MAD MEN -- Season FIVE Official Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's why I was saying last week. Although, it could be the writers playing with us.

In case anyone didn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilerplate_(text)

Boilerplate (text)

Boilerplate is any text that is or can be reused in new contexts or applications without being changed much from the original. Many computer programmers often use the term boilerplate code.

Etymology

The term dates back to the early 1900s, referring to thick steel sheets used to build steam boilers. From the 1890s onwards, printing plates of text for widespread reproduction such as advertisements or syndicated columns were cast or stamped in steel (instead of the much softer and less durable lead alloys used otherwise) ready for the printing press and distributed to newspapers around the United States. They came to be known as 'boilerplates'. Until the 1950s, thousands of newspapers received and used this kind of boilerplate from the nation's largest supplier, the Western Newspaper Union.[citation needed]

Some companies also sent out press releases as boilerplate so that they had to be printed as written. The modern equivalent is the press release boilerplate, or "boiler," a paragraph or two that describes the company and its products

The song playing under the end of the last scene and closing credits was the Lovin' Spoonful - "Butchie's Tune". Interesting song choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrLAYc5CLk

2. How do you know that? Did you get a sneak-peak at next week's season finale?

3. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

From the guitar in the song, I guessed it was Lovin' Spoonful. I didn't know the name of the song until I used Soundhound.

4. Good guess. Google was my friend on that song. :)

5. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

You are right, I don't know if Peggy will be in next week's show. I was just going on the previews I saw at the end of the show and my guess that there are other story lines to complete at the end of the series before they pursue a storyline with Peggy at her new Ad agency.

6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Now that was a great episode - as sad as it was. Now, how many of you guessed that the Jaguar wouldn't start? I really annoyed my wife and daughter by blurting that out loud before he turned the key.

7. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

It would have been way too obvious for Lane to shout, "They really are lemons!" But that's what was going through my mind. His final choice -- necessitated by that faulty Jag -- to hang himself in his office probably was better than one that virtually guaranteed his wife would find his body. Now Don has to be the one to break the news to her, if I interpreted the preview of next week's episode correctly.

How long is Betty's bitterness at Don's new marriage going to last? Referring to Megan as Don's "child bride" was a bit much for me. At least she showed a smidgen of compassion toward Sally's transition to womanhood.

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Peggy

>>>>>Why does anybody even think there ARE going to be story lines about Peggy at the new agency. I would disagree completely. I think, with the show to run only two more of those short AMC seasons, that they have wrapped up the Peggy character. They have plenty to do with wrapping up what happens to Don and to the new agency, and Betty as well. C'mon guys!!

9. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

Well, if you thought that episode eleven was disturbing, episode twelve easily eclipsed it.

For the first time in forever I felt seriously ill watching television!!!

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It was a wonderful dialog free scene with the blackly humorous topper being the shot of Lane attempting to fix the car while holding half of his broken spectacles up with one hand. That image has stayed with me as much as the more obviously gruesome one that followed. Nice work by the director and Jared Harris.

Betty is deeply wounded and frustrated, but I think realizing that Sally actually needs her may help to get her back on track.

Similarly, Don's gesture to Glen may help pull him out of his emotional tailspin after the frustrating "Holden Caufield Monday" with Sally. (Skipping boarding school, calling adults "Phonies", going to the museum - there's no way they were not trying to evoke "Catcher in the Rye" .)

11. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I did the same thing. As soon as I saw him prepping the car, I started chuckling. My wife thought, inaccurately this time, that I was highly insensitive. The whole scene was just perfect!

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Really good episode last night. I also saw the Jaguar irony from a million miles away. Still played out brilliantly, though, with Lane's attempt to fix the bloody thing as Ken pointed out above.

Can we start a write-in campaign to have Weiner's son removed completely from any future episodes of the show? Marten Weiner is a terrible actor, and drags down every scene he's in. It might have been ok at the beginning when his deadpan, soulless acting "skills" may have helped contribute to the character's creepiness factor a bit, but now it's just plain distracting and annoying. Am I alone in my disdain for him?

13. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I don't hate the kid's acting, but I agree that the deadpan style doesn't really work for the character anymore. Unless the creepiness returns. Didn't the trailer show Megan getting some sort of crank call in the final episode?

14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It did, and that's immediately what crossed my mind when I saw it.

15. Hard Panner

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm not sure I'd even give her credit for a smidgen. She was only happy because she saw herself as "winning" the battle with the "child bride" and only because she got to deliver the "lesson" that if a woman is in discomfort or pain, it means that "everything's working" That's one heck of a terrifying insight into her psyche right there.

We didn't get anyone falling out a window, but they did tease the audience with that long lingering look at the snow falling. For a second there I was expecting the show to cut to Pete having to work his way past police tape blocking the sidewalk the next morning.

17. Hard Panner

Yep, Holden and Sally!

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

And somehow they're going to have to top this for the season finale!

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Five seasons of Mad Men have shown that the trailers are deceptive. Like they'll show Roger holding his chest yelling, "Stop it! I can't take anymore! This is killing me!", and you think he's going to have a breakdown in the next episode and suffer another heart attack. Then when the episode airs, the bit comes from Roger eating a big piece of cake for desert and joking around.

20. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Oh I know, but it's just fun to speculate even though predictions made about this show almost never happen that way. The trailer for this week's episode showed Don telling Megan "you can't tell anyone about this". We were made to think that he was talking about how Joan was made a partner. Instead it had to do with Lane getting caught!

21. Hard Panner

Probably the most used line in the previews - one of the characters saying to another character off camera "Are you serious?"

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just catching up with the thread, and this thing about Sal appearing in last week's episode ("The Other Woman") is not correct.

Was so surprised to read this that I went back and fast-forwarded to Megan's casting scene. None of the three guys on the sofa was Salvatore.

23. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Anyone else have Dish Network?

Well, they have just dropped AMC (and IFC, just FYI) and now I have no idea how I'm going to see the Mad Men Season Finale next week (let alone the next season of Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, The Killing, etc!)

Damn company politics -- GIMME BACK MY SHOWS!!!

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I saw the ad about Dish Network on AMC during Mad Men. What is the dispute about?

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

No idea, that was the first I had heard of it too -- then yesterday, the channel was gone, along with IFC. We now DO have HDNet in place of AMC (assigned to its number on the box) but nothing in place of IFC.

I'm going to do some googling this morning and see if I can get to the bottom of this though. My wife is going to MELT DOWN if she doesn't see that season finale.

EDIT: HMMMMMM. Looks like the channels ARE there, but Dish Network moved them into the listings ghetto -- they are in the 9608-9609 range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.