Matt Monro - The Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

Richard,

Is the previously-unreleased "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" the Bacharach/David song, or the Currie/Donegan "(It Looks Like) I'll Never Fall In Love Again"?

Thanks!

2. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

It's the Bacharach/David song.

Richard

3. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The Stereo album version is everywhere - including my new remaster on the forthcoming "Greatest". There is currently no Stereo version of the single version. There are no immediate plans to remix and issue it - but Michele and I are always working on bits and bobs including a 2nd volume of rare and unreleased material as there are a fair number of good recordings in the EMI vaults that are worthy of release - so the tape would be a good candidate.

According to Hans they used the earliest generaltion tapes they could find - the vast majority of which were 80's dubs! They could in many cases find no original 60's tapes. So yes third generation is the earliest there is - still sound great though don't they! Unless of course something has come to light in the meantime.

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

And the forthcoming "Greatest" is on its way from HMV where ironically the single disc cost the same as the 5 disc singles set!

I'm looking forward to the stereo From Russia With Love and Softly As I Leave You LP versions - and no doubt one or two other goodies.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I don't think we'll be sorry we got it. I think there's at least a dozen of songs that do not overlap with the box set.

I know Greatest is a tad more expensive but think of it this way, for about $50 we get 6 discs of superb material. Not too shabby in my view.

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

"The Singer's Singer Box set" has a stereo version of "From Russia With Love."

7. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

That is indeed correct. It's the Stereo version that (apart from the Singles and so i've now found out the John Barry Themeology) that is one every set.

The Greatest contains my new re-master.

Richard

In Memoriam

Mickie Monro: 19.07.33 – 25.02.10

Wife of the great Matt Monro who passed away earlier today.

8. oxenholme

9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Such Sad news RIP Mickie. My thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Sad news, indeed.

Chris

11. AudiophilePhil

My sincere condolence to the Monro family.

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

A disc jockey here used to play Matt Monro's Somewhere whenever he got the chance. So I pulled out disc 2 to listen to the this wonderful new re-mastering. It doesn't disappoint. Matt's interpretation and the arrangement build to a great climax. With that last chord, comes a sigh.

Written by Leonard Bernstein/Stephen Sondheim. Arranged and conducted by Johnny Spence. Produced by George Martin, recorded at Abbey Road.

13. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Just thought that I'd mention that I received my copy of Matt at the BBC in the post yesterday. I think that this will make for some nice Sunday morning listening and viewing. So glad that I have a region-free DVD player.

Cheers,
    Chris

14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for sharing! I was hesitant about that one but now I'm quite tempted.

15. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The DVD is region free anyway - PAL admittedly for those in NTSC land but definitely region free - I know I authored it!

Richard

16. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I really enjoyed both the CD and DVD. I know that it states that it's region free and PAL. My Philips DVD player has been set (by me) from a Region 1 setting to Region 0. I can put anything in it whether it says NTSC or PAL and it will play just fine on my NTSC set.

I think that one of the most interesting parts of the DVD was getting to see Matt just sit down and chat with Bob Langley on Saturday Night at the Mill. He comes off as a very down to Earth kind of guy. I especially got a chuckle about his story of playing in Greaseborough. His impression of the Yorkshire accent was pretty spot on. I have spent enough time visiting friends in Sheffield that I appreciate the sound quite a bit.

I must admit that I find the appearance on Cilla to be particularly cringe-worthy. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Chris

17. RogerCol84

RogerCol84 New Member

Cool, so the version of From Russia With Love heard at the end of the movie is the mono single version? I had assumed that the alternate vocal was film-only and there was no master - like some of those Monkees TV show mixes. They should have included this on the movie soundtrack remaster.

I might pick this collection up. I've never heard anything else by Matt Monro, and singles collections always appeal to me.

18. oxenholme

I was amazed by the number of excellent tracks on this compilation that I simply hadn't heard before, and a lot more that I'd forgotten about.

Walk Away turns out to be a remarkable track - one that I keep on playing. It might as well be a completely different song to the (I think Austrian) Eurovision original.

19. Do it. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

This is a real labour of love and one of the greatest bargains of the whole CD era.

We should all be very grateful to Matt's Estate and everyone involved in the release of this set.

Best Wishes
    David

20. AudiophilePhil

Get also Matt Monro's "The Singer's Singer" Box set together with this Single set. You won't be disappointed.

21. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Although the Singer Singer box set is now deleted.

Richard

22. dale 88

Another yes vote here. You will find some favorites on it. I also love the sound, thank you Richard Moore, and I keep listening to things again at different volume levels.

I would get the Singles Collection first. The OP Singer's Singer box set could be put on a watch list.

23. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

... sings Hoagy Carmichael

Bumping this thread in honour of a new Matt Monro collection - Words and Music, released on 7 February. A four disc set, three of the discs are Michelle Monro reading the biography of her father published last year. Excitingly, the fourth disc is a re-release of the famous album of Hoagy Carmichael compositions - including, it seems, a couple of alternate takes. Some details are here (not that I've bought from HMV on-line before).

Has Richard been involved in the mastering here? I hope so. I'm certainly looking forward to the release of this album.

24. dale 88

Hello Ian,
    Thanks for letting us know of this release. As I have posted, the Hoagy Carmichael album is one of my favorites. I too hope it has a good remastering. The album has a lot going for it -- the interpretations, the quality of the voice at that time, the arrangements, and the sound of the original recording. The cost looks like it will be reasonable for us over here.

25. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

Hi, Dale - you're welcome. I'm pleased about this particular release, too -haven't heard the album before. I'm sure the quality will be first rate. Will probably listen to the talking book in the car, though - the long drive to work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.