McCartney "Ram" reissue news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rarediscs, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's kind of what I'm expecting, and I'd be very happy with this. :thumbsup:

theMess likes this.
  2. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Also I LIE AROUND was recorded during RAM and then overdubbed in London. I would like to hear that first version...

theMess likes this.
  3. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Where did this bit of info come from Luca?

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

If I am interpreting the above idea correctly, I really don't think they would release Thrillington as part of a DVD.

5. Nice update. Looking forward it.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just listened to the 2003 mix of "A Love For You" on MPL's site http://www.mplcommunications.com/search.php and I really like it. In fact, I like it more than the Cold Cuts mixes. I mean, I wouldn't mind getting the 2003 mix AND a more vintage mix on this Ram reissue (if we even get this song). Either one is fine. I love how he kept this song sounding like it was recorded in '70/'71. He did just as well with "Mama's Little Girl", but I do think he could have done better with "My Carnival". Sorry for getting a bit off-topic at the end there. I just hope we get this song (A Love for You) in some fashion.

Edit: This is the third page in a row on this thread where my post has been at the top! :)

theMess likes this.
  7. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sure hope they release the undoctored version of "A Love For You" on the "Ram " reissue. I don't think they got it right on "The In Laws" soundtrack. For starters, the beginning chord strumming is partially cut off. I mean...how hard would it have been to start the song with the opening acoustic riff intact! There are many other discs floating around (i.e. "Cold Cuts") with the full beginning. Secondly, McCartney overdubbed all the chorus vocals and it's painfully obvious. You can hear a much older McCartney singing "I really do...I really will...I really have" in the choruses over the original vocal. The original sounded much better. The producer also botched it with that dumb discordant ending. The 1980 produced version had a repeating riff which sounded better. In fact, Laurence Juber's additions to the track (post "Ram") were pretty good--though the 2003 version cut most, if not all of them.

theMess likes this.
  8. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Ah yes, another reason for my dislike of David Kahne producing McCartney. The edits he did to that song was not to my liking.

theMess likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You're right in regards to the opening. It sounds like you come in a little late. The original opening would have been perfect. Older Paul joining hos younger self on the choruses is not as noticeable to me. All in all, the newer mix is superior to me. The problem with things like these unreleased songs with multiple mixes is that someone is always going to prefer one over another. Either one is great, but for this set, I'm changing my mind to a more vintage mix. Maybe we'll get both (though that's doubtful).

I like the new ending. :shh:

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just went into Audacity and edited the original opening onto the song. It flows seamlessly and sounds pretty darn good. YES! Not bad for a total novice. :)

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Much as I like the idea of getting an authentic contemporary mix of something like A Love For You, this poses two issues: firstly, where would one put the 2003 version? It would sound as out of place on Driving Rain or Chaos And Creation as it would on Ram. Secondly, I don't actually think the song warrants being issued in two versions. Heck, it wasn't even considered good enough to be released once in the first 30 years of its existence!

Personally, I'd be happy to have the 2003 version accepted as the definitive version and included on Ram using a better mastering.

12. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I did this back in '03 but too it a step further by adding back in the middle section, ending and replacing the acoustic guitar riff leading to the chorus with the original one. I enjoy all 5 mixes of this song but would prefer the original one gets a proper release one day.

13. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Do we have a release date for Ram yet?

14. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

No, was first speculated to be out in Dec 2011 and now April/May 2012. No official information yet.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I actually really like the new acoustic bit there. I like the old one, too, but upon first hearing the new one, I thought, "Wow, that's great."

When we got McCartney II, we got two vastly different versions of "Blue Sway". Maybe this will happen with this song. I'm not counting on it, though, because those versions of "Blue Sway" are much more different than any two mixes of "A Love for You".

theMess likes this.
  16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Hadn't thought of that. Maybe we'll get the 1986 Richard Niles version of "A Love For You"?

theMess likes this.
  17. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I did an interview with someone who was in the studio in NYC :righton:... that information will be on my book!

www.mccartney-recordings.com

Luca

18. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

The possibilities are exciting! I hope we know something concrete soon.

19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What songs were given this treatment?

20. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Hope it's not Seiwell. His memory was getting foggy when I spoke with him back in '97. He couldn't even recall the song "Best Friend" after I played it for him and this was a song he was performing night after night in the Summer of '72. I spoke with him before him and Paul 'made up' though so he still had a bit of an axe to grind and wasn't holding back on his personal opinions about those times. So maybe that was clouding his memory.

21. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Richard has said he worked on 14 songs and that's exactly the amount on the 1986 Cold Cuts configuration. But I believe he also worked on the two "Linda" cover songs so maybe it was 12 Cols Cuts songs and the 2 covers...

22. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a VERY hard time believing this. For starters, there is a noticeable difference in the sound of the instruments and the way they were recorded when you compare Paul's 1971 and 1973 recordings. This just sounds like a load of bull to me. In addition, someone close to Paul's camp had access to session tapes from "Ram" and that's where many boots have come from which include lots of interesting titles in excellent quality. What would be the reason an early version of "I Lie Around" was not found by bootleggers. Finally, Paul didn't copyright the song until 1973 which is not the case for many songs he wrote earlier and took several years to release.

I understand that you are writing a book and you want to put some interesting and NEW info in it...but PLEASE check your sources...TWICE. Believe me...Beatles fans know their stuff and will come down hard on information that is suspect. Many people who were even there (including Paul) often get dates, sessions and related info wrong time after time.

23. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Actually, it's more of a jam. A tad of it was turnet into another song: Giddy.

24. Claudio Dirani

Former 30th Street CBS studio

Here's yours truly in front of the extinct studio where the bulk of Ram was taped. Taken January 12, 2012.

Attached Files:

theMess likes this.
  25. Claudio Dirani

another

30th street CBS studio (pic 2)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.