LP Storage Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Meddle_Guy, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manimator

manimator New Member

2. 3rdid

3rdid Forum Resident

Well I'm definitely intersted, post when ready please.

3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Check out my post No. 19 (with pics). It is really very easy, just make the effort!

JG

4. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Here is the rough drawing of mine. The important part is the construction. On the back of the shelf, each spot where a shelf meets a wall is reinforced with an "L" bracket or a 'T' bracket. This shelf is open on the back because it was intended to reside behind a sofa. (WAF demanded that it not be visible)

Each shelf is also joined to the vertical supports with two wood screws each. I countersank each one to ensure a smooth surface for the records. To countersink, drill your normal pilot hole for the screw. Then get a drill bit that is the same width as the head of the wood screw. Drill a slight indentation on top of your pilot hole so that the head of the screw will nest in it.

This same design can be done vertically but I would definitely put a thin plywood backing on it or further secure it from parallelograming with a strap across a couple of the 'cubes'.

As for cutting, I placed emphasis on the horizontal boards - shelves. These are all solid. The vertical dividers are short boards that fit to ensure a 13" vertical space for the records. This particular shelf can be built from two 4'x8' sheets of mdf if you are clever about laying out your cuts. Finally, the shelf is 14" deep - primarily for the record cleaner 'notch'.

Finishing is the fun part. I found that any 3/4" trim fits great on the front-facing surfaces and adds a nice touch. Just nail it on with thin brads. Then fill in the screw holes on the shelf surfaces - and any other 'gaps' with wood putty. Once it is dry, paint with Killz or other basic white primer (don't skip this step!). Then you are ready to paint the shelf. I found that a 4" roller really made the work go quickly and produced a smooth finish.

Important: Let the shelf dry for a couple of WEEKS before you put your heavy records on it!

Attached Files:

5. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

6. 3rdid

3rdid Forum Resident

Those shelves looked great, I think I'd like to build a full-wall unit just like that. But I've got a quick, and perhaps silly, question.

Has anyone here ever worried about what problems might crop up due to the sheer weight of a massive vinyl collection?

Due to a wet basement¹, the bulk of my media has been relegated to a small room up in the attic my house. I don't know the history of it's renovations or basic constructions (it's a pretty old house) but given some of the shoddy workmanship and shortcuts I've uncovered while tackling some past DIY projects, my biggest concern/nightmare is that one day my racks will come crashing thru to the floor below because someone decades ago opted for "quick & cheap" over "structurally sound" when it was first converted into living space.

¹ A flood, due to burst pipes, claimed my entire 45 collection, about 2 hundred LPs and a few boxes of CDs.

7. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

What I'd like is something like the LP bin but made of plywood or hardwood with no veneer. After I complete my upcoming move, I think I'll try to find a local carpenter to make something like that for me.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I use Jetmax Modular Storage from Michael's craft shop. I buy the ones that are shelving (not drawers) and turn them on their side so that the LP's can be stored vertically. They are very inexpensive, especially if you take your time and wait for frequent 40% off coupons.

I have a couple of the drawer models for cassettes and various small items.

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I was anxious about the weight of the LPs on my suspended wooden floor. The unit I built is in an alcove to the left of the fireplace (which I don't use). I first put in the base which is very sturdy, then I put two 8' lengths sitting on the base but they are also screwed to each side wall (for extra support), then I put 4 supports across each shelf with the end supports again screwed to the walls. I tried to get as much support from the side and back walls as well as the floor, hopefully it does the trick. It is certainly sturdy anyway!

JG

10. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

11. manimator

manimator New Member

i looked into this option last year. I never found a source here in the US. the shipping was crazy expensive so i passed on it.

12. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

I got an expedit today (and a VPI 16.5!)

[​IMG]

I guess I need to get more LPs now!

13. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

Couldn't help but notice your user ID.I was hanging out with Wood and Aaron
    at the start of MITB and worked with Aaron and Joel in Controlling Hand(a post
    MITB hardcore/prog band).
    Back on subject, nice shelves and is that a bottle of Photoflo on the bottom
    shelf for DIY record cleaner? Nice VPI cleaner too!

14. Macca

Macca R'kid

Nice! I like the picture because the shelf is half full (or half empty) it shows a collection of quality instead of quantity. At least that's what I'd like to think. :righton:

15. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Don't worry, you will.

16. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I'll throw my 2 cents in for the Gothic Cabinet shelves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solid construction, designed for LPs, sectioned, raises the vinyl above floor level and is stackable. I currently have four that I finished myself.

17. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

Holy wow that's cool. Don't think I've ever heard Controlling Hand. I'll have to check it out. Is there a myspace or somewhere I can listen? I've been searching but can't really find anything.

And yes, you'd be right about the Photoflo. Going to try and make some cleaner today. That other bottle is some of that Clorox Greenworks stuff, which looks promising for getting rid of grease. I'm going to experiment with a bunch of stuff though.

Thanks. I like to think that too. :)

18. Evan Guest

Unfortunately, we died quite a death.We're all apologies and brotherly love again.
    Trip on our Atavism of Twilight CD from 92 though Connell only plays Percussion on the last and best of 4 tracks. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATAVISM-OF-TWIL...iewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

If you like that I can send you a CDR or 2 of Controlling Hand.I actually remember
    hanging out with the Crossed Out guys in 91-92 and a big show with MITB in San
    Diego, CA where I gave the guitarist of CO a tape of Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On
    Broadway as he was getting into Prog and asking me about what to get.They were
    really cool guys who looked like hippies but were brutal on stage.Some of the fastest power chord riffing anywhere, ever!

Back on subject, great shelves that are nice, black, and well kept! :D
    Let me know how the Green cleaner works too.Careful with the Photoflo, it's
    kind of tempting to use too much as it takes so little, kind of like LSD, but I
    digress. :shh:

19. shakehurst

shakehurst Member

This is cool!

20. Evan Guest

I wish I had known how lucky I was at the time.It was an incredible scene.
    We should start a thread about Hardcore on the Music Forum but all the
    naysayers tend to irritate me.I'm having incredible luck on the LP Storage
    thread as it is.
    OK, for LP shelves I bought a Gorilla Shelf at Costco, added fitted Melamine
    sides, and have about 3,000 LPs conveniently available in one place.

21. shakehurst

shakehurst Member

Well, at least there'd be the three of us... ! haha

Storage for me... I built a wall unit two summers ago. It was built with the main focus being record (and other) storage and making the room less cluttered. Here's a photo I just snapped (excuse the mess):

[​IMG]

Need to build another shelf as I've moved things around and created a bunch of space up above the 7"s there, so room for more junk!

22. newanvil

newanvil Member

Proof you can build your own

Like many vinylphiles, I have a storage problem, too. First, about 15 years ago, I bought two LP racks made by a local guy here in Chicago that held about 450 LPs each. At 1,000 LPs, I was out of space. So I built new cabinets by exact copying the ones I had bought. At 1,200 Lps, I needed another rack. Again, at 1,500, 1,750, and 2,000. Each time, I built new racks by creating duplicates or modifying the design to fit the space. Now, at 2,500 LPs in the collection, I'm faced with the same problem. Only this time, I'm considering stopping buying LPs instead of building new racks. We'll see how that goes.

I'm hardly the handiest guy in the world, so I encourage anyone who can to give it a shot. And, if you're in the Chicago area, and would like to stop by and measure my racks for a template, it can certainly be arranged.:righton:

Attached Files:

23. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I can stop anytime I want. Really. It's just that I don't want to right now.......

My name is Dave, and I am an vinyl-holic.

24. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Hi Dave :wave:

25. manimator

manimator New Member

Dave, No more storage for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.