Matt Monro - The Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

Have now ordered The Singers Singer with book and look forward to read and listen during the holidays.

Regarding the From Russia with Love upspeeded words, wouldn't it be likely that it was from the studio to control rooom, the pianist addressing the engineer, thus George Martin playing and commenting to Stuart Eltham? Otherwise he would be addressing Spence? Just a thought.

2. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The version with the book in the long box? That's not my remaster it's the original 2001 edition and contains mono mixes where it shouldn't and duets with Matt Jnr where it should have solo versions. Mine was the 2011 edition in the clam shell box. Stereo where it exists and correct versions throughout.

It's definitely from the studio floor for two reasons.
    1. It has studio ambiance on it and sounds nothing like the talk back microphone.
    2. Why would George speak to his engineer through talk back. If he was in the control room he would have spoken straight to him NOT through a talkback mic.

He and Johnnie were evidently trying different things out as they went along so worked together in the studio.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  3. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Sorry just re-read your original post. George was speaking to Stuart Eltham from the studio floor whilst working with Johnnie Spence. As I said before (and confirmed from surviving paperwork) they paid for Johnnie Spence to travel back to London specially for the session. They would not have done this and then have George play the part.

Spence wouldn't have had any say in running back the tape so wouldn't have been spoken to even if he were in the control room. George was a very hands on producer so it wouldn't have been unusual for him to go down to the studio in these cases so he could speak to Johnnie directly about different ideas.

4. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

5. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.