Mastering BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" again, leaving the "2 db step fades" intact...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm going to buy the AF version, too, but have you guys checked DCC prices lately? They're really not so bad. I bought a used copy of PS on the Classifieds forum here not long ago for $35.

Here's a BIN that just ended on eBay for $39.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pet-Sounds-Gold...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Jeff

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Depends on how quick the fade is.

I will say, I was putting together some CD-Rs of Beach Boys material over the summer, and used the DCC discs as source material for a lot of tracks. I actually did notice the 2db-step fades on a few songs. Most noticable, they just suddenly end, rather than gradually fading out into nothingness. But you have to really turn it up (or look at the waveforms, as I was) to notice it.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, when you did all this years ago, did you prepare what I'll call "restored masters", digital and analog, twice - meaning from both the solid-state and tube transfers you made of the old tapes, or just one "restored" set once you decided what playback sounded best? The tube playback of the old tapes in this case is thru special hybrid tube ATR electronics, right?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=279376

5. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I listened to the DCC disc this morning and was impressed by the following:

1) Steve's version has treated the bass instruments very well. Not only can you feel the bass, it drives the recording - but it is not bombastic

2) The subtle percussion parts DO come out much better than any other version on CD

3) I listened for the 2dB jumps in the fades and did hear them, but thought nothing of it. Sounded "natural" for the recording. Never bothered me at all, Steve.

"I Know There's An Answer" sounds particularly great - the interplay of the bass harmonicas and the keyboard parts, hearing the old reverb on the lead and backing vocal parts, the timpani that is finally audible, the banjo (which seems SO crucial to the middle section) is crystal clear (and trades off sonically where the tambourine had been prior).

I am looking forward to the vinyl pressing - Steve, do we have street dates yet for this release? I am sure you will keep us posted!

Steve, I know your answer is probably NO, but if given the opportunity, would you go back to the "multitracks" and remix this for stereo? I know you hate the stereo remix, but there is something about the "space" that I enjoy...although ironically you continue to prove, as Spector also proved, that mono mixes can HAVE the depth if recorded and mixed properly.

I don't mean to "suck up", but I prefer YOUR version of Pet Sounds, hands down. Is Kevin helping with the disc cutting on this one?

I need some ALTEC monitors - anyone willing to let me borrow one? lol!

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just looked at ebay.com ...Pet Sounds DCC 145.00 dollars.

Cheaper than euroland ebay.de prices 300€

7. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yea, I saw that re-seal. They came with slipcases. What a crook.

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I have nothing to say save for I've never owned a Beach Boys album in my entire life. I always found their music too sunny but I'm ready to broaden my musical horizons. The Pet Sounds gold disc will be my first Beach Boys purchase ever. :)

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I curious what would make you start buying Beach Boys now?

By the way, Pet Sounds is mostly not very "sunny". Be interested in what you think after you hear it. Just don't let the hype get to you.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It might not hit you at first but I'm guessing you'll be surprised how different it is to other Beach Boys music that you've heard. On your first listen forget all the things you've heard about it and try to just hear to the music. The arrangements are the thing about this album. They're pretty brilliant.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

This cd (Audio Fidelity Gold CD) is a chance for people who missed out or can't afford the DCC of "Pet Sounds"................right?:)

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I'd choose smooth fades over step fades, regardless of original intent (put this in the category of the Rickie Lee Jones disc that everybody got huffy about). It's a minor thing though, no big deal.

14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I wouldn't say step fades were 'intended', they were what the faders on the mixing desk gave them... Had they mixed Pet Sounds at Abbey Road, they would have had smooth fades.

15. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Steve, I love the little details. I didn't know about the step fades, but since they're there, I wouldn't have it any other way. I do care and I do want them preserved! :) Thanks a lot for keeping them.

16. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Awesome. I can't wait. It's this attention to detail that, to my ears, leaves CDs mastered by you head-and-shoulders above the rest. And bypassing the mastering console and leaving the 2dB step fades intact? That's fantastic. Having the signal path as pure as possible seems like the way to go.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Good question! I guess I put it down to maturing musical tastes. I think it's probably Pet Sounds' reputation that has made me very curious about it. I really don't have any expectations one way or the other. I won't have any other Beach Boys albums to compare it to so you won't hear me saying it's "overrated" or anything if I don't happen to like it. I have my likes and dislikes as everyone else, I just find that as I get older, the things I do like far outweigh the things I don't like.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Folks really are a bit anal.

Me? I'll stick with me Pet Sounds box set. I really like that version. Stereo too, even better!

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I don't have the DCC, just the DVD-Audio version. I am now thinking of adding this to my Alice/Cars pre-order.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm happy with it! I like quirky stuff like irregular fades.

I kind of wish it wasn't HDCD, but When I het this, I can get rid of the other stuff. I really don't need the box anymore, either.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, like Steve says, it is what it is. Why screw with history?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is the right description of your post
    which I think is a tad impolite !
    Our is host doing PET SOUNDS again in MONO
    That's how it was originally conceived.
    You have the box-set (stereo option),
    let us BB PS MONO fans have it available again
    with Steve Hoffman mastering it once more !!!

Mono version, better still.

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I've never owned a copy of Pet Sounds as it was never big on my want list. Guess this will be a good time to get it.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Indeed I know where you are coming from. But when you read some posts its like -

"Steve why didnt you remaster from the tapes with authentic air preserved from the 1960's in the mastering suite to make sure its as definitive as possible. And didnt you ask Brian what temperature he had the studio at and what colour underpants he had when he recorded and mastered it? Just so you can be as authentic of course......."

I knew my liking of the stereo version would hook someone in.

25. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

You say that like it's a bad thing. :crazy:

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.