Matt Monro - The Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Yes, the value is second to none! In the United States, this import collection is available on Amazon.com for something like $45 - a bargain at $9 a disc, however in the United Kingdom at Amazon.co.uk, the set costs around $17 WITH shipping to North America! That's just over $3 a disc! Incredible!!! I can't wait to hear this set!

I love that Matt didn't cover a lot of songs from the American jazz songbook, and instead chose to record mostly "new" compositions done in a light vocal jazz, easy listening style. So much music to discover! :)

2. Once you've worked your way through this set, there is more! There are a number of other releases that are worthy of your interest.

Best Wishes
    David

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

1962 Parlophone MATT MONRO SINGS HOAGY CARMICHAEL

Glad to hear that album will finally have a new release. A few of its songs have shown up in compilations, but with compromised sound in my opinion. Until that comes out, there is another CD version that has great sound -- if you ever see it in the used bins or internet sites. It is a 2CD 1991 EMI Music for Pleasure: MATT MONRO SINGS; CD-DL 1072. "All Tracks Digitally Remastered At Abbey Road Studios"

I saw it recommended somewhere for the sound. I think I paid a premium of around 40 dollars, but I already know I have gotten my money's worth. It has the whole album of Matt Monro Sings Hoagy Carmichael in it, along with 24 other songs. The sound is wonderful, including the opening track I Have Dreamed on which the sound and the performance are super.

This is the cover.
    [​IMG]

Ignore the 2CD set at the bottom because it is not the same album even though it is the same title -- because it has the early Decca sides and a live Australian performance.
    [​IMG]

4. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Hi guys,

Having been told about this post by Hodgo I thought I ought to come over and have a look.

Thanks for the kind comments. Fingers crossed it will get good press reviews and sells a few copies!

Couple of quick points. Matt Monro Sings (EMI) consists of 2 full original albums and bonus tracks. The Hoagy Carmicheal and 'I Have Dreamed'. This is not a bad transfer for something 20 years old, but it could be improved upon (especially if I can access a tape that may have earlier generation versions of some tracks) however this will have to wait as the project may well not happen until next year.

The Singer's Singer set. Whilst it is a good selection of material does suffer in two ways
    1. Some tracks are ruined by over zealous noise reduction.
    2. Most of the Capitol tracks are in Mono.

Another quick plug:-

Matt's Daughter Michele has written her father's biography. The Special Edition (which includes a CD of rare material) also includes a second book written by Michele and I and includes my annotated session listings for ALL known Matt Monro recordings.

http://www.mattmonro.com/Special Edition.html

Enjoy

Richard Moore

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Great to see you here Richard, engineers like yourself who treat the music with such loving care are like gold dust in this modern age, you've done a fabulous job with all the recent Matt Monro releases...THANK YOU!! :)

6. Richard - it is fantastic that you are able to post here and - hopefully - see the depth of interest in both Matt's legacy and the way in which you and the estate are treating said legacy with such respect - respect both for the work itself and Matt's fanbase.

I hope that you will continue to be able to be involved here.

As I posted earlier, I haven't had time yet to fully come to terms with this release but - again as I have said earlier - it is a stunning release.

Everyone involved in making this happen should be immensely proud of their achievements. (If only others were able to follow your lead).

Richard - please thank Michelle on our behalf and a huge thank you to you for your involvement in this.

Best Wishes
    David

7. Currently on disc 3 of 5 and loving it.

Any thoughts on what the standout tracks are from anyone?

Best Wishes
    David

8. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

It sounds like it's certainly going to get a few sales around here. I must say that I was shocked by the amount of tracks on the compilation that were taken from vinyl dubs in the past.

I'm a bit annoyed though to see that the multitrack from From Russia With Love has gone missing - the album version is one of my favourite Monro tracks.

I wasn't aware of the existence of the single version until I looked at your notes. It would have been interesting to compare and contrast stereo versions of those two.

9. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

I'll chip in - despite being somewhat biased here.

