McCartney "Ram" Reissue News (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ...but he wants to be Paul's FRIEND now and play with him when Bruce does, too.:D

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

He doesn't WANT to remember what he wrote.

I remember reading that review in the mid 70s after getting this album.. and thinking WTF??? I probably had a handful of Wings/McCartney albums at the time (including Band on The Run)and this one (RAM) quickly went to the top of my favorites. I read that review (a few years after the fact) and remember that it reeked of bias. I remember being somewhat bothered by it only because it really didn't seem to be about the music or if so only superficially. I'm glad that 40+ years later the album, and the review, are being viewed in a different light.

3. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I wasn't planning to get this for a while, but a few well-timed Barnes & Noble gift cards (thanks Mom!) convinced me otherwise. It arrived today, and I must admit it's pretty cool, although I still wish Brung to Ewe By had been included in full on the mono disc just for completeness' sake. As far as the overall package goes, it's definitely excessive and overly expensive, and I really hope this is a special case and not an indication of future Archive releases...but I'm kidding myself if I say I wouldn't buy every album like this. The binding of the paperback book in particular is troubling; it feels like it's bound to fall apart, no pun intended.

Anyway, can't wait to dive into it...it's my favorite solo Beatle album after ATMP so I've been looking forward to this for years.

4. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Don't remind me that its 40 years ago - it makes me feel so old! 2 of the earliest songs i can remember from my long ago childhood were Another Day and Uncle Albert (I was 10 when these came out) - I must have had discerning taste even then :D because these songs stood amongst most everything else I heard in 1972. And because I didn't even know who the Beatles were, i was able to listen to Ram without any baggage. I didn't compare it to anything that came before it, just listened to it and enjoyed it. Still enjoy it. Still one of my favourites after 40 years ... duh ... do we have to keep saying 40 years???

5. Must have gotten Ode to a Koala Bear and Rainclouds confused. Anyway, hope they all make it onto their respective reissues, which I am sure they will.

6. I don't see this reissue as having any effect on the value of the DCC.

Besides, I buy music to listen to, not for its monetary value. There are plenty of investment vehicles that have much higher yields than a gold-plated CD! :)

7. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

This thread is weird. Usually the slightest bit of compression is enough to dismiss a new remaster, but in this thread people are bending over backwards to defend it. A little limiting, no biggie...a little compression...that's not compression, it's just the peaks being patted with a soft pillow!

Not saying it's wrong (I don't have the new version), just that this line of thinking is unexpected around here.

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It came out last week so it doesn't matter that you pre-ordered it over 2 months ago. I ordered mine on March 17th and it came in perfect condition. See how useless that info is?

Not really.. It's like the Beatles 2009 remasters. There is a way to do things tastefully. It's not all black and white. It sounds a lot better to me than my previous copy and that's all I care about. Not seeing this "bending over backwards" you speak of, unless you count the guy claiming this new release is bright, which is ridiculous.

9. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Yeah right after posting I knew I'd get called out on that phrase. It's just that those Neat Pete waveforms seemed pretty straightforward -- '93 vs. 2012 -- same shot, same song, same size, only difference being the 2012 version looks a bit smashed.

But for the most part people just said that the pic was wrong or misleading, which is not the way it usually goes around here.

Again, I'm not saying the new one sounds bad, I don't own it!

10. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

What's more, some people seem to think my screenshots are somehow manipulated, inaccurate or misleading !
    The limiting on this CD was apparent to me within the first few seconds of listening, as was the harsh and over-bright EQ that's been applied. I'm sticking with the DCC.

11. peteneatneat

It's called denial.

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Senior Member

I don't think anyone is in denial actually, limiting has definitly been applied.

But it's hardly 'brickwalled'. Which is what some are claiming here.

13. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I'm digging through some old Rolling Stones and I believe, unless I missed something, that 4 word review belongs to Greil Marcus.

Although the convoluted review spills over several pages.

Different times, almost all the classics (Bridge Over Trouble Water, Let It Be) are given mediocre reviews.

Today (in Rolling Stone), a over produced, big budget effort from Britney Spears will get 4 stars and not a single negative comment.

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

NO ONE is arguing that the remaster hasn't been treated to limiting. But you didn't complain that it had been limited, you complained that it had been "brickwalled". There is a world of difference. This may seem picky but in a forum in which the minutae of production are pored over, you must expect that folks will take your comments at face value and be, well, picky :)

15. peteneatneat

I admit I may have used the wrong terminology. However there is nothing misleading about my screenshots.

16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I seriously doubt anything will beat the McCartney DCC discs now or in the future.
    Case closed.

17. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Useless info for whom?

18. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

What about the High Resolution files? I haven't read (nor heard them) anything about them yet.

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Since we're talking so much about dynamic range, etc. here, I noticed someone over at the DR database has updated the listings.

Interesting to note that "Kisses" has pretty nice DR! Then look at "Chaos..". Ouch!
    Also, the DCC McCartneys have the same DR as the 1st issue cds.
    And, as someone here stated, the hated 93 remasters, even though having no noise applied, don't look too bad on the DR scale.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=mccartney&sort=album&order=asc

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

You should hear the Hi-Rez version ;)

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

case closed on whether or not you have doubt? ok then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.