McCartney "Ram" reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rarediscs, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

What was Seiwell so angry about?

2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Sorry for the lousy quality, but this scan shows the master tape for "Jazz Street" (dated December 1972), another "Red Rose Speedway" leftover that was never heard of again. This long instrumental recording didn't even warrant inclusion on any of the "Cold Cuts" configurations.

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I met Denny S in 1981, he didn't seem mad about his experiences with Paul, he just didn't remember a lot of things that weren't that important to him. Nice guy.

theMess likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I made a mistake. "1882" was not on any configurations of Cold Cuts. You're right in that there are several variations, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Hits_–_Cold_Cuts

5. maccacollector

maccacollector Member

According to the liner notes of ARLES '72 (Strawberry Records STR 023), "With A Little Help From My Friends" was also played.

http://www.maccacollector.com/cd/Arles72_StrawberryRecords.html

maccacollector

theMess likes this.
  6. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

'Jazz Street' was tracked at A.I.R. on November 27th, 1972; however, I do not have any mix information - but based on your tape box, I think it's safe to say that it was mixed in December.

And in regards to the live performances, five shows were professionally recorded on sixteen-track:

The Hague
    Groningen
    Berlin
    Antwerp
    Amsterdam

And now a blatant plug. If you're in this thread and don't have a copy of 'Eight Arms To Hold You', you should pick one up before they are all gone - and there are less than 100 left: http://www.lennonology.com/eight_arms.htm

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
  7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Thanks for the update, Chip!
    Do you also know which shows were professionnally filmed?

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There are only, maybe, a half-dozen Beatles books that are absolutely, inarguably, essential and indispensable, and this is one of them. Get one while you still can! :thumbsup:

theMess likes this.
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

+100!

theMess likes this.
  10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Agreed 100% Sean. Personally, I refer to this book more than any other Beatle-related book and that includes Lewisohn's great, "The Complete Beatles Chronicle".

Now back to the Ram discussion.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What exactly does this book detail?

12. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Picked it up, Chip!

13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

It's all solo years. If you want to know about any version, mix, outtake, etc of a solo Beatle track to the year 2000 copyright. It's there, and where to find the best possible version. I can't speak highly enough of this book.

14. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:agree: My go-to book on the solo Beatles.

15. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

A REAL MUST

theMess likes this.
  16. lennonology

Thanks all!

To answer Calico's question about the filming, I have seen no documentation, but it would stand to reason that it was one of the shows that had been professionally recorded. If I remember correctly, I was able to get the Amsterdam audience tape to sync with the professionally shot footage seen in 'The Paul McCartney Special' (as aired in 1986).

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Well, I guess I'll have to pick up this book, then!

Where was the live version of "Wild Life" that is in the credits of The McCartney Years DVD recorded?

18. lennonology

As badly as you've been bitten by the McCartney bug, I figured that you would have been on your second or third copy of the book by now.

I must admit that I have not disassembled 'The McCartney Years' DVD as it was released well after "Eight Arms" was published. However, if it is the same performance of 'Wild Life' that appears in 'The Paul McCartney Special' (which I would find highly likely), then it originates from the Amsterdam show on August 20th.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Wild Life" is not performed on the James Paul McCartney Special.

20. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

The 'The Paul McCartney Special' he was referring to was broadcast then released on VHS in 1986 or thereabouts. "James Paul McCartney" from 1973 was Paul's first ever Tv special and was not the one being discussed. Yep you do need the "Book"! lol

theMess likes this.
  21. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident Thread Starter

WHAT! The Groningen show was recorded on 16 track? The boot of it sounds really bad but the performance has to be the best early Wings live show I have ever heard. I would die to hear this show in better quality! The versions of "Eat At Home", "Bip Bop", "Smile Away" and "Mumbo" are excellent. It's too bad that there is only a fair audience recording of this floating around. The later '72 shows dropped these early songs which was a real shame. There must be SOMEONE out there with a better quality version of Groningen!

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yep haha! I just checked and the "Wild Life" on the McCartney Years DVD is the same as the version in the TV special. Thanks, you two. Now I have something awesome to watch.

Amsterdam's setlist is the same as the setlist I posted on the previous page, which means there exists footage of "Eat at Home" and "Smile Away" being performed live. Maybe we'll get that on the Ram DVD!

23. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

"Seaside Woman" was also recorded on November 27th 1972.
    Could have "Jazz Street" been a jam performed in between takes for Linda's song? Although both sound so different from each other :confused:

24. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

I always believed this tracklisting to be genuine, and that it was in strictly recording order.
    But then agan, if "I Lie Around" was recorded during the Ram sessions, why was it placed here with the April 1973 recordings and not with "Little Lamb Dragonfly" and "Get On The Right Thing"?
    There was never a description to what this "I lie around" outtake consisted of, so can anyone confirm if this is a new version recorded at a later date and never used? Maybe re-recorded for the James Paul McCartney TV special? Maybe considered for Ringo? For Mike McCartney? :confused:

25. lennonology

All five shows recorded by the Stones' Mobile were given rough mixes in mid-November 1972. I would think that the odds of the multi-track getting dusted off and remixed are almost nil - but since it exists on twin-track, I suppose there's a slim chance we might hear this some day.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.