Last night I decided to plug in a couple of 12AX7 tubes (Sovtek) into it just to see what happens. And while it worked and played music, there was also a lot of hiss in the background (think tape hiss with the volume jacked up). So the only sure way to know is to plug the unknown tube in and listen. For a preamp designed to use 12AU7, putting in a 12AX7 tube will generate a lot of noise/hiss in the background. If it sounds normal, then the unknown tube you have is probably 12AU7.

Also, if your preamp is designed to use 12AX7, if you plug in a 12AU7 tube, it will probably sound very low because of the low gain. Once you determine what the tube is, write it on there with a Sharpie. :cheers:

25. sushimaster

It just so happens that I got a large stash of Dynaco branded Telefunkens 12AX7, but no MAC preamp to plug em in. :(