MAD MEN -- Season FIVE Official Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I would immediately switch, I'm tired of these cable/sat companies doing this crap. They are middlemen and provide no added value, I side with the networks in this case. My local cable company has done this several times but thankfully it was always with network channels like NBC so I could always switch over to OTA HD antenna, which actually looked and sounded better than digital cable (I did this all through 08 olympic opening ceremony because TimeWarner's digital signal had way too many artifacts in both audio and video).

Oh and as far as catching the finale, you might check iTunes, I think they usually have the episodes the next day or so. There are also...other places online you could probably find them if you know where to look, not that I normally advocate that kind of thing but desperate times and all.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If all else fails, you can always PPV the finale via iTunes, Amazon Instant Video or other services. Since it is only one episode, it should be no more than US$2.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Thanks for the iTunes tip -- I have a PS3 with Internet hooked up, so I was going to try to stream something through that worse comes to worst.

Good advice on switching too. I'm going to check rates on DirectTV this afternoon and if they offer me a better deal to switch and can hook me up by Sunday night, I'm heading there.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Mad Men Season 5 episodes are available PPV on VUDU, which is definitely PS3-friendly.

5. hutlock

Awesome. Thanks, Ken!

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Do the senior partners (Roger, Bert, Don and Lane) have equal shares of the company? I 'm asking because I have a hunch that Lane, before he died, transferred his shares to Joan....which could make her the largest shareholder.

7. hutlock

Oh WOW. That would be CRAZY.

8. user33977

user33977 Banned

Excellent observation! I noticed that Lane was very busy reading and writing some papers at home, before he left to make his failed attempt to start that shiny, new Jaguar car.

Werner.

9. dirwuf

Further research seems to indicate that Lane was a junior partner, and the transfer of his shares to Joan would only put her ahead of Pete....but not to the level of the others; still likely to get her name on the door however (infuriating Mr. Campbell).

10. hutlock

Now THAT seems much more likely to me. It would still be awesome though.

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

That Glen kid creeps me the hell out.

I wonder where this is going.

12. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

HA! I love it!

13. user33977

user33977 Banned

Junior partner only, are you sure? Isn't the company name Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce?

Werner.

14. dirwuf

Lane got his name on the door as a perk for his actions that created the firm (when he "fired" Roger, Bert and Don from the old agency)....a quick search on the internet shows him constantly referred to as a "Junior Partner"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Pryce

15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Amazon on demand will also have the show available the next day, so you should be able to either stream onto your TV--or at worst, watch on your computer.

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

No chance. He was too concerned for his wife and his son'd schooling. Lane's wife could emerge as player @SCD&P

17. dirwuf

Lane's wife will get insurance...I think he didn't want her to have anything to do with SCDP...

18. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Lane took out a loan for SCDP for $50,000 and then lied about it being a surplus. SCDP then gave out this money as Christmas bonuses - except to the partners. Lane then forged Don Draper's name on a check and embezzled around $8,000 from this same $50,000. How much did Lane initially invest in SCDP? I ask this because it seems Lane has caused a situation at SCDP that might negate Lane's initial investment that helped to create it.

19. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

When Don, Roger and Pete were attempting to get Lane's body down from the ceiling, were any viewers waiting for Roger to make a wildly inappropriate comment? :wave: I know I was.

I'm glad he didn't though ( that would have been too much).

20. hutlock

I must admit, I thought it was coming. Glad it didn't, as the scene was much more powerful without it.

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

In the past two weeks we've had the exit of the #2 billed character who was part of the foundation of the ensemble, then the death of another major character, I can't imagine that the season finale is going to be all happy endings. I figure either the firm is near collapse, or Don's marriage crumbles, or some other similarly major disaster is coming.

22. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Just in case this thing doesn't get resolved by Sunday, Dish Network has the channel in the 9000's. The channel itself is 9610. I would set your DVR's accordingly.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Any mechanics reading? My first thought when the Jag wouldn't start (and I knew it wouldn't) was that he shouldn't have put the tablecloth into both exhaust ends, that would cause it to not start. . . .

I agree that there will be another surprise or two in store next week. But in typical fashion, I don't think it will be predicted here.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Of course not, but it's fun to speculate anyway.

25. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I don't know how advertising agencies work, but other professional partnerships (e.g. law firms) usually don't work that way. The shares are not transferable. If anyone leaves (by resigning or dying), the departed partner's shares simply "un-dilute" the other partners' percentages. It all depends on how the partnership agreement is written. (Though there may be some sort of death benefit for the widow.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.