Mastering BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" again, leaving the "2 db step fades" intact...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Thanks Steve. I just love having some insight into some of the little things you hear when (re)mastering and knowing some of the background. It adds to my appreciation of the music. I can't wait to hear this.

2. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Despite being a huge Beatle fan and hearing all of Paul McCartneys thoughts on Pet Sounds and how it influenced Pepper, I never have given this album a real listen. I look forward to this release to hear what I've been missing.

When exactly can we expect it?

3. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

Thanks, Steve. More than 35,000 posts on and your enthusiasm for good music never has never waned. I look forward to this latest gem.

4. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Gosh, I might actually buy this...I mean I have a 1966 Canadian LP (scratchy but authentic), a 1990 mono CD and the 1999 mono/stereo fer...but your post Steve, is really enticing.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

So am I miising something or is the new Audio Fidelity CD from a second generation tape?

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You are not keeping up, Marshall found a great new analouge to digital converter that is the basis of this whole series of discs.

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I came to the same conclusion reading Steve's post.

8. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

That's something I would like to know about as well.

9. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Good questions, I surmised the same thing....Steve has a high quality dub...perhaps all that is allowed today.

Keep any original vinyl you can find, mine is scratchy but authentic at least.

10. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Great insights, Steve, although I'll be lazy and just stick with the DCC I have (thus lessening slightly the competition for the new version).

11. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I dunno why, but I just love reading this stuff. Thx for posting.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve, thx for the deep insight info...

13. Steve,

Is that "promise" for the LP...or just a heart-felt "wish"?

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

A Request

Steve - I know this will sound like a silly request but... since you're going to so much trouble to keep the integrity of the recording please the art department to do the cover the way the DCC was done. PLEASE LEAVE THE COVER INTACT, FRONT AND BACK. PRETTY PLEASE. :angel:

That I can find the DCC is the only CD that perfectly replicates the cover (maybe there's a Japanese cardboard sleeve too) and it's nice to have that.

Please ask them do do that all over again.

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Steve,

May I please ask: What are you doing differently this time with AF as compared to the DCC pressing?

Thank you!

16. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

We luv ya, Steve.

17. PMC7027

I'm pretty sure that Steve doesn't have anything to do with the artwork. I suggest you send an e-mail to Audio Fidelity at: [email protected]

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

He doesn't but he can pass it along better than anyone. But thanks. I will write though I suspect that AF keeps the cost down with their art work the way it is.

19. PMC7027

In the e-mail I suggest you ask that it be passed along to Marshall. I've e-mailed AF a couple of times over the past few years and Marshall usually answers.

20. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

Thanks for the info Steve. You have sparked my interest in getting this vinyl just so I'll be able to crank it through my old Altec 604's and massive 8 watt SET ;-)

Cheers,

RW

21. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

I'd be interested to know as well. If you're doing a completely flat, straight transfer, what's your contribution to the effort this time around?

22. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I am in if there is a vinyl release! Never have heard a proper mono version of this record.

23. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Ya know, Pro Tools can smooth out those fades to perfection.

Just joking!

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Get the box set for the original speed version. It's in stereo. Then use some software, fold it down to mono and paste the dogs and train on the end...voila! That'd take less than 10 minutes with software. Otherwise, leave the original/sped up version alone. It's what was done in 1966 and (for better or worse) it is what it is :)

Steve,

1,000 thanks for keeping this real. I'm looking forward to hearing this!

25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The album as Brian intended had the speeded up version of Caroline No - it was Murry's suggestion but Brian's decision to use that version for the single and the LP.

oldsurferdude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.