MAD MEN -- Season FIVE Official Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putz

putz Forum Resident

There's usually a life ins policy bought on each partner to pay off the spouse upon the partner's death because the last thing you want is a spouse as one of your partners with no way to buy them out.

2. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Do they usually cover suicides?

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Pete did mention on the train that the insurance covers suicide after two years. . . an interesting bit of foreshadowing.

4. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

And it's possible it won't be all tragedy. I'm actually kind of hoping, with the deaths and departures out of the way, that the finale is a little more "fun" than the last few episodes. Don't get me wrong, darkness is an inherent part of the show and these have been outstanding episodes. I just don't think we have to assume the finale will "top" things by being more tragic.

5. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Dish is keeping AMC until at least June 30 so you and I will get to see the season finale. Dish was not too happy about AMC's messages during Mad Men and ending up relocating the channel as a result:

AMC, previously parked at channel 130, was exiled to channel 9609. IFC dropped from 131 to 9608 while We TV sank from 128 to 9607.

6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

He's the son of Matthew Weiner (executive producer). This explains a lot.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, it's as if he only has that job because he's related to somebody who runs the show. I don't mind him being creepy, but he can't act worth a crap. The little girl, Sally, is very good, and I buy her performance 100%.

BTW, I think this was a great episode, without a single wasted moment.

When they went five minutes without showing the body, I thought, "wow, that's remarkably restrained that they're not gonna show a body that's been dead for over 24 hours." Then there it was. Yikes...

Very, very, very good timing on the part of Weiner and the other writers & producers. And the whole deal with the Jaguar not starting was the blackest of black comedies.

No bloody way. This show is going down a very dark drain, bleak and black.

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Sure seems like it. Kind of strange , tho, that they dropped the Lane bombshell BEFORE the finale.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I actually think the Weiner fellow acts well enough.

10. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I think the kid that plays Glen acts just fine. He's supposed to be a quirky, kind of detached, outsider of a kid - I think he nails it.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I can't believe Ken Cosgrove turned down Roger's suggestion of partnership at the firm.

But Ken said if Sterling Cooper got his father-in-law's business, he wanted to be 'forced' onto the account.

Can someone remind me why Ken does not want to tap into his father-in-law for business? Wasn't this more fleshed out in prior seasons?

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't forget the elevator shaft!

I'll be very surprised if somebody doesn't drop right down it in the season finale. For all I know, the Dow Chemical guys will come over, get wined and dined, agree to a deal, then the president steps in the shaft and plummets 37 stories. That would cast a rather gloomy pall over the occasion...

13. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I thought Ken explained his disinterest in partnership quite well when he told Roger that he had seen what's involved (a thinly veiled dig at Joan's path to partner).

Ken explained last season that he didn't want work to interfere with his real life when he refused the partners' request to hit up his father-in-law. Ken seems to put a premium on work/life balance and has much healthier outlook on life than most of the other characters at SCDP.

14. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

This isn't "The Sopranos"...they've gotten grisly twice in five seasons, they're not going to do it in back-to-back weeks.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aw, come on -- it'd be a great WTF moment to end the season!

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Heck yeah! One of the many reasons I love this show is that anything can happen

17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

It might be Joan but I think it's probably Peggy. Remember they had a pact? He watched what happened to her. Also it was Roger that forced him to hide his writing.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Quite a shocker there with Lane. Loved the Jaq not starting....

Their really shaking things up lately...

Looking forward to the final...

19. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

When do they drop the "P"?

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Jeez they're passing out partnerships like halloween treats now.

21. misterdecibel

Maybe Ken doesn't want the scummy social aspects of the business to touch his family? The strip bars, sex with secretaries, Playboy Club type thing. That would also partly explain his insistence on excluding Pete. Or he doesn't want to learn what his father-in-law's own scummy habits are.

22. misterdecibel

That would be fun. The shaft would also be a good way to deal with Megan.

23. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

i'd take that as a subtle commentary on the industry's long history of bestowing partnerships based on short-term considerations (a quick acct, the prospect of better position on a big acct) . . . my experience has been that's it's pretty accurate.

24. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

not to be name-dropping (heh), but noir novelist George Pelecanos who worked on the Wire and Treme, says the penultimate (next to last) episode is the as coveted, if not most coveted: it tends to be action-packed, tying up loose ends and/or perfectly setting characters and plot points for the final payoff.

does seem to make sense . . . can you imagine the jockeying for position on that one season of the wire when the writing room included pelecanos, richard price AND dennis lehane, not to mention creator david simon?

i digress . . . i think Mad Men already holds up as one of the 4 or 5 most satisfying episodic dramas ever created for TV, and HBO's "pass" on it will go down as one of the biggest misses in TV history . . . Weiner's only 47--wonder what he'll do for a 2nd act?

d.r.

25. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

What everyone else said, plus I remember Ken saying he actually loves his wife and he doesn't want a business relationship with his father-in-law to come in between him and his wife, like it does with Pete and Trudy at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.