Matt Monro - The Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oxenholme, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Just got my Copy through the post this morning from HMV, what a bargain 4 CD's for £8.99 inc P&P with fabulous sound, Well done Richard Moore on the remastering front. This is a fabulous collection and for those asking NO copy protection.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thank you for replying in regards to this new set not having that dreaded EMI "copy protection", now I will have to order this one!

Chris C

3. hodgo

Got it wrong it's even better Value..... This is a 5 CD Set

4. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Mine arrived this morning. Will have to wait till later to listen, though.

5. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

The release date on amazon is now Jan 25TH. I guess it thus takes a few days until my copy gets shipped. At this price, this is really a steal!

6. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

Sound quality is indeed superb! Those early tracks are particularly impressive.

I think everybody will be well pleased with the mastering of this set.

7. hodgo

Yes It's a Shame and a tragedy that Richard Moore who remastered & restored this set along with other MM releases recently, can't seem to find anyone else within the Record industry who's willing to give him a chance, more folks like Richard are what's needed in this industry as he really cares about what he does.

regarding finding work for other artists & record companies hard to come by here are some comments taken from the 1st link below....

What are your hopes and ambitions for the future?

Other than winning the lottery you mean? What I’d like to get is some decent recognition from people within the record companies – and therefore a bit more work!

I have had some very good responses to my restoration work from the public, but never hear anything from those in the business, which is quite frustrating. I’m quite a self effacing guy, I don’t push myself on people (which perhaps is part of my problem) but you’d have thought that the restoration work (particularly that on ‘Matt Sings Nelson Swings’ ‘Yesterday – The Legendary Manila Concert’ and ‘Live In Australia’) might have been noticed!

Perhaps the other thing I’d like to do is put together some more interesting releases. I’ve found from looking into Matt’s recording history that there is some interesting stuff to be found hidden away in archives that is never even noticed because nobody is interested in digging deep enough!

Without going in to a diatribe, I often feel that certain record companies don’t give the general public enough credit. After all there are only so many times you can buy the hits. Just look at the sales of Rare Monro, I’m sure similar sets could be put together for other artists too.

But besides being happy and healthy, I’d like to keep working with Michele and her family to bring you some more fabulous recordings by Matt Monro

http://www.mattmonro.com/spotlight_december_2008_Richard Moore.html

http://mattmonroforum.emicatalogue.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2741

8. hodgo

9. oxenholme

10. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I'll leave some feedback as soon as I've received the set. These Monro releases are a real bless - and just show that really everything is possible if artists/their estate and record labels work together properly. Not too many years ago, there wasn't much Monro on CD - beside an endless stream of poorly produced compilation albums...

11. hodgo

Yes the present situation is down to Michele Monro really pressing EMI, not only to release the product but do it right & source it from the master tapes. According to comments from her & Richard Moore on the MM website, there's a new single CD release "The Greatest" to acompany this 5 CD set, EMI wanted to source the songs for this from Vinyl needle drops already in the vaults & used on every Best of compilation since 1980's "Heartbreakers" Collection. Apparently it's standard practice for EMI to source material this way from existing releases and compilations rather than go back to the master tapes, It's a disgrace!!! :realmad:

12. oxenholme

I've ordered "The Greatest" as well - it contains the stereo LP versions of Softly As I Leave You and From Russia With Love among other goodies.

It too is £8.99 from HMV. Hopefully it will be with me towards the end of next week.

13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

From what I'm reading, this does indeed seem like a model for how artists' estates should handle their catalogues. I can't wait to get this set and the books coming out next month.

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

+5
    even though I already have the previous box set "The Singer's Singer".

I some countries, Matt Monro was as huge as Frank Sinatra in popularity.
    In the Philipiines where I grew up, his popularity was as huge as the Beatles.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It hasn't been released yet. Different sites mention different release dates, February 1 on the HMV site and March 1 on Amazon U.K.

16. AudiophilePhil

"The Singer's Singer" 4-CD set does not include "For Mama" and that's the reason for buying this 5-CD set aside from the bargain price.

17. My set arrived in the mail this morning - haven't had chance to do any listening yet but based on what I've read I'm looking forward to it and doubt that I'll be disappointed.

This must be one of the bargains of the year. 5 Discs plus postage & packing for under ten pounds.!!! The set looks very attractive too.

Well done to Michelle and the estate. If only others would follow suit.

Best Wishes
    David

18. AudiophilePhil

I like the vintage tube sound of Matt Monro. Like the early Beatles recordings, they make my stereo sound gorgeous.

19. AudiophilePhil

Matt Monro: The Singer's Singer (2001) -sounds very good to my ears. This 4-CD set includes some singles and album tracks.

Attached Files:

20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Wow! Matt Monro...what a surprise! I seem to recall hearing his name mentioned before - possibly on a compilation album or two I have. Maybe not. Either way, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. The price for 5 CDs can't be beat, even with all the bossa nova stuff I recently ordered. I mean, Matt Monro's music sounds so familiar yet entirely new at the same time.

I hear a lot of Frank Sinatra in Matt's voice, but I think that's just a coincidence. Sinatra's voice (fond of it as I am) got less flexible in the 60s when Monro was coming into his own, it seems. You can almost trace the effects of time and lifestyle on Sinatra's voice through the decades. How sad. But Matt, on the other hand, seems to maintain Sinatra's "essence" while crafting his own distinct sound. How is it I've gone this long without any of Matt Monro music in my collection?

Needless to say curiosity got the better of me and I ordered The Complete Singles Collection from Amazon.co.uk. Even if I don't wind up listening to much to his 70s and 80s stuff...what a find! Wow!

Artur Torres likes this.
  21. Yeah I don't normally buy much MOR stuff but this thread just got me to pull the trigger on this CD set !

My parents always used to listen to Matt on LP back in the 60s and 70s. What is it they say about you eventually turning into your parents!

Although I have to say I have always been a big sucker for Matt's voice. I remember hearing the "We're gonna change the world" single on British radio as a kid and I certainly liked that. I just need to figure out where to file this in my CD collection. I have a few Herb Alpert CDs so I guess I'll slot it in somewhere there.

Anway if I don't like it - my Mother's birthday is coming up in March !

22. Nowhere near long enough to take in this whole set yet BUT ... this is a stunning release! I posted earlier on the exceptional value and I need to add that this is beginning to look as though it will simply be the best value item in my whole 3000+ collection.

This has clearly been a real labour of love for all concerned and would be great value at several multiples of its current price.

If you've ever wanted to familiarise yourself with Matt Monro and never got round to it, buy this set. You won't regret it.

Best Wishes
    David

23. oxenholme

What a joy to hear I Love The Little Things for the first time in 45 years. Tony Hatch composition.

It's been a pleasant surprise just how many of the tracks I remember and just how good they are.

As David from Harrogate says, this release is stunning.

Artur Torres likes this.
  24. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

I've heard quite a few of Matt's tracks and I've always enjoyed them. I have been on the lookout for a compilation and this sounds like the ideal one, particularly if the restoration samples on Richard Moore's website are anything to go by.

25. Belive me - you won't be disappointed.

Best Wishes
    David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.