McCartney and Starbucks: it's a done deal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stan94, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Maybe they could have a piece of "flaming pie" to go with that cuppa joe! :D

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Killer! I'll take a Moccachino Venti with Splenda and the new McCartney CD please! Kent to Barista!

3. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

I wonder if this is a worldwide deal, ie he's left EMI in the UK as well.

Personally I don't care what record label he's on, but if it is the Kahne produced sessions that were in the 'can' when Chaos was released I'll give it a miss. I thought Driving Rain sucked big time.

Did I not read somewhere that Paul was considering releasing these Kahne produced sessions but was persuaded to press on with the Godrich material as they were looking more promising? A good decision I think as Chaos was excellent. Maybe not a good sign for things to come though...

Chris

4. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman New Member

After all the Chaos with Heather Mills the last couple years hopefully now Paul can enjoy a cup of Chamomile Tea!

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The fact that Chaos sold over 500,000 is pretty darn good if you ask me. Most bands or artists can't sell even close to that at this point.

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm not too excited about David Kahne being back on the producer credit for this album. While I didn't particularly like his sound on "Driving Rain", the bigger problem was the mediocre (in my opinion) songwriting on that album. So, I definitely think it's possible for this new album to be much better than "Driving Rain" if Paul picks out better compositions.

I wonder how much recent work has been done on this music, by recent I mean any post-Chaos recording. As I recall, there supposedly were several tracks recorded during the "Driving Rain" sessions that were leftover, and then Kahne produced some post-Driving Rain sessions as well.

I'm wondering if most or all of the tracks on this "new" McCartney album have been in the can for a few years and McCartney is presenting the album to Starbucks as a "new" album. Not that it would matter to Starbucks if the songs were recorded in 2006 or 2001/2002, etc.

I'm also wondering if this album might be getting a release right now, and utilizing tracks that might be several years old because Paul wants a new album to promote if he indeed is going to be touring later this year.

But ultimately I agree with others who have mentioned that it's probably a good thing (at least for McCartney fans) that we're already getting a new album. I'm just hoping it's better than "Driving Rain."

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

C'mon Lennon sold out the minute he put on the goofy matching suit.:rolleyes:

8. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Maybe there'll be a special edition of Wings Over Americano.

9. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

As long as it's not a butter pie. ;)

Come to think of it, this deal was destined to happen. Admiral Halsey meets First Mate Starbuck (brush up your Melville if you don't get that one).

10. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

How am I going to get this next album??:eek: :eek:

All we have here is Dunkin Donuts and others but not a Starbucks in sight of at least 100 miles or more!!!:realmad: :shake:

11. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

NEWSFLASH - I understand that Tim Horton's here in Canada is trying to sign up Rush, Nickelback and the Tragically Hip.

12. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Great: I can get a package of "wheat kings" with my coffee to go!:laugh:

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You can buy it at any of the traditional retailers that will also be selling the CD.

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

So, Ray Charles puts out a successful album for the Starbucks label, and it's considered savvy marketing, McCartney signs with the same label, and he's called a "sell-out." :confused:

As long as the album's good, what difference does it make. Plenty of cash has changed hands for McCartney's services in the past, how is this any different?

15. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

Major labels are dying a slow death. Hip hip hooray.

McCartney can reach more people via Starbucks then he could in the current state of the industry where you can find a very limited selection and very little catalog stock in the Best Buys and Walmarts of the world.

Years from now this industry will be studied for the way it collapsed in on itself... a perfect storm of greed, technology and corporate behemoths only interested in "shipping product".

Ding dong... the witch is dead.

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It'll be a sequel to Tug Of War, called Cup Of Joe!*

*Joe English makes a special appearance.....:laugh:

Evan

17. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

Yeah right. and starbucks is only doing this cause they love music.
    Awwwww. They're so nice..

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I predict they will be selling more CDs than coffee the first week of release.

19. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

This is a very smart business deal for Macca. No one knew about Chaos except his hard core fan base. Radio is so niche he can't get played, so how does he get exposure? Answer? Point of sale.

Don't be surprised if others follow suit very quickly. Even the Beatles will be fair game.

The average music fan goes online to buy music, or perhaps to Best Buy or Target. Retail music stores are dying. Speciality shops and alternate sales venue will be the way of the future.

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Frodis knows the shortest route to every Starbucks within a 50 mile radius, so this'll actually work out for me. :D

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

My fear is, despite Paul waxing eloquently about it, maybe he wasn't too keen on finally being told when something sucked, or told what to play, like Nigel did on Chaos. Hopefully it's not going to be a safe album.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Though, is their selection more limited than Starbucks'? How many titles does a Starbucks stock at one time -- ten? Twenty? They'll still need those conventional outlets to sell their CDs after their initial release, when newer titles crowd them out of the Starbucks stores.

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Good for Paul.

I see this as a positive move as Capitol/EMI have made a mess of his solo catalog. I'm hoping all the back catalog comes with the Starbucks deal.

Now if only they can get Ringo too. Mr. Ringo Starrbucks M.B.E. :D

24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Signing with the new Starbucks label isn't much different than signing with any other label at this point. Universal was once owned by Seagrams. Why should Sony be a record company. They were/are an electronics company. They made record players, but does that mean they knew anything about music? And when did Warner become the beacon of unfettered altruistic music making?

The only difference between the big four and Starbucks is that the music side of it is closer to the parent company. I don't see this as any better or worse than other big labels.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As much as we might like remasters of it all, I don't know if Paul should really relaunch all 20+ of his solo and Wings albums through the new label. That's a lot of music and even he feels it hasn't all stood the test of time. It might be a neat idea for him to do a new series of compilation albums that would go deeper than the singles and bring attention to the forgotten gems in his catalogue, without reminding people about all the half-baked stuff he's done as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.