Matt Monro - The Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

No, they didn't use the multi for the hi def remasters. Believe me, MGM are just as annoyed that they don't have the tape (Barry's soundtrack multi's were in the same batch of tapes so couldn't be utilized either)

MGM UK, MGM USA and the Bond Vault have all bee checked. The tapes were supposedly picked up however nobody seems to be able to tell me by whom! I have asked the EMI Legal dept to look into it but they seem far to busy with other things to look (As far as they are concerned they are not the copyright holders or owners of the tapes so don't see it as their problem - despite the fact they have the soundtrack license)

Richard

2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The Neglect, lack of care & respect that EMI and others record companies seem to have for an artists catalogue never seems to amaze me, they should be chasing these things like bloodhounds rather than letting them slide into oblivion, its our musical heritage we are talking about here and the amount of money they have made out of us over the years gives them a responsibilty to look after an artists work, for the artist, publiic and musical history's sake.

As a fan hearing about this neglect is sickening, but for someone like Richard and especially Michele (being Matt's Daughter) I can only imagine how bad it must make you feel.

3. Just get them - you won't be disappointed.

Best Wishes
    David

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Is "Matt Monro Live In Manila" available on CD too?

5. AudiophilePhil

Richard, you worked on the reissue of the Beatles Hamburg sessions with Tony Sheridan.
    Which one you became involved in, the Bear Family reissue or the Polydor deluxe reissue of the same material?

6. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

The Mono hasn't appeared anywhere AFAIK apart from the original single and a compilation called "Hits of Yesterday" from 1965. Wasn't the Columbia recording the John Barry version?

I'm happy to be proved wrong though!

Richard

7. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I've always wondered about why it made its way to a Columbia CD:
    http://www.amazon.com/Themeology-Best-John-Barry/dp/B000025OLO/
    So, are there actually three different recordings? The recording on this CD is clearly an alternate take. I have thus assumed that it is the same version as used in the movie and on the single.

I realize this is leading a bit off-topic, but do you happen to know if the tapes that were misplaced included the entire FRWL recording session, or just a multi-track of the album master? If the former is the case, it would be sensational if it would turn up again, because all of the Bond masters up to "Thunderball" are currently considered as being lost...

8. Got this fine set in the post today from Amazon for the princely sum of £8 delivered.

How nice to put the first CD in and not have to reach for the volume control ! Why can't all new release CDs sound like this? If they did sound like this I would buy heaps more new CDs.

Only listened to the first disc so far but I am loving it. Many thanks Richard for all your hard work.

In fact despite not usually buying MOR I think I might get on an easy listening kick. Sitting here before my tea with a nice glass of red and Matt playing is bliss!

9. knoppy

knoppy Forum Resident

just recieved my matt monro picked a few tracks at random. ''SMOOTH, VERY SMOOTH'' all the detail on recordings is great, very glad i made the investment.:edthumbs:

10. AudiophilePhil

I already ordered mine from Amazon.uk.
    Can't wait to listen and compare them to another Matt Monro's box set "The Singer's Singer."

11. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

12. Just received my copy from Amazon UK. Unfortunately it has to be returned as it had two copies of disc 1 and no disc 2. Of course, Amazon wants the thing returned. Anyone get one with two disc 2's? :shake: Pain in the ***.

13. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Just picked up the Amazon package containing my copy at the post office at lunchtime. Looking forward to doing some listening this evening. :)

Cheers,
    Chris

14. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Mine's also on it's way from Amazon.co.uk, and your post makes me nervous. Sorry to hear you got two disc #1s. :( That's odd. It sounds like a manufacturing issue out of the hands of Amazon. Still, the product is technically defective so how did Amazon.co.uk handle the overseas return? I'm hoping they provided a shipping label to cover the cost of mailing. If not, they should have. Let me know!

15. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I've had that issue before. They provide you with a shipping label and dispatch a new copy. I think they actually dispatch before you return it which is handy, particularly if you are overseas.

16. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I'm just making my way through the first disc now. Really wonderful stuff... and wonderful sound, as well! Certainly lots of good stuff to listen to during the week. :)

I'll definitely be checking out some more of Matt's material soon. I noticed that the BBC disc also includes a DVD with many performances from British TV. There is also a stand-alone DVD listed at Amazon UK. Is there much (or any) duplication of the material included on these DVDs?

My compilments to Richard for a job well done! :righton: I'm really looking forward to hearing more great sounding Matt Monro material soon.

Cheers,
    Chris

17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

There are Several DVD's on the market

The BBC set contains only BBC footage and none (apart from one clip) is available elsewhere.

There is also a set called Ultimate Performer from Odeon Entertainment which includes ITV material and a restored version of a TV concert from Australia available elsewhere as "An Evening with Matt Monro" This set also includes a CD of a concert in Manila 1966 and is very good value for money.

There is also a DVD called A Portrait of Matt Monro which is a 90 Minute documentary about his life including a number of full performances and Matt at the Movies a DVD which features Matt's only feature film "Satan's Harvest" with George Montgomery (a non singing role) and a 30 minute film called "Go Go with Matt Monro"

For more information on what is available see here:

http://www.mattmonro.com/cds.html

Richard

18. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Thanks for the info about the DVDs, Richard. My list grows ever longer... not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

I've only had a chance to listen to the first disc of the singles set in its entirety so far. Excellent stuff, indeed. Once the George Martin produced tracks make an appearance, the sound is simply wonderful.

Cheers,
    Chris

19. Amazon UK has shipped my replacement copy. I followed their online return set up and printed up a return address form. After I shipped the box back, I was going to be credited the amount of return shipping. It's not Amazon's fault for the disc screw up, the box was shrink wrapped. More than likely they'll end up getting another copy back, the one with two disc two's and no disc one. :sigh: It's strange because all the discs have different colored covers. You'd think somone would notice two black discs the same. BTW, what color is the second disc? Anyway, hope to have the new one next week. Hopefully with all the right discs.

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

It is a reproduction of a yellow and orange swirl Capitol 45.
    MattMonroDisc2 (2).jpg

My order from HMV.com arrived last week. I am really enjoying this collection and the sound:thumbsup:

21. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

My copy arrived today in good shape, save for a few fingerprint smudges on the data sides of a few of the discs that were easily wiped clean. I say good versus excellent shape because disc five has some weird marks near the outer edge of the data side of the disc that didn't wipe off with a soft cloth. They look kind of like glue residue and aren't scratches in the plastic.

I haven't tested the disc to see if the marks affect playback, but the collector in me wants to exchange the set for a new one. Still, I can't help wondering if I'm being a bit too picky and if it's worth the mild inconvenience of going through the returns process for one potentially problematic disc. Hmmm.

22. My set must have been a Monday morning packaging job. :D

23. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Really enjoyed the excellent production on the second disc last night. Now it's on to disc three tonight.

BTW - I stopped at a local haunt and was checking through the male vocal LPs and found a couple of Matt Monro albums. One was not in great shape but, I did pick up at copy of Love is the Same Anywhere on Canadian Capitol (mono, 1961). I'm not sure if this is the same as the UK release on Parlophone. It has a photo of Matt leaning against a globe on the cover.

The notes on the back cover appear to be unique for Canada as part of them read: "My Kind of Girl" and "Why Not Now" were singles that brought Matt Monro to the attention of Canadian record buyers.

Cool! :)

Cheers,
    Chris

24. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Richard,many thanks for an A1 job on this set!.

:edthumbs:

25. AudiophilePhil

I just got my copy from Amazon UK.

I played Disc 1 and 2 but when I was about to play Disc 3, it won't play. My CD player produces some noise everytime I insert Disc 3. I have no problem with Disc 4 and 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.