McCartney and Starbucks: it's a done deal

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stan94, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member Thread Starter

Yep, coffee machine music with coffee table books...
    By the way, do they sell Starbucks CDs exclusively at Starbucks or can you get them at major music stores?

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

:righton:

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, that sucks. I liked Goderich's job on C and C.

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

When is an artist a sell-out? The first time he takes $ for his music I guess.

5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If signing a record deal makes him a sellout, I guess it was in 1961, when he signed to Polydor.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

How is signing a record deal being a sellout?:confused:

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Uh, in 1963? :confused: I really don't want to get into this tired debate one more time, but how on earth could Paul McCartney possibly be "selling out" by changing record companies, which, when you get right down to it, is what he's doing here? He's already one of the richest men in the United Kingdom, so I don't know how exactly he's "selling out." I tend to accept the theory that he wants the widest possible distribution for his music, which, like it or not, Starbucks seems more able to provide than Capitol/EMI at this particular moment in time.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Again: The announcement last week specified that Hear Music's CDs would also be available through traditional retailers.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Hmmm. Concord Records? I wonder if there will be a HiRez version released? Starbucks has done this in the past, although it was "just" stereo (Sheryl Crow, etc)

Seems like a good choice for a HiRez title.

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Doesn't he own the masters to his back catalog? If so, I'd think he'd almost have to.

Who knows, maybe we'll see another round of remasters shortly... :shrug:

11. rod

rod Senior Member

Why do I immediately think of Slim Whitman "was number one in England longer than Elvis and The Beatles"?

12. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

I think it was The Beatles 'Anthology' :)

13. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

How 'bout "Sgt Starbucks Only Coffee & Club Sandwich" :)

14. Bud Shaver

Bud Shaver New Member

And here's another clue for you all...the latte was tall.

Good for Paul...I think he will reach more of his fans this way.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Oh, right, "selling out" is akin to a decision an artist makes that YOU DON'T LIKE.

I had, happily, almost forgotten that idea.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

All of the hand-wringing over this album coming out on the Starbucks label seems to me to miss the point: we have another new McCartney album to look forward to, which is surely good news. Whether it comes out on Capitol, Starbucks, or Spinal Tap's Polymer Records is of secondary or even tertiary concern to me.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Of course it is, and I think at least half of us are getting that part.

The rest are still complaining about things like McCartney II or Press. :laugh:

18. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

;)

19. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Me too, but I like Kahne's production on DRIVING RAIN as well.

Ironically, I remember Paul saying that he disliked having his words to "A Day In The Life" featured in an ad for Maxwell House. I guess he developed a taste for Starbucks.

I'm looking forward to the new album.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

His production style isn't that great, but I will always hold a torch for the man who brought FISHBONE into my life. He co-wrote some their best songs, too.

21. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

This talk about "selling out" is ludicrous. We have thread upon thread about the music industry slowly dying and a major artist decides to leave one of the more "sickly" labels (EMI/Capitol) and try a new venture. Sounds pro-active to me. I didn't see mention of his back catalogue being part of this deal. I know it's been rumoured, but Billboard only mentioned the new album. If this was coming out on Capitol, I doubt it would be coming out in June either... a traditional SLOW time for music sales. Ron

22. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

You're correct. He never really had to do any solo music at all. He could have just sit back and collected his Beatles and songwriting royalties. He has obviously made music for the past 37 years because he wanted to, not to make money.

23. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

Signing with the Starbucks record label does not=endorsing Starbucks. I think they'd probably have to pay him quite a bit of money to get him to do that.

24. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

SOOO--
    Is this worldwide?
    How many albums?
    Cataloge?

25. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

I remember once that he had planned to come to Australia for nation-wide tour. A few weeks before he had to cancel supposedly out of respect for the
    victims of the Bali bombings, here Australians had died. It was later revealed that he cancelled because ticket sales were not up to his liking, a few million short or something. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.