McCartney "Ram" reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rarediscs, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

view of the street

pic 3

Attached Files:

2. Claudio Dirani

wrong pic, sorry

Attached Files:

3. Claudio Dirani

And here's where Linda used to "stepping into her shoes.."

.it's just another day" in NYC in the 60's. @83rd street

Attached Files:

theMess likes this.
  4. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I don't see how you or anyone else could be happy spending $50 to $60 for 5-8 bonus tracks. I know I'm not. If all I'm going to get is a CD I already own, which sounds just fine by the way, so does the Apple LP. A book I don't really need or want. I also already have Thrillington on LP and CD. I just can't justify spending that much money for something that I already own 95% of. I'm not knocking you guys for wanting this stuff. I just think they're offering too much material we already have and not enough new stuff to entice a super fan like me. That is if what was on the last two sets is an indication.

5. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I tend to agree, however the books are spectacular

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, first of all, it won't be $60 if you're a smart shopper. Secondly, everyone has their own tolerance level for what constitutes "good value" in a purchase like this. I paid $53 for the Macca I deluxe set through Amazon, and I had saved Amazon gift certificates that reduced my bottom line considerably. Personally, if the Ram set is like the one we're discussing (remastered album, mono LP mix, stereo and mono "Another Day" single, Thrillington album, 5-8 outtakes, high-res download, DVD, book) -- it's a no-brainer. I don't have the DCC Ram (only the 1993 remaster), I only have a boot of the mono mix, I don't have ANY boots of Ram outtakes, and I don't own Thrillington in any form -- so really, I'm not paying $50+ just for those bonus tracks. The whole damn package is a must-have for me.

theMess likes this.
  7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

+ 1

Btw, those books are wonderful and worth every penny!

theMess likes this.
  8. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

I'm not sure what the fuss about Thrillington is. I'd be dissappoited if that was all that was a major part of the bonus. If it was the sole audio bonus in the book then that would be fine as it would save lots of ££ leaving the interesting stuff for the 2 disc set. The DVDs don't seem to be mega draws for me. I found the Band on the Run one quite boring. I still haven't watched more than a few minutes of the McCartney II DVD - the only book set I've bought so far in the series. As people have said though, the book is quite something.

9. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I see your point. I don't want to throw information that would not be checked. I was very surprised too when they told me that the song was recorded in NYC and then completed in London. So that's something we have to check TOGETHER, sharing information. That's my contribution, I'm open to hear opinions and other things that could even say the opposite.
    :)
    Luca

theMess likes this.
  10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I believe Ram was taped at The CBS Studios on East 52nd Street between Park & Madison. I work a few blocks from there. I remember when it was there.

11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Well I did say $50 to $60. :)

If it's worth it to you great. I know how much you like Paul. For me it's got to have something pretty special besides a book that I'll probably look at twice. I checked Amazon to see what a legit CD of Thrillington was going for; $45 used for the 2004 import. If they throw that in the mix it would be a pretty good deal for those that don't have it. Mine is the 1995 EMI Regal Zonophone issue from the UK.

:wave:

12. Claudio Dirani

Are you sure?

Here's more information on the subject.
    http://www.reevesaudio.com/vintagesessions.html

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

OK, I was being a little picky about the price. :angel: But I think the remastering alone is worth having, and the bonuses will determine whether I get the deluxes or not. For example, I was able to get the 2-CD + DVD for BOTR really cheap, and I already had the interview 25th anniversary CD, so I didn't get the deluxe set. For McCartney I decided I wanted the DVD, so I sprung for the deluxe, but for Macca II I really didn't feel I needed more than the 2-CD set. I don't feel "locked in" to buying all the deluxe sets, just to keep a complete collection. If they keep the quality (and quantity) up, I'll go for the deluxes, because they ARE gorgeous and I think worth the money.

14. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

My favorite post Beatles McCartney album....

I first heard Monkberry Moon Delight on The Sequence BBC radio show in the early 70s, they played a lot of album music on that show that was not being played on pop radio. I've luved Ram ever since. I have the regular Capitol CD, a deluxe set would be interesting, let's hope the mastering is as good as the Beatles reissues.
    Regards, Trevor.

15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I'm waiting for etcetera to chime in with some inside news :)

16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Personally, I will buy all of the deluxe sets.

Band On The Run was probably the least value for money for me, as I already had the 25th Anniversary CD, so I paid about £50 extra just for the book.

Still, the deluxe sets are things of beauty and I never thought McCaartney solo albums would receive this treatment. I want them all. I need them all!!

The only negative is the packaging of the discs. Most of mine were scuffed from new, though all play fine.

17. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I have to agree with Luca on this one, and then I'll return to Lurkerland. 'I Lie Around' was recorded during the Ram sessions. The sound effects were recorded in mid-November 1972 and the track was mixed at A.I.R. in mid-December 1972. It was promptly added to the reel of finished mixes and included on the acetates cut of the two-LP version of Red Rose Speedway.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
  18. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Doesn't Denny L sing quite a bit of 'I Lie Around'?

19. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

His/her 'inside' news has not been very accurate!

20. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Yeah...I can believe a bed track was done during 'Ram', but that is Denny doing the lead vocal, and it sure sounds like Henry M. doing the lead guitar...so I would say there were a whole more than sfx overdubs and mixing that were done later.

21. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

There's no doubt that the track was overdubbed. Although it's unfortunate from a historian's point of view, it's a reality that overdubs on to a sixteen-track tape (or any work that did not create a new multi-track or mix tape) were not documented like the early Beatles' sessions at E.M.I.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

theMess likes this.
  22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Sessions were started in Studio B on East 52nd street (same place where George had some sessions with Dylan). Check Eight Arms To Hold You book.
    Looking at the color picture of Paul & Linda on the Reeves site, the top of the door states Columbia recording Studios which does not seem to be over the doorway of the 30th st Church studios but was definitely over the East 52nd st studio. I walked by it many times.

23. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Do you have the line up of the 2 LP RRS? I don't remember even hearing of an acetate of it.

24. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Duh!! Should have tried Wikipedia!

Side one
    1."Big Barn Bed"
    2."My Love"
    3."When The Night"
    4."Single Pigeon"

Side two
    1."Tragedy"
    2."Mama's Little Girl"
    3."Loup (1st Indian On The Moon)"