Disc 1 - Why Not Now - Such a simple song, such a stunning arrangement! and All of the Big Band tracks

Disc 2 - By The Way. - Matt and the band had a ball at this session (I've heard the tape!) - recorded at the tail end of a Hoagy Carmichael session.
    Around The World - Stonking Buddy Bregman arrangement.
    How Do You Do - There's something just so attractive about this song even though it's not very complex. Written by Comics Mike and Bernie Winters

Actually songs written by comics are not rare here - Several are written by John Junkin ('Shake' from a Hard Days Night)

Disc 3 - Other People, Honey On the Vine, The Lady Smiles, Fourth Blue Monday - Love the Capitol era

Disc 4 - All of a Sudden, On Days Like These, We're Gonna Change The World, Just a Heartbreak Ago & Isn't It A Pity.

Disc 5 - Sarah's Coming Home, If I Never Sing Another Song (my all time favourite Monro recording)

Richard

10. Thanks Richard - hope you stick around here.

I'll list mine when I've finished going through all 5 discs.

Best Wishes
    David

11. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Re: From Russia.

The multi (where ever it currently is!) consists of one track of the orchestra, one of the wound up tack piano and TWO vocals One was used on the film and the single, the other was used for the Stereo mix. This is the only occasion prior to the early 70's that Matt recorded an alternate vocal on a multi-track.

I shall be at Michele's book launch on Wednesday and hope to speak to my contact at Hayes who will also be there and see if he will follow up a theory of mine about the tapes whereabouts!

Richard

12. Hope the book launch goes well!

Best Wishes
    David

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Richard, is there a possibility that we will be getting high-rez Matt Monro compilation in the future?

14. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

It would be brilliant if we could, but SACD etc are almost dead in the UK so it's unlikely at the moment i'm afraid.

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good luck with this comp. I can see a lot of work went into it. Hope it does well for you and that there will be more in the pipeline.

16. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

From you Mr H. that means a lot.

Many thanks

Richard

17. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

It's funny that I just dialed up the original Italian Job movie last night to watch the famous chase scene. I always run the opening theme "Days Like These". Great song!!!

18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Richard, very glad you're here, and thanks in advance for all the hard work you put into this. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of this collection and look forward to the deluxe biography with the extra volume of session annotations.

19. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Every time that I'm in England, I always see Matt Monro CDs in the bins at places like HMV and Virgin. I've always wanted to pick up something but never knew where to start. This collection seems like the ideal place. So, I've ordered it from Amazon UK. What a deal! When the VAT is subtracted, the price is only £7.64 (approx. $13.15Cdn).

How is this set packaged? Is it in a long-box with a booklet or is it five CDs in jewel cases? Can anybody with the set post a photo?

Really looking forward to making my way through this wonderful looking set! :)

Cheers,
    Chris

20. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

A couple of hastily taken shots.

5 CD's in a Jewel Case with 16 page booklet.

Richard

Attached Files:

21. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Very nice! :righton: Thanks for posting the photos, Richard. I'm really looking forward to hearing this set.

Also, many thanks for your contributions to this thread. Hopefully you can keep us up to date with the progress on future projects.

Cheers,
    Chris

22. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Wow. That is the most creative use of a fatboy CD case (for storing CDs) I've ever seen! The flipper tray at the back worries me, though, and I'm concerned how well the packaging will survive its maiden voyage across the Atlantic to the U.S. Eeek!

I do love the LP reproduction labels on the CDs and how each one is different! Fantastic! :righton: This set just gets better and better!

23. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

My copy is winging its way over from the UK, and I really can't wait! On every trip I've taken to London, I've made it a point to pick up a Matt Monro CD...it's a crime that he's so woefully unrecognized over here. That said, I'm glad that there's a fairly regular stream of Matt releases from our British friends...this one really looks to be a keeper, and as has been pointed out on this thread, an incredible bargain, too! After listening, I'm sure I'll be compelled to finally pick up MATT AT THE BBC and LIVE IN AUSTRALIA...

Joe

24. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for the photos. This looks really nice! I was already afraid that we would be getting awful paper sleeves. Not so - many thanks!

I'm sure you know that the mono FRWL has been released on CD by Columbia. Could it be that the master has been misplaced during the production of the "new" high-def Bond re-masters?

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've finally worked my through all 5 CD's now and I have to say this collection is stunning in few ways, the quality of the songs and Matt's performances are superb, the sound quality and the mastering by Richard is quite simply outstanding, with this set putting similar collections by other artists to shame, the low price (less than many single CD's), 5 jam packed discs and wonderful sound quality make it outstanding. Well done Michele, Richard & EMI!!! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.