Mastering BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" again, leaving the "2 db step fades" intact...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Ha!
    Ain't it the truth.
    (Audio geeks might be an exception ... for day one)

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

So, I was watching Michael Fremer's: 100 All Analog In Print Reissued Records You Should Own.

and the AP Mono Pet Sounds comes up and he said "This is cut from the best available source, not from the master tape. Nobody knows where the master tape is."

No-one knows where the master tape to PET SOUNDS IS!!! WHAT!

Have I not been paying attention? how could one of the most important records of all time have its master lost to time? (I might have this all wrong so bear with me)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
    tug_of_war likes this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

This is how a record sound when mastered under the influence...

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Good times.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Question and slightly off topic.

What tape was used to master the mono CD for the 1996 30th anniversary box? What is the general consensus of the sound?

6. Exotiki

Can you help me out here Steve and sort out my confusion?

7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Sometime after Steve had the master tape and it was used for the Reprise Brother So Tuff/Pet Sounds vinyl the master tape was lost. The New York copy of the tape - which Steve used also as he recounts above - is the earliest generation master still extant. But the multitracks of the Pet Sounds master takes exist, both instrumental and vocal, which is how a stereo version was created for The Beach Boys Pet Sounds box set.

8. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Well here we are.

9. Exotiki

I have heard of extreme levels of incompetence but how does of lose the master tape to PET SOUNDS!!!

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

That’s the great mystery, isn’t it? Put in the wrong tape box? Someone absconded with it? Discarded by mistake and destroyed? Nobody knows.

Exotiki likes this.
  11. Exotiki

That is crazy. To think that someone could be so careless with such an important item. Let's pray that it was just put in the wrong box and its found promptly

Anyway, this whole discussion got me back in a pet sounds mood. So I felt for my own amusement I thought I would try and right one of the wrongs of the 1996 Stereo Mix.

So for Wouldnt it be nice I synced up the 1996 Stereo Mix, Instrumental + Backing Vocals and the Mono mix and pulled Mike out of the mono mix and stuck him into the instrumental and crossfaded it with the stereo. It actually turned out pretty good.

WIBN Mike Love Bridge in Stereo - Clyp

I would love to see this technique used sometime in the future to possibly fix some of the missing elements in the Stereo Mix

12. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

That was on the UK pressings right up until the 1990s. I have one of the last ones (bought in 1990/1) and that dreadful mix is on there. Luckily, despite saying 'Stereo' on the front, the rest of the tracks are all in mono, proper mono.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Has to rank with the early 'Stereo' mixes on Elvis's Golden Records as one of the worst fake mixes of all time.

14. Exotiki

I just did a search to see what release that was.

The tapes been missing since 1972!!??

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

no no no I totally misspoke. I believe Wouldn’t it Be Nice was damaged after the Reprise vinyl release and was substituted with an inferior copy tape on to the master. Obviously it was sometime after the master was returned to Capitol after 1992 that it was lost.

Exotiki likes this.
  16. Exotiki

Oh! Well that gives me more hope (but not much)

17. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

This is really old (2006) and I have no idea if it is even accurate. Neat picture at the bottom.

Pet Sounds - lineage

lukpac and Exotiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.