Mastering BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" again, leaving the "2 db step fades" intact...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I missed out on the Beach Boys
    DCC Pet Sounds gold cd
    which goes for BIG bucks these days.
    Then there is the availablility factor to consider.

In these desperate times
    of music quality control
    its great Steve has managed to
    to be involved again in classic album titles
    and for him to work his midas touch
    once more (and dare I say better this time)

2. I meant I wish everybody would chip in with what they did and put it in the liner notes so that we could read it if we so chose to do so, for every CD. For a "standard" CD release there could be a link to a forum or something that could have all that

And that is WHY it is that I don't have many

3. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Thanks for the update, Steve. Like everyone else, I'm really looking forward to this and how it compares to the DCC. I also hope we get a vinyl (I'll buy both CD and LP), and further Beach Boys releases would be a dream.

Also (like everyone else), I'd love to hear as much as you can divulge about your source for this project. And finally (gimme gimme gimme!), I understand there are economic factors involved, but I think it would be very interesting to include in the liner notes a well-detailed explanation of your mastering process for these titles. Just a humble request.

4. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

yea I agree, the audiophile versions needs to be released to represent the original master tape w/2 db fades there in tact. We will appreciate it. The commercial version for the masses is better off having it faded out sooner to avoid the abrupt fade cause they don't & won't care anyhow.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Thanks for doing this again Steve and giving those of us who missed the DCC a second chance to hear one of the greatest albums of all time the way it should be heard. As Brian wanted us to hear it.

Evan

6. emkay

emkay Senior Member

My man, just leaves 'em the way you finds 'em.

I'm perfectly happy to get this with 2db fades...

7. John

John Senior Member

Wouldnt it be nice to have the vinyl, oh wouldnt it be nice...

8. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Very interesting to hear that most or all reissues have started the fades early. The first time I heard the album, which was the 1980's Capitol green label LP, I was shocked at the way the songs seemed to fade out prematurely ("aww, I was just getting into it!"). I had assumed this was just a quirk of Brian's, but now I learn that the songs actually faded a little later, originally!

I too, would like to know how the fades were handled on the DCC CD.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The DCC has the step fades, same as the AF will.

10. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Thanks Steve. I always feel it "best" to not mess with the past...even if we know "better" now. I can't wait to hear this on vinyl. Sounds like it'll be a step up from the original vinyl.

Any plans to do "Holland" or "Surfs Up"? As much as I like "Pet Sounds" I love those 2 even more.

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Is there any story to that? I didn't know that there is an original mono mix.

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am happy about it- I love the idea of hearing it as it was intended. I look forward to buying the vinyl version, and love these glimpses behind the scenes.

Steve, did you master the Endless Summer limited edition vinyl currently available at AS?

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I noticed that The Band's "Brown" album is soon to be released as well on AF gold disc, also remastered by Steve! Has this been discussed on the board here? I totally missed it if it was.

14. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

From what I hear, the original pressings of HOLLAND sound pretty good as is!

15. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I was interested in reading about the fade differences. I never knew anything about that and find stuff like that fascinating.

Like many people here, I lusted after a DCC Pet Sounds but never was able to swing it. To say I am thrilled with the upcoming AF release and hearing this fantastic album as Brian heard it is a tremendous understatement.

16. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

They do. I must have at least 5 copies. But I'd really love to have a new, clean pressing with some of Steve's magic.

It's so nice to know there's at least a few folks out there who care enough to do this stuff right AND respect the original recordings.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I love TD. The 1990 CD became my default setting for PS, and now I miss TD if it's not there.

You can skip HOTYE. Who wants to think about Mike Love?

18. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I agree Kustom...these new pressings are quite yummy in general. For that alone, I am looking forward to the AF vinyl pressing of Pet Sounds!!! I read an interesting article in Sound and Vision a few months back that had a vinyl listening session and HOLLAND was one of the titles they chose...if you'd like more info please let me know and I can dig out the article.

19. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Thanks for that last bit of info Steve. Yes I have a DCC, the Fuzzy pack(like the DVD-A also), and some kind of LP, not to mention some of the songs elsewhere. BUT I do not have have a version with HDCD, or do I, I am so confused. BUT I do have a HDCD capable player, so yup I'm buying another.

Now we need more DCC titles on AF Gold with HDCD, LIKE Steve Miller Band Greatest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

I read that too!

It was an interesting read and a different look at people who enjoy sound and music.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Others may know more but I think a vintage Brian/Chuck mix of Trombine Dixie was discovered some time after the PS Sessions box.

22. nickelz24

nickelz24 Forum Resident

Don't mean to go off topic...but what exactly do you mean by slow wound?

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Some machines offer a fast wind speed that's not crazy fast, called "spooling mode". Rewinds at about 60 IPS so you still get a neat wind instead of it being erratically wound.

24. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Many of you here have the DCC - presumably a 2dB stepped fade OUT would be noticable so... is this present on the DCC?

25. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How would I know a 2db stepped fade from any other fade? They all sound the same to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.