McCartney "Ram" Reissue News (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

To be clear, the two bonus tracks are:

Eat At Home/Smile Away
    Uncle Albert Jam

Correct?

2. OK. Great!

3. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Just got back from lunch and found that my "RAM" Deluxe box set from Amazon was waiting for me at the door along with - huge shocker! - the mono "RAM" lp I ordered from Topspin!!! I have NEVER received a Topspin order on the day of release - and it was in perfect condition! That's a huge step in the right direction from them.

I never got a shipping email form Topspin so those who ordered from them may have a surprise when they get home.

Both my box set and Lp looked great - no problems, packed well. Can't wait to look through and listen to them tonight!

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

4. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

Anyone think that Oh Woman, Oh Why now fades a tad earlier than before?

Chris

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Until news of the remaster, I'd never listened to RAM. I have an LP on Columbia that I'd never listened to, and decided to check it out, and I'm glad I did. It's a cool album.

Today I picked up the 2-CD Special Edition at Best Buy. I saw the box set there but really I had no big interest in THRILLINGTON or the mono version. I've heard the mono on YouTube, and while it's got some interesting differences, they weren't enough to warrant a hundred bucks on a box set.

I was even torn between the simple single-disc set and the 2-disc, as I really just wanted the album. But I weighed the pros and cons and came away with the 2-disc that was on sale for $14.99 with a list of $16.99. The single disc was priced at $9.99.

So far I've just listened in the car with the A/C going full tilt on this warm Central Florida day and it sounds fine. More critical listening later, comparing it to the Columbia LP and the WINGSPAN set.

Harry

6. ericscho

ericscho Forum Resident

Downloaded my HiRez files today. The album sounds truly wonderful.

Unfortunately the whole thing had to be downloaded in several zip files containing .wav files, that I converted to flac and all copied into one directory. A bit more cumbersome than it had to be. And no metadata, so I had to add that myself using mp3tag...

Despite that it's well worth the money in my opinion. A pdf with some artwork would have been a nice gesture though.

7. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Thinking about getting the Ram mono LP. Anyone know where this one was pressed?

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's why you should slice open the opening side only to slide the record out, leaving original shrink with stickers, etc. in place. At least that's what I always did when I used to buy vinyl over 20+ years ago...;)

9. K.K. Bing

K.K. Bing Forum Resident

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337715530.767778.jpg

Just got my boxset and I've a question about the (beautiful) book.
    The back of it (see picture) looks like it's glued together and has no real protection.
    It looks and feels a bit fragile.
    Do I have a misprint or is this the design as it was meant to be?

10. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I believe that binding is as intended.

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Does the vinyl mono release include a card for a download also? :confused:

12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I can't get over how good 'Ram' sounds in mono. Maybe a bit strange for a 70's album which has a more than proper stereo mix, but at times this mono mix is more than a curiosity. The vocal on 'Monkberry Moon Delight' is sounding even moreā€¦ urgent. Dry on the verses in the stereo version, tasteful reverb on the mono. A very nice twist. If this is sourced from tape, then it was a great sounding tape.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

14. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Omg!!

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Its here - Woohooo! There goes the rest of my work day.... :D

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

If I'm not mistaken, HDtracks offers FLAC files with tags along with full artwork or at least the cover. Should've waited an extra day and get it through HDtracks instead. Having said that, the HI-RES does sound fabulous. Might retire my DCC.

17. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Other than the outtakes disc, I didn't think the mastering was great. All the gold Hoffman Momac discs were the best.:)

18. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Mine didn't

19. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

20. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

There's photos of the mono tape boxes in the book that comes with the Deluxe box set so I'm sure they still have the tapes. The mono must certainly be from the tape in the photos.

LOVE the sound of this set so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. crossroads69

22. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

23. crossroads69

Can someone post the download page link for the hi-res files? I think I just have the wrong product page (deluxe). If I can get the right product page, I should be able to download the 24/96 files with my account ID.

The download link page for the deluxe download is http://store.paulmccartney.com/ram/downloads.php

Need the link for the hi-res files! Thanks

24. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

+1 here too.

Tried again, but now I'm told "the number of redemptions for this code has been exceeded".

Sigh.

25. crossroads69

I don't get how Topspin can get this wrong multiple times! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